MSP unit radio numbers (car vs trooper)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirk5056

Premium Subscriber
First, I am not asking about UIDs on MPSCS, I just learned that those can be labeled with Uniden XT scanners,

I have noticed that at least some Posts are using numbers for cars and individual Troopers. I have heard units check in with 54xx, then say they are driving car 54yy. My question is: is this statewide or just by each post? And if statewide, is there a system (ie I know Motor Carriers are XX90- XX99).

I am trying to learn the UIDs and assign them car or officer numbers, and plan to post them when I have figured more of them out. Maybe we could have a STICKY for UIDS so we can get more statewide.

thanks

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Last edited:

kirk5056

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, Ronaldski, great info but not really what I am looking for. I have been looking for some of those maps thou.

It was the convention for MSP units to just use the car number (XXxx where XX was the post number and xx was the car) but at least some Dist 5 and 6 posts seem to have assigned numbers to the individual troopers also (XX is the post and xx the trooper). And these trooper numbers seem to be the ones used on the radio. I have not been able to figure out a consistant system to know which are car numbers and which are trooper numbers (these numbers do not line up with the trooper badge number that they use when they give complaint info).

Fiveo

Premium Subscriber
Kirk,

The call sign they are using to identify themselves on the radio is their "trooper number" as you call it. They have not gone by the car number in quite some time. You will only hear their car number when they are doing their service check in, letting the dispatcher know what patrol unit they are in for the shift.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
And their "badge number" is exactly that, it doesn't change & it identifies them statewide, no matter what post they are assigned to.

They switched to assigned radio numbers some time ago; it also helps the dispatchers because when we hear an officer's voice, we tend to associate it with their number.

XX = Post number;
XX01 - Post Commander
XX0x - usually Sergeants
K9XX - self-explanatory
XX90's - Motor Carrier Officers

At one time, the car number that was painted on the roof was the actual car #, & the car # that was on the license plate didn't always match. To be honest, I couldn't even tell you if they still put car #'s on the roofs - I just haven't paid that much attention, or I haven't been in a position to be able to see the roof.......(I probably just started a snowball.......)

smartboy06

Premium Subscriber
For the Metro Post (someone correct me if I'm wrong):

210x- Command Staff
211x- Sergeants
212x-7x- Troopers
218x-9x- Motor Carrier
21100-beyond- More Troopers

The cars are spread out across the numerous detachments, D2 HQ in Taylor, and the actual post in Oak Park, so it's hard to predict what car numbers will be where. Troopers will be assigned patrol areas and generally can't leave those areas w/o sergeant approval (or obviously if there's an emergency):

Adam East- Oakland County- Royal Oak, Troy, Auburn Hills, etc (basically the I-75 corridor)
Adam West- Oakland County- Southfield, Farmington Hills, Novi, etc (96/696 corridor)
Baker- Macomb County
Bruce- Bruce Township
Charles- Detroit (old 29)
David- Suburban Wayne County (old 25)
Detroit Detail- Detroit, assisting DPD; they work off of D2POST

nsrailfan6130

And their "badge number" is exactly that, it doesn't change & it identifies them statewide, no matter what post they are assigned to.

They switched to assigned radio numbers some time ago; it also helps the dispatchers because when we hear an officer's voice, we tend to associate it with their number.

XX = Post number;
XX01 - Post Commander
XX0x - usually Sergeants
K9XX - self-explanatory
XX90's - Motor Carrier Officers

At one time, the car number that was painted on the roof was the actual car #, & the car # that was on the license plate didn't always match. To be honest, I couldn't even tell you if they still put car #'s on the roofs - I just haven't paid that much attention, or I haven't been in a position to be able to see the roof.......(I probably just started a snowball.......)

The idea of putting car #'s on the roof at anytime (past or present) is a new one on me. I know Post 18 & predecessor Post 42 (Adrian) never did that.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
The idea of putting car #'s on the roof at anytime (past or present) is a new one on me. I know Post 18 & predecessor Post 42 (Adrian) never did that.

I can remember seeing unit numbers on the roof of MSP patrol cars years ago. All of the units from District #2 had them in the 1970s. This was common practice across the state back then. This made it possible for aircraft to directly communicate with MSP patrol cars on the ground, and direct them accordingly during speed checks, and manhunts for prison escapees.

In fact, I can remember seeing two MSP units at the scene of a small plane crash in the early 1980s in northeast Branch County on Channel 10 news. You could tell the Tekonsha Post units with #43XX painted on the roof. Likewise Jackson and Jonesville units had 41 and 45 on the roof of their patrol cars. I believe this practice ended when LOJACK came into existence, and more antennas were added to the roof of the patrol cars in the mid-to-late 1980s.

73's

Ron

Fiveo

Premium Subscriber
Can't quite make out the roof numbers on this unit from the 70's...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 939

Jimmy252

Premium Subscriber
For what it's worth, I remember seeing a MSP charger with number on the roof on Fox2, here's a screen shot. I haven't seen any MSP cars with numbers on them lately though.

Attachments

• msp.jpg
    msp.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 920

jack3726

Long time ago the license plate matched some things as well. I am not sure if those days are still around or not. I have heard several post 64 cars check in saying they were in Ionia area. Maybe the cars move around by district need etc, I would think that might still be true.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
Post 54 (Coldwater) has assigned radio #'s.
5401 - Post Commander
5404 & 5407 - Sgt's
5421 - Det/Sgt
5410-5460 - Troopers
5493, 94, & 97 - MCO's
K954 - K9

Now, not all those trooper numbers are assigned; there are numerous numbers that are "skipped". I don't know why, they just are.

Fiveo

Premium Subscriber
Numbers are skipped because Troopers transfer to different Posts and assignments. They don't want people to have to change call signs every time a transfer out of the Post occurs.. As new recruits are assigned to Posts out of the academy, or a transfer into the Post occurs, they try to fill in the gaps. The guy with the nephew whose numbers match just happens to have an assigned car with the same number as his call sign, but his call sign is not determined by which car he is driving. For example, there is a Jackson Troop whose call sign is "1313" and he is assigned to car "1313", if car 1313 is in for repair and he takes car 1314, his call sign remains 1313.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I have heard troopers checking in with Washtenaw Metro Dispatch stating which car they are in. Occasionally, there will be a two-trooper car, and they pick a callsign to use, and give which car they are using.

Fiveo

Premium Subscriber
Krokus, I think what Jack was trying to say is that the Chips cars were different colors, not that the MSP Blue was off hue.

bigbluemsp

The Metro cars use the roof numbers becuase of the Air Units working the county (Trooper 1 or 2) depending on whats going on. They can identify with who is where by the roof number.

Status
Not open for further replies.