Pc map plotting software

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawman210

Sorry but didn't see any category to put this in. I was wondering Is there any type of computer based software that would allow you to map incidents for calls? I know you can set way points and favorites on Google but I'm looking more along the lines of setting up incident categories such as burglary, assault, theft etc so I can just type in location click on a drop down menu for the incident maybe even a notes category. That way I can see incidents in my area like a pin map.
If this is not the appropriate forum moderators please move

Thanks all.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

V

VGSMC_8520

If you have ~$25,000 to spend, try ArcGIS

If you have ~$2,000 to spend, try MapInfo

If you have ~$500 to spend, try GlobalMapper

But I'm going to assume you don't want to drop tens of thousands on commercial mapping software. Here are some popular free and/or open source mapping software applications:

QGIS

ArcGIS Explorer

GRASS GIS

There are many more software options out there I'm less familiar with..

Google Map Maker may be another good option, but your post sounds like you are looking for something other than Google Maps.

And If you're not afraid to roll up your sleeves and get real messy, OpenStreetMap may be for you as well.

You'll probably need some sort Geocoding service which translates a descriptive address like "123 Fake St, Springfield, USA" into lat/long coordinates (or whatever coordinate system you want to use) that can be easily mapped.

Also..........at the risk of turning this thread into a legal & moral discussion on software piracy, the paid software I listed above is available for free on the popular file sharing networks like usenet, tpb, etc. But that shouldn't come as any surprise to anyone, and I won't provide any further information on illegally obtaining software.

Last edited:

lawman210

Yeah 24k is my max lol. Ty I will take a look at them

gh6406

Premium Subscriber
Lawman, You may want to check out Delorme Street Atlas. Pretty good map software.

V

VGSMC_8520

Microsfot MapPoint would also be in the same ballpark as Delorme Street Atlas. Much of the software I listed above requires base layer data and is more geared toward analysis.

lawman210

Microsfot MapPoint would also be in the same ballpark as Delorme Street Atlas. Much of the software I listed above requires base layer data and is more geared toward analysis.

That's what I want to do. I want to plot the calls coming in and see what crimes are occurring where

Status
Not open for further replies.