Current CO DTRS Tower Map

Status
Not open for further replies.

utlchris

Looking to see if anyone could share any current DTRS tower map they may have on file. The ones on RR are a little out of date and the ones on the WIKI are blurry if opened and printed. Section map, full/high resolution, whatever one might have would be great. Thanks!

soundchaser

Looking to see if anyone could share any current DTRS tower map they may have on file. The ones on RR are a little out of date and the ones on the WIKI are blurry if opened and printed. Section map, full/high resolution, whatever one might have would be great. Thanks!

If you're referring to the wiki maps I made, I can give you the Radio Mobile file that has the towers, then you can choose which map service to super impose them onto. You'd be able to get any resolution you want. However, it's very tedious and you have to know Radio Mobile. In addition, the file doesn't have towers for the entire state, just east and west of the front range and some areas around Durango.

The wiki maps use fairly high image compression because they were over a megabyte each. Also, for a lot of the maps I used the OpenStreetMaps project since there were copyright issues with services such as MapQuest. The images from OpenStreetMaps weren't as clear.

utlchris

If you're referring to the wiki maps I made, I can give you the Radio Mobile file that has the towers, then you can choose which map service to super impose them onto. You'd be able to get any resolution you want. However, it's very tedious and you have to know Radio Mobile. In addition, the file doesn't have towers for the entire state, just east and west of the front range and some areas around Durango.

The wiki maps use fairly high image compression because they were over a megabyte each. Also, for a lot of the maps I used the OpenStreetMaps project since there were copyright issues with services such as MapQuest. The images from OpenStreetMaps weren't as clear.

Thanks for your work on the maps I (we) do appreciate it. I have started to plot them with the XY on Google Earth. I feel your pain for the tedious work you have done. One would think it would not be too hard to plug in the info and save it but it is.

dw2872

If anyone has or will put these into Google Maps (either online or in a Google Earth file) please let us know! It would be great to have them in Google Maps/Google Earth!

You could then zoom in on satellite view or fly in on Google Earth and see the actual sites.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
If anyone has or will put these into Google Maps (either online or in a Google Earth file) please let us know! It would be great to have them in Google Maps/Google Earth!

You could then zoom in on satellite view or fly in on Google Earth and see the actual sites.

Are you asking for the coverage maps in Google Earth or just tower locations? The DB already has a map of the tower locations here:
Site Map: State of Colorado DTRS Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State

utlchris

kadras

The list of towers gives the same latitude, longitude and range for every tower in a particular county. The lat/lon appears to be the "geographic center" of the county. I sorted the list by county name and that's how it is in every county.

You don't have to look very far to see it. Compare the coordinates for towers #3, Silver Heights, and #4 Westcreek, in the list. You can see it again with towers 45 and 46 in Park County.

Mike

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Thanks.... Missed that one and it looks to be up to date as well. Was trying to figure out the tower numbers but looks to be in hex. Would be nice to have the primary CC listed in the notes. However, I do appreciate all the work someone has done!

I believe that it just picks up and plots whatever GPS coordinates are provided based on the licenses that are associated to a particular site. I guess Greenthumb would be the one to thank since he entered all the tower data into the DB.

Is that map file available for download anywhere?

I'm not to sure about this. Maybe the DB admins can help with this.

As for the range data, it's probably a number associated to output power or something that they threw into the DB to keep the field occupied.

dw2872

Here's what I have for the Pikes Peak Region sites:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208813687226050018822.0004d0afe931810416ca8&msa=0

I may have some minor details wrong, so if anyone sees errors, let me know. But it works for my purposes in the area.

It would be nice to show coverage areas for each site (with terrain contours and not just a perfect circle). But that would take a more expensive program to run that data.

Zoom in on the sites (using the satellite view, not the map view) and you should be able to see the actual site antenna(s). The Black Forest and Austin Bluffs sites have the best views when zooming in on the antenna.

Last edited:

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
Yeah, that's definitely not the ranges that we have configured for the point/radius at each site. I'll touch base with Lindsay to see if this can be fixed to show the lat/lon and radii of the sites instead of the counties. I would guess it's a bug...

Last edited:

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
That's great to have the data on an interactive map! :) That should be integrated on the main DTRS DB page and get rid of the outdated map.

I'll see about getting that in there instead - it would be much easier to have that one there updating itself alongside the database instead of having to manually edit the map in paint. I'll work on that and also see if Lindsay can put something other than the notes in the pins when you click on them.

utlchris

I'll see about getting that in there instead - it would be much easier to have that one there updating itself alongside the database instead of having to manually edit the map in paint. I'll work on that and also see if Lindsay can put something other than the notes in the pins when you click on them.

Much appreciated. Would be nice if one could somehow also download that map file so one could print out say a large 36"x36" image of them. Maybe a small label with tower name and primary CC?

Also a little off topic but would there be a way to have the primary CC for all towers to show in the first column instead of random columns?

Status
Not open for further replies.