Java program to decode DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamhere300

Ok. I will admit it. I am computer stupid anymore. I even used to run a computer BBS on TI computer. But those days are gone.

I have a radio, Motorola gm300 with discrimator output. Going to a desktop computer with dual core, etc.

I downloaded the JAR build 56 at https://github.com/IanWraith/DMRDecode/downloads

I have a DMR radio set up on 151.625 simplex, and the GM300 is also set up to that frequency.

I *should* be golden.

Here is where the software stupid comes into play though.

I open the directory that contains the JAR build, that has been unzipped. No executable file. What do I do now? Can someone make this "software advice for dummies?"

I want to put up a couple of online DMR radios for a couple of systems, but need the programming info.

Step by step folks. Take it slow. Remember - thermo nuclear physics was complicated for you too at some point.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
dmrdecode_b56.jar is the executable, just double click it to run.

iamhere300

Thanks, Java is onboard, and gave up on the windows zip file and just went with the JAR - and it seems to come up. Tomorrow at the office I will connect it to the radio and test it.

Thanks again!

Pro-106 help

ok, I am not sure what number I am in the "stupid question department" :) but I have a Pro-106 digital radio and I downloaded the program and its seems to open fine. Can I use my programing cable to connect to my laptop via usb port or do I need to do it a different way. Anybody with a Pro-106 using this decoder?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
You will need to add a discriminator tap to your Pro-106. I've tapped both my 106 and 197 and they work great with DMRDecode.

nycap

Hi everybody. I have the decoder syncing and its writing lines on the screen but (1) i have no voice or sound out of the speakers of the computer; and (2) its not giving me the full information like radio id, color code and everything.

what should i do? thanks in advance?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
You won't get sound... This program doesnt decode audio. What are you seeing scrolling by? Have you tried selecting (or de-selecting) the Invert option?

nycap

You won't get sound... This program doesnt decode audio. What are you seeing scrolling by? Have you tried selecting (or de-selecting) the Invert option?

what is on the screen looks mostly like this:

CACH: TACT AT=1 Ch 1 Last fragment of LC
1:45:11 PM DMR Voice Frame
CACH: TACT AT=1 Ch 1 Last fragment of CSBK
CACH: TACT AT=1 Ch 2 First fragment of LC

i get the colour code at the bottom. but shouldnt i be getting tgid and unit id information?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Ok, if you are seeing the colour code that's a good sign. That means the Invert option is set properly.

You should see call information in the 'Ch 1' and 'Ch 2' boxes beside the colour code. If you don't (and I've found sometimes it won't show) there are a couple things to try. First, how strong is your signal? DMRDecode doesn't like booming in 5/5 signals... It basically overloads and won't decode 100% effectively. If this is your case, try turning on the attenuator on your radio if it has it. If it doesnt you can try removing the antenna altogether or using a 'crappy' one. As an example I was sitting in a parking lot of a place using MotoTRBO and was trying to decode their signal. My scanner was showing full bars, yet I wasn't really decoding much at all. But by removing the antenna and just using a paper clip in its place it would decode like nobody's business. Same result if I leave the antenna on but relocate a few blocks away.

You can also try enabling logging (Main/Save To File) and see if you can capture the info that way. When you are done logging make sure to go back into the menu and deselect Save To File or the file may not close properly. Any groups & users captured will be summarized at the end of the file.

nycap

thanks Forts. i havnt looked at the signal strength meter on my scanner but the bar on hte bottom DMR Decoder is always green. i dont know if i have an attenuater on my scanner yet, ill have to read the manual. changing sqelch/volume dose not change the singnal level going to the soundcard. im going to play withit tommorow and do what you said. the wife is here now and she hates it when i play with my radios ;-)

nycap

here is what i got in the saved text file:

DMR Decoder (Build 56)
You have selected only to display frames without errors
You have selected not to display voice frames

No users were logged

but here is a line from the program screen:

6:02:26 PM Short LC: Acct_Updt - Group voice activity on BS time slot 1 Hashed Addr 170:No activity on BS time slot 2

so if there was group activity should i be getting gourp id and unit id? thanks.

ThePagerGeek

Premium Subscriber
Using build 56 on a Trbo Connect Plus system. Pro-197 with discriminator tap. Seems to be decoding fine.

Could someone direct me to where I can find the LCN for the voice channel I'm listening to?

The quick log shows the slot easy enough, but not the LCN?
I cannot seem to find anything related to an LCN in the full log either?

Any help would be appreciated!!!

tpg

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
They don't really use an LCN like Capacity Plus does. Each repeater is programmed in using the Option Board CPS, and is assigned a 'Radio ID', the frequency information, color code and whether or not it's a control channel. I'm not sure how the system handles channel grants and tells the subscriber radios where to go. I don't think we quite understand that part yet.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
here is what i got in the saved text file:

DMR Decoder (Build 56)
You have selected only to display frames without errors
You have selected not to display voice frames

No users were logged

but here is a line from the program screen:

6:02:26 PM Short LC: Acct_Updt - Group voice activity on BS time slot 1 Hashed Addr 170:No activity on BS time slot 2

so if there was group activity should i be getting gourp id and unit id? thanks.

I would think you should have seen something.... it says you aren't displaying voice frames. Maybe try turning that off and see if you get more activity.

ThePagerGeek

Premium Subscriber
They don't really use an LCN like Capacity Plus does. Each repeater is programmed in using the Option Board CPS, and is assigned a 'Radio ID', the frequency information, color code and whether or not it's a control channel. I'm not sure how the system handles channel grants and tells the subscriber radios where to go. I don't think we quite understand that part yet.

I'll stare at the CC to see what I can figure out.

EDIT:
Looks like the CC defines which LCN to go to:
>12:00:46 PM DMR Data Frame
>Slot Type : Colour Code 1 CSBK
>Connect Plus CSBK : CSBKO=3
>Channel Grant : LCN 4 Source 14037 Group 280

Watching the voice channels, there are no indications as to which LCN they are.

More hunting...

Thanks,
tpg

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I'll stare at the CC to see what I can figure out.

EDIT:
Looks like the CC defines which LCN to go to:
>12:00:46 PM DMR Data Frame
>Slot Type : Colour Code 1 CSBK
>Connect Plus CSBK : CSBKO=3
>Channel Grant : LCN 4 Source 14037 Group 280

Watching the voice channels, there are no indications as to which LCN they are.

More hunting...

Thanks,
tpg

You'll need a second receiver scanning the voice channels while you watch the CC activity so you can match frequency to LCN. Shouldn't be too difficult.

ThePagerGeek

Premium Subscriber
You'll need a second receiver scanning the voice channels while you watch the CC activity so you can match frequency to LCN. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Yup, that's what I suspected. Other than cheating and just reading one of the radios from the system.... but where's the fun in that?!

tpg

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Remember... if you do read a radio from a Connect Plus system you will need the regular CPS along with the Option Board CPS. When using the Option Board CPS you need to read the codeplug along with the frequency information (they are done separately).

Status
Not open for further replies.