opensky

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc9rhz

Heard from a radio tech that the open sky system will be turned on again for another try and was told same thing by the Fremont town marshal so no one will hear the police fire or ems in Steuben county Indiana the marshal also told me it will most likely tank again the way I understand things no one wants the system not even the dispatchers I just pray no one gets hurt and I noticed the edacs system is having magical problems all the sudden and was told the radio shop doing the work stands to get a large kick back so it looks to me like its being shoved down everyone's throat for the sake of making a buck system comes online around the end of January 2013 so I will be praying for there safety when they throw the switch

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Steuben County Opensky 2013

Really????

Attachments

• double_facepalm.jpg
    double_facepalm.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,066

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Heard from a radio tech that the open sky system will be turned on again for another try and was told same thing by the Fremont town marshal so no one will hear the police fire or ems in Steuben county Indiana the marshal also told me it will most likely tank again the way I understand things no one wants the system not even the dispatchers I just pray no one gets hurt and I noticed the edacs system is having magical problems all the sudden and was told the radio shop doing the work stands to get a large kick back so it looks to me like its being shoved down everyone's throat for the sake of making a buck system comes online around the end of January 2013 so I will be praying for there safety when they throw the switch

I had heard this was supposed to switch on soon... anyone in Steuben County heard anything (or lack thereof on the EDACS system)....

angola_fire

Feed Provider
The system sounds horrible. The best way i can explain it is to pinch your nose and talk in a higher pitch voice. While doing that, try to make your voice fluctuate a bit higher and then lower. Everyone sounds the same. The talkgroups here are different than the edacs system previously in place. The extreme range was to be 25at miles from the closest tower, it goes 10. Very over rated.

kc9rhz

I noticed that all county vhf trans. coming from dispatch are garbled low volume borderline unreadable
but those trans. coming from the field sound fine.
Also noticed fremont fire using vhf for communication are all F.D. in the county doing the same?
Hope they come to there sense's and dump opensky before someone is hurt can't understand
why they waste everyone's time and put you guy's on the ground in danger is beyond me
jimmy james was my dad and i know how important the radio is to police fire and ems i remember
him talking to dispatch on vhf from the basement just fine and now you guys can't hardly talk across the street from each other.
Be safe

angola_fire

Feed Provider
What you are hearing with the low modulation is the patch to vhf. Its another inherent problem. Vhf is still the best and most reliable. Every time you go up in frequency bands, you lose 1/2 the range. When you goto digital from analog, you lose 30% of the coverage. It doesn't take long to chop your ability in pieces. If they simply went on the state system, the 2 additional sites would have been authorized. One in Ohio and one in Michigan for coverage.

kc9rhz

i seen that the reason they wouldn't go to state system was they couldn't put everything in the county
on it due to the state being out of lid numbers and they didn't want to have to run diff. system's
they wanted to run 1 sound's more lazy to me then anything when i was in school the school ran its own
system had nothing to do with anyone it was maintained by the school they couldn't talk to anyone other
than other driver's and the school itself so that shouldn't be a factor and the county highway should
be on its own system not hooked to police dispatch they should be doing there own thing.
the county police dispatch should only be doing police,fire,and ems to me it's not rocket science it seem's that everything has been made to be more complicated than it really needs to be would love to know who licked the shovel clean when harris was shoveling there crap.
Be Safe

kc9rhz

have been hearing lots of county police on vhf and radio check after radio check are they going vhf or mixing the 2 so the have reliable voice not sure but it remains to be seen

kc9rhz

have been hearing lots of county police on vhf and radio check after radio check are they going vhf or mixing the 2 so the have reliable voice not sure but it remains to be seen

kc9rhz

heard the opensky (aka open joke) audio for the first time about a week ago while talking to a police officer i know and was told things that would anger people to know about it and how unsafe it is the system puts there life in danger and as i understand it NO ONE is happy at all with it the audio is so bad those that forced this system on them should be ASHAMED!!!!!!!!!!! it is my opinion those that forced this on them should be dragged out in the street and forced to publicly apologize to the emergency service provider's of this county and to the tax payer for there gross lack in judgement by wasting money on a dangerous system

Status
Not open for further replies.