NOAA

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Noaa 162.55 off the air? KWO-35

KWO-35 ON 162.55 is off the air due to hardware failure. Wonder when it will return?

Bill1957

KWO35

The NWS can buy 46,000 rounds of ammo for semi-automatic pistols,but can't fix a transmitter? What? What are they gonna shoot-Storms????

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
The NWS can buy 46,000 rounds of ammo for semi-automatic pistols,but can't fix a transmitter? What? What are they gonna shoot-Storms????

didn't. All a lie.
Rob, it amazes me how, when studied, your posts are usually inflammatory and inaccurate. The ammo order was indeed made by NOAA, just not for NWS; so your statement is incorrect. As to the actual topic, both of these have nothing to do with the topic, so let's drop this entirely and return to the topic at hand.

XTS3000

I'm shocked how often the NOAA transmitters fail in Chicagoland. Do they not have backup transmitters? I can understand the local taxi company not having a backup, but NOAA!?

Just like TRS's have the main and alternative control, you'd think NOAA would have a backup ready to kick in when the main one fails. Could it be NOAA is on a "shoe string" budget?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Rob, it amazes me how, when studied, your posts are usually inflammatory and inaccurate. The ammo order was indeed made by NOAA, just not for NWS; so your statement is incorrect.

We can drop this after you apologize. Or delete all the above. The poster said that NWS purchased the bullets.

Sorry there sir, but you appear to have spoken FAR outside of your knowledge base.

No bullets were purchased by or for the NWS. Ever. The purchase was for the NOAA Fisheries Law Enforcement. That is not the NWS. It's not related to NWS.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...dc6b67e-e62a-11e1-936a-b801f1abab19_blog.html

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I'm shocked how often the NOAA transmitters fail in Chicagoland. Do they not have backup transmitters? I can understand the local taxi company not having a backup, but NOAA!?

It is more often a comm line issue or a power glitch. Realize that very very few people get alerts from the weather radio. Under 5% even in tornado alley. Money goes where it does the most good, and 1980s technology doesn't do that well in the 2010s :)

leaf

Premium Subscriber
I havent heard it when checking the past few days. Just silence....

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Open carrier on 162.550 mhz Friday 9/20 6pm edt

kevinparrish

Premium Subscriber
KWO-35 / 162.550 MHz / New York City

ADVISORY MESSAGE:

NOAA Weather Radio Station KWO-35 in New York City remains shut-down due to an on-going "intermod" issue between The National Weather Service and the United States Coast Guard.

KWO-35 transmits on 162.5500 MHz with it's 700-watt transmitter located atop the Met Life (Pan Am) Building in New York City. The NOAA Weather Radio transmitter is mixing with another US Government land mobile radio system which operates on 168.3000 MHz. This frequency combination produces an "intermodulation" product that appears directly on Marine Radio Band, Channel-16 (156.8000 MHz.) and is causing significant interference to one of the USCG "Rescue-21" (RFF) Remote Fixed Facilities in Long Island City along the East River.

In recent weeks KWO-35 has sporadically been returned to service during periods of severe weather events in the NYC Metro Area to provide customary service and alerts. Additionally, the transmitter is activated each Wednesday morning shortly before 1100 HRS so the weekly test can be conducted.

Kevin Parrish

Dispatrick

Premium Subscriber
WXJ94

right now on 162.550 (due to KWO35 being down) WXJ94 from Lewes DE is being heard loud and clear here tonight in north-east NJ. I'm just using a portable stock antenna!

Danny37

It's still out as of yesterday, it been almost 6 months and the problem isn't fixed yet. I guess it isn't big deal these days since you can assess weather information much easier.

Dispatrick

Premium Subscriber
KW035

Sounds like for now it's back up and running! let's hope it stays this way,

called me old fashioned but I enjoy simply hitting a button on my radio and hearing the weather instantly, even though we have computers and tv there is something about just listening to the radio I find relaxing.

I use NOAA stations to judge conditions by the strength of stations outside my coverage area, also NOAA DXing is fun. I enjoy it when I'm near a body of water, such as when I travel to Florida and stay along the Gulf.

Status
Not open for further replies.