Drug Enforcement Channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I caught a surveilance operation on the radio today some was encrpted but most were in the clear. I am wondering who this channel belongs to. It was on 170.350 with NAC 340. Needless to say it was very interesting listening to them this afternoon for a couple of hours.

Last edited:

KB1UAM

I don't think its such a good idea to give out so much information about what you heard. if its in the 170s maybe its dea?????

kb7yvx

its quite frequent to hear that,,most of it is in the clear at least one side of the conversation
those of us up north can hear them too

ecps92

UAM - look in the Wiki before Speaking. :roll:

DEA is UHF [406-420], just like the Repeater in your back area.

What is being heard is part of the IWN [Integrated Wireless Network]
This one Frequency has been known to use more than one NAC
a.) Local vs b.) Wide Area vs c.) ???

So far found on this one Freq is $130, $230, $340, and $20C in AZ

PS - no need to Cross post, folks will find your posting in due-time and reply
http://forums.radioreference.com/ar...038-drug-enforcement-channel.html#post1844144

I don't think its such a good idea to give out so much information about what you heard. if its in the 170s maybe its dea?????

Last edited:
UAM - look in the Wiki before Speaking. :roll:

DEA is UHF [406-420], just like the Repeater in your back area.

What is being heard is part of the IWN [Integrated Wireless Network]
This one Frequency has been known to use more than one NAC
a.) Local vs b.) Wide Area vs c.) ???

So far found on this one Freq is $130, $230, $340, and $20C in AZ

PS - no need to Cross post, folks will find your posting in due-time and reply
http://forums.radioreference.com/ar...038-drug-enforcement-channel.html#post1844144

Thanks for everybody replies. I am surprised that they wouldn't encript both sides of the conversation especially since alot of info they discuss is sensitive stuff. I live about 40 miles south of Phoenix and their conversations were crystal clear. Don't know if that is because I am catching it off the south mountain towers. I have the 10th edition Phoenix/Tucson metro guide and I couldn't find that frequency listed anywhere both under Federal Government and Arizona State including Customs and Border protection.

I will plug these other NAC's in you listed and see what comes up with them. Question: some NAC's use alphabets versus numbers? You listed one as $20C. What does the dollar symbol represent? Thanks.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for everybody replies. I am surprised that they wouldn't encript both sides of the conversation especially since alot of info they discuss is sensitive stuff. I live about 40 miles south of Phoenix and their conversations were crystal clear. Don't know if that is because I am catching it off the south mountain towers. I have the 10th edition Phoenix/Tucson metro guide and I couldn't find that frequency listed anywhere both under Federal Government and Arizona State including Customs and Border protection.

The encryption is done on each individual radio, not through the radio system. Some users leave the radio in the secure mode, some don't - it all depends. Some agencies, particularly Department of Justice, usually program the radio to be encrypted full time and not up to the user.

These frequencies have only recently become active, within the last 2 years or so. I think the last Phoenix/Tucson guide is older than that. CBP comms have undergone a lot of changes in southern Arizona over the last few years, with new frequencies popping up, so keep searching.

- Chris

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Please don't cross post. Please don't post questions that identify ongoing surveillance operations. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.