• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Spectra mobile RF hazards???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrewo

Feed Provider
Looking for a definitive answer on this please. I was using an indoor antenna with a Motorola Spectra mobile radio and receiving only, not transmitting. The antenna was in my attic, and the radio was used for an online scanner feed, but had to take down the feed as the room the computer and radio were in are being converted to a nursery. I know I could buy more coax cable and just move the computer and the radio, however that is easier said than done. That being said are there health hazards with having the antenna in a living area of the home if I'm receiving signals only? I could swear when I bought the antenna the seller said I should keep the antenna in the attic, however I'm not sure he realized I was only receiving signals and not transmitting. I spoke to an amateur radio operator and he didn't think it would pose a health hazard to receive signals, only sending signals would produce a hazard. Thanks for your time, and rather novice when it comes to this radio stuff....

WB4CS

Answer: No RF radiation hazard from receiving antenna.

If you're only receiving and not transmitting then the antenna is not radiating any RF power.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The only hazard that I can see from having an antenna in a living space is someone poking their eye out.

The ham operator should have known that. On the other hand, here in California, any antenna, transmitting, receiving or not even connected is obviously broadcasting voodoo evil mind control rays from the g-men in the black helicopters try to trick us into thinking that congress isn't really run by aliens, but that's just California for ya'.

Congratulations on the new child. They are a blast, but kiss your hobbies goodbye for at least a few months.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
There are no hazards to receiving radio signals, but there are when transmitting. Actually the only hazard I see with a antenna in a living room is people walking/bumping into it, or if your child tries to pull on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.