BCD436HP firmware differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LZ56

Premium Subscriber
No way to back up the firmware that is in the scanner.

Well there should be, given the history of some of these firmware fixes introducing new bugs that can make matters worse ... like the HP-1's infamous firmware "fix" for simulcast.

Factory load is bad firmware.

So Uniden sold scanners with known bugs, or am I reading that wrong?

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Well, the radio finally arrived. I'm not quite familiar enough with it yet to post a video, but I can happily report that I did not see any noticeable difference in P25 performance after upgrading the firmware. I have recordings of the scanner both before and after the upgrade, which I will post as part of my overall review video. I did notice that the scanner was *reporting* stronger signal strength before the upgrade, but since the reception and decoding seem unaffected it may be that the scanner was reporting the signal strength incorrectly prior to the upgrade. Not sure on that. I'm going to spend the weekend getting more familiar with this unit so look for my video review early next week.

-AZ

JoeyC

So Uniden sold scanners with known bugs, or am I reading that wrong?

You are reading that wrong. :roll: Any bugs (if there were any in the first place) were corrected in a firmware revision available available to you the moment you had the scanner in your hands.

SCPD

QRT
firmware

We have not been able to verify or duplicate any degradation of reception between the factory and current firmware.

FWIW, I see reports similar to this on almost every f/w update for every scanner. There is probably a name for the effect...maybe FAS (Firmware Anxiety Syndrome)?

Maybe it depends upon each system.Fading,multipath,etc.The old firmware just performed better somehow.

markhenson

Just fired up my new BCD436HP and updated the dB (1/31/2014) and firmware 1.02.07 Im having the same issues as others on here.
I cannot receive any P25 from Spalding County Ga or any other local counties P25. It sees the control signal based on the signal meter but no audio.If I stay on one of the frequencies from custom search it
will occasionally decode a voice and show P25 at the bottom of display.I have programmed and reprogrammed scanner about 10 times.Thinking about returning the scanner and going with 396xt.
Anyone know how often Uniden releases updates to resolve firmware issues?
Edit:Just read UPMan post #19....Hope to see the firmware in the next week.Thanks!

Last edited:

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Just fired up my new BCD436HP and updated the dB (1/31/2014) and firmware 1.02.07 Im having the same issues as others on here.
I cannot receive any P25 from Spalding County Ga or any other local counties P25. It sees the control signal based on the signal meter but no audio.If I stay on one of the frequencies from custom search it
will occasionally decode a voice and show P25 at the bottom of display.I have programmed and reprogrammed scanner about 10 times.Thinking about returning the scanner and going with 396xt.
Anyone know how often Uniden releases updates to resolve firmware issues?

I do not know if the following will help or not:

Did you update the Firmware and then the Database or the other way around?
The Firmware may affect how Sentinel interacts with the scanner when importing data.

Go into Sentinel and look at the system that is giving you trouble and check the following three things:
1. P25 Threshold = 8
2. P25 Threshold Mode = Auto
3, Under "Options" check to see if your "System Type" is correct

I have had #1 and #3 set wrong once and I got full five bars on signal but no audio.

Last edited:

Chris45

Thats Good Work!

If it make a difference which we update first, how could we correct it? We can only reinstall the Sentinel and then affiliate the radio? Nothing else to do, since we cannot touch the firmware. The bottom line still should be inspecting the system settings on Sentinel to ensuring the correct settings were programmed.

The Firmware may affect how Sentinel interacts with the scanner when importing data.

Go into Sentinel and look at the system that is giving you trouble and check the following three things:
1. P25 Threshold = 8

I have had #1 and #3 set wrong once and I got full five bars on signal but no audio.

Essexscan

Markhenson, did you send the DB to the radio? unlike the firmware the database will not upload to the radio automatically after you update the database in Sentinel

connect the Radio , open sentinel , on the top where (scanner) is listed click on it then(write to scanner) when the next box opens click the radio listed and then (OK) then sentinel should start uploading the DB to the radio

RF23

Premium Subscriber
If it make a difference which we update first, how could we correct it? We can only reinstall the Sentinel and then affiliate the radio? Nothing else to do, since we cannot touch the firmware. The bottom line still should be inspecting the system settings on Sentinel to ensuring the correct settings were programmed.

In the early days of the HP-1 you could load the wrong thing first and it created some problems but it was easy to fix by reloading your database but this time you check the box labeled "Force Write Full Database" . However, Uniden added error trapping latter so this could not happen on the HP-1. I tried to update my database on a Monday as usual but a window popped up saying I needed to update the Firmware first. I assume the x36HP radios probably have this error trapping too but I do not know for sure.

I would recommend that you continue to look at how you have your programming setup in Sentinel (like the last three suggestions I gave you to check could be a start). You should be able to get it going with help from people here on RR without having to worry about this other potential problem.

Also, make sure in your "Profile" that both "Monitor and Download" are ON. If monitor for the FL you want to listen to is not ON you cannot monitor it and if :Download" is not on, no matter what changes you make in Sentinel none of it will be written to the radio.

Hope this helps.

Ignore the smiling ICON I do not know why it is there as I had NO Icons checked but it appeared any way.

Last edited:

dhmann1811

Premium Subscriber
UPMAN (Paul),

Several of us in VA are having decoding issues on the STARS system. My PSR-800 can be sitting next to my 436 and the 800 will pick up the signal every time but the 436 less than half. I hope the firmware update will help address this.

Thanks,
Dave

markhenson

1. P25 Threshold = 8

Yes I have verified everything. Still nothing. Guess I ll wait on firmware update.Thanks

markhenson

Markhenson, did you send the DB to the radio? unlike the firmware the database will not upload to the radio automatically after you update the database in Sentinel

connect the Radio , open sentinel , on the top where (scanner) is listed click on it then(write to scanner) when the next box opens click the radio listed and then (OK) then sentinel should start uploading the DB to the radio

I did .....still nothing. Guess I ll wait on firmware. I don't know if I should return the scanner or wait on firmware....or maybe go with 396xt.

Macscanner436

I see a different version

What are the differences between Firmware versions 1.1.01 which comes with the radio, and version 1.02.07 that results from upgrading the radio with the Sentinel program?

Comparing the performance between two BCD436HP radios, one using 1.1.01 and the other using 1.02.07, we noticed a loss of signal sensitivity with the latest firmware. Is it possible to go backwards in performance with the firmware upgrades?

When I go to the web site BCD436HP < UnidenMan4 < TWiki to Feb-9-2014 I see version 1.02.1 available(Download the latest version of BCDx36HP Sentinel. BCDx36HP_Sentinel_Version_1_02_01.zip. Did you make an error or am I looking at the wrong location?

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I did .....still nothing. Guess I ll wait on firmware. I don't know if I should return the scanner or wait on firmware....or maybe go with 396xt.

Have you tried the GA Forum here on RR to see if anyone else in your area with a 436 is having problems with the sites you wish to monitor?

It appears that in VA the x36HP radios may be having real problems monitoring one system there.

I bet this is sure frustrating not be able to monitor the site you wish to monitor but also not really knowing what is the next best move to make. Wait for a possible fix, sent it to Uniden in case it is defective or sent it back for a refund or exchange.

Good Luck!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
When I go to the web site BCD436HP < UnidenMan4 < TWiki to Feb-9-2014 I see version 1.02.1 available(Download the latest version of BCDx36HP Sentinel. BCDx36HP_Sentinel_Version_1_02_01.zip. Did you make an error or am I looking at the wrong location?

The latest Sentinel x36HP version is 1.02.01

The latest firmware version for the 436HP is 1.02.07

The latest firmware version for the 536HP is 1.02.03

NYPDAUX

A lot of information I just checked my scanner and I'm still using the 1 .0 1.01 which apparently we're supposed to be a bad *** firmware but its still working fine on my radio don't know what to do but I believe it's not broken don't fix it

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Drkatzjr45

Senior Member - Emeritus
Premium Subscriber
436 Factory Firmware Missing MANY Features

The firmware update available now is the "first release" firmware. The factory load is missing many features and functions, and is not supported. When we release additional updates, they will have a documented change list.

Why would you release a product "the factory load' you call it....
with missing

. "features and "functions"

It is difficult for me to envision how Uniden handles quality control in this way.

Perhaps they have learned over the years....that this is the best model...

Send it...and see what happens....

But who knows

I am sure that the software (providing updated firmware) that IS required
---and not included with the unit---

is free.

And that any other... unforeseen... necessary items... perhaps needed in the future,
are free as well.

I must assume Uniden is simply a very humble, altruistic company.

They have been making scanners for....God knows how long.....

markhenson

The latest Sentinel x36HP version is 1.02.01

The latest firmware version for the 436HP is 1.02.07

The latest firmware version for the 536HP is 1.02.03

This is correct per Uniden tech support. I upgraded the SOFTWARE from 1.01.07 to 1.02.07. However, it did not fix my scanner. P25 and all digital was sporadic at best and mostly silent. Even the old school VHF analog counties near me would not work correctly. The tech advised me to return to the place of purchase. Now Im waiting on stock to catch back up. Not happy right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.