BCT15x static on a nearby frequency, but not others

Status
Not open for further replies.

zach6480

Feed Provider
I have a bct15x and all of my local frequencies come in great, except my local fire department. Neighboring Police/Fire come in clear, but for some reason my local FD has a ton of static. I searched all over and the frequency is correct, with the correct tone. I tried setting the BCT15x to search for the tone as well, and also set the attenuator both globally and for that specific channel... nothing worked.

Is there anything that might cause static to this particular channel and not anything else? I am close by to the antenna (<3 miles) but the police which is equally as close, comes in clear.

I have a bct15x and all of my local frequencies come in great, except my local fire department. Neighboring Police/Fire come in clear, but for some reason my local FD has a ton of static. I searched all over and the frequency is correct, with the correct tone. I tried setting the BCT15x to search for the tone as well, and also set the attenuator both globally and for that specific channel... nothing worked.

Is there anything that might cause static to this particular channel and not anything else? I am close by to the antenna (<3 miles) but the police which is equally as close, comes in clear.

What kinda antenna are you using? What kinda system are they using?

Could be just a bad spot your in or something wrong with there system.

zach6480

Feed Provider
What kinda antenna are you using? What kinda system are they using?

Could be just a bad spot your in or something wrong with there system.

Stock antenna, It is a conventional frequency and I use Proscan to listen to the audio.

Frequency is 482.13750, but other frequencies in that range come in clear. For example my neighboring city's fire department is 483.38750 and its perfect. I know it is not the actual radio system because if I listen to the station via this website Scanner Medford Transcript (medford) there is minimal static. Here is a clip of both channels:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13147216/Somerville Fire - No static.mp3

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13147216/Medford FD -Static.mp3

zl2taw

it could be that the local repeater you are listening to has gone belly up, it has happened to me here in Brisbane a couple times

zach6480

Feed Provider
Try the scanner in a different area as across town or a few blocks

Its hooked up through my computer so thats easier said than done. I will have to take it across town and give it a try. It is just weird how everything comes in great, except this one station.

I'm the same way, as in I'm downtown less then 3 miles from the Repeater it's Static with full signal but if I'm 5-25 miles away full signal and its clear.

This is on the 800 Analog and I'm using a 996XT

zach6480

Feed Provider
Computer interference perhaps? Is the static still there with the computer off?

Manny

I will give that a try tonight. The computer may cause interference, but I would imagine it would affect other local frequencies as well. I could be wrong since I am new to this scanning thing.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Under normal circumstances you are right, but I have had some weird experiences with this type of thing and when I do get interference, the first place I check now is the laptop. It's a hit or miss thing but it's worth looking into. If it's not, then you just eliminated one more suspect! LOL

Manny

phask

Premium Subscriber
Under normal circumstances you are right, but I have had some weird experiences with this type of thing and when I do get interference, the first place I check now is the laptop. It's a hit or miss thing but it's worth looking into. If it's not, then you just eliminated one more suspect! LOL

Manny

What he said :)

Indoor antenna, hooked to a PC so it is obviously close. Surprising you don't get more.

I listened to the MP3 and that is what it sounds like. It can and is very frequency dependent, might not get anything on one and total noise on another.

BTW - that is not technically static, that is transmitted noise, rf noise etc. Static is "sparks" like a lightning burst, spark plugs or a switch closing.

Only way to eliminate if you determine it's that for sure is shield, move it farther away and go to an external antenna.

zach6480

Feed Provider
What he said :)

Indoor antenna, hooked to a PC so it is obviously close. Surprising you don't get more.

I listened to the MP3 and that is what it sounds like. It can and is very frequency dependent, might not get anything on one and total noise on another.

BTW - that is not technically static, that is transmitted noise, rf noise etc. Static is "sparks" like a lightning burst, spark plugs or a switch closing.

Only way to eliminate if you determine it's that for sure is shield, move it farther away and go to an external antenna.

Great info. If I go with an external antenna, should I still shield the scanner somehow? Im not sure how to shield it so any advice is appreciated.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Great info. If I go with an external antenna, should I still shield the scanner somehow? Im not sure how to shield it so any advice is appreciated.

In all honesty probably more work than it's worth and / or impossible.

You might try some rf chokes on the power leads, but IMHO never helped me and but I still used to put them on all the power lines.

KE5TLF

If you really want to get down and dirty and try to find out if it is a local source of interference...

Turn off all power to your house, and hook it up to a 12 volt battery, or mabye a UPS if you have one, and nothing else, and see if that makes a difference. If it does then start powering up things one at a time until the problem reappears.

Though not nearly as common as it was in older scanners, sometimes a particular frequency is just problematic for a given situatioin.

wtp

same problem..maybe

i used to live in new jersey. the next town over switched from 39 to 460 and i tried to find them.
i was about 4 miles from the transmitter to the north. i got the freq from a friend and could barely hear them.
but since i drove for a living i put it in my scanner and could hear them over 20 miles to the west.
maybe the direction was by accident like an antenna against an aluminium building. can someone with a portable help you?

Status
Not open for further replies.