Official "Charlotte-Meck" Radio Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Probably a decode error; the division dispatch, conference, & SCU talkgroups are strapped in the clear and that cannot be changed at the console or subscriber level.

redhatnick

Never mind. I just heard a officer ask the sarge on the conference how he should handle his call for service due to an operation going on. Not sure why they wouldn't just switch to tactical. Well, guess I'll just have to read about it in the paper in the morning.

kd8x

Probably a decode error; the division dispatch, conference, & SCU talkgroups are strapped in the clear and that cannot be changed at the console or subscriber level.

I'll have to add that I also have heard the SCU talkgroups being encrypted a good number of times on the P25 system....Also Charlotte DEA is using it a lot....

kg4pbd

Does anyone know what is going on with Charlotte Fire today? Locution dispatches are going out over Events 2 on the analog system, while they are manually giving out dispatches over Alarm ..

trumpetman

Database Admin
Continuing education more than likely. Locution is going to dispatch across the system regardless, so they just shift it to a rarely used channel until they need to switch it back.

sayan

Premium Subscriber
hey

I was monitoring CMPD North Tryon dispatch tonight when at about 9:12pm when it went encrypted for a few minutes. I could hear University and Hickory Grove normally (the other two I was tracking at the time). Loosing track of the conversation, I rebooted my PSR-800 and it appeared to be normal by then. Does dispatch ever encrypt or was it just a blip on my PSR-800 to make it think it was encrypted?

hey buddy can u tell me which police scanner u have and also how to program it and all the info pls i am also live in north tryone division. thanks.

buhaw12

Feed Provider
Automated fire dispatch sucks

This is a random thought, but has anyone else noticed how bad the Charlotte Fire automated dispatch (Locution) system is at pronouncing unusual or combined-word street names? There was a medical call on my street a few months back, and I didn't realize it until they were pulling into the neighborhood because the street name was pronounced so badly. Seems like a million dollar plus dispatch system should have a better computerized voice than a 200 dollar GPS or iPhone.

trumpetman

Database Admin
The CAD system is by no means perfect. They're still working out the kinks with pronunciation. There's a countless number of streets and roads in Charlotte, so it boils down to having to wait for an error and then correcting it. The voice dispatch is not the only means of getting the call location though, they also get a print out to their computer screens on the trucks and at the stations, plus the human dispatcher usually comes up once trucks check enroute and provide the address again along with the cross-streets.

But yes, short story long, Samantha is really struggling with some of these horrible street names.

buhaw12

Feed Provider
Thanks for the response Chris.
Yeah I'd agree with you that it really doesn't matter too much for the FFs given the redudency they have in delivering address information, but it is an annoyance as a listener (I'd imagine the local news media would agree). My gripe is more so where the benefit is over human dispatch. The dispatch is not clearer (as we established) and its not beneficial in high call volume events given that they still disable it. Perhaps it will improve with time, buts its already been in place for two years with little improvment. I wonder if CFD wishes they had their 1.4 million back.

Last edited:

trumpetman

Database Admin
Well the 1.4 million was for more than just a souped-up-Siri to seduce all the FFs on Alarm. The new CAD system allowed for more abilities in station alerting and quicker delivery of information. As I understand it, if for some reason (hypothetically) 20 calls for service came in at the same time, even though the computer dispatch voice may be lagging, each department will still receive their call data simultaneously. So even though it would take 9 or 10 minutes to get through 20 dispatches, that final dispatch would have already arrived at the station the second it was entered into the system.

I don't mind the locution personally, it does take some getting used to, and I do enjoy the random surprises as far as ConEd goes when human dispatchers take over alarm for a few hours; but you are right, it does take some effort to hear a butchered dispatch and struggle to piece together letters and numbers to see what is trying to be spelled out. My main gripe with the CAD system is how often I hear that trucks aren't tracking with their AVL or can't connect with the server. I hear that across all agencies in the area though, that's not just a CFD thing. Hell, we had troubles with that in Asheville as well. Asheville Fire was finally getting connectivity issues worked out right before I moved to Charlotte. The Sheriff's deputies seemed to enjoy some of the glitches; one of the Sergeants had a habit of chasing down "idle" deputies and fussing at them for taking a long time at lunch, when in fact, it was just the AVL not updating appropriately, so it almost turned into a game of hide and seek among a supervisor and those on patrol. I suppose that is a little silver lining to an officer safety issue.

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
Any 700 Mhz usage in the future???

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything in regards to 700 MHz frequencies being allocated to any of the Charlotte-Meck P25 system sites. The reason I'm asking is I'm hearing rumblings that Mooresville may join the system in the future, and of course, that would affect a couple of older digital capable scanners that I have to monitor the system. Thanks in advance for any replies.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Mecklenburg Sheriff looks like they've finally made the jump to 2D0. Seeing about 10 radios each on MCSO-1, MCJC-MC, MCJN-MC, & COURTS during the day. Looks like it's safe to do away with 0F18 and monitor ALL public safety in Charlotte soley on the 2D0 system. Mint Hill, Matthews, & North Meck units are still mixed, but it seems there's enough radios in service on the digital side to allow for tracking reliably on all main and talk channels for every agency. I'll go in and make sure the database is up to date this weekend when I get some spare time.

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
CFD Analog audio cuts out.

I'm still monitoring CFD on my analog BC895XLT. As far as I can tell, I hear every dispatch on the Alarm analog 16432 talkgroup. My issue is the audio cuts in and out even though I have full signal strength. Why?
I also monitor CFD using the Broadcastify feed. Thanks to whoever provides the feed.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Are you having that issue on any other talkgroups? Alarm is sounding fine to me on my analog MTS. Probably an issue on your end such as over-loading or intermittent RFI.

I believe CFD actually provides the feed, their PIO does a good job of keeping the public in the loop.

Bill28227

I also monitor the analog system - because Matthews is not currently on the digital system. I am also having no issues with dispatch breaking up. Sounds good in Matthews.
Chris, talking about the PIO, do you know they do a great job of doing twitter updates on fires too?
Bill

trumpetman

Database Admin
Haven't jumped on the Twitter bandwagon yet, Bill, but I imagine they do a fairly decent job considering how active they are on Facebook and media incident emails.

I'll be happy when Matthews goes full digital. I hear them on there occasionally when a Matthews fire radio switches over to talk to them.

bolesauto

Well, the last few posts on this thread pretty much answered a good bit of my questions. I've been wanting a scanner for a long time....and it looks like I waited a little too long to get one. :) My wife picked me up a BC346XT which has done a pretty good job of following CMPD around, but when I spoke to my friends at the Cabarrus County Sheriffs Department, they told me they had switched to digital. Looks like CMPD is on its way to full digital too. What a time to be a newbie in radio. Not only do I have to figure out the old systems, but I gotta learn all the new stuff too!

Status
Not open for further replies.