DaneCom

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf9aq

I am hearing the same on the simulcast of Sheriif 1 on TG 13001, and this morning I am only hearing a one sided transmission on TG 13517 Roxbury PW. Talking abt radio problems and snow plowing..I am not hearing who he is talking to..Is this goin to be an issue when system is up and running full time??
Kevin

Citywide6

Premium Subscriber
I am hearing the same on the simulcast of Sheriif 1 on TG 13001, and this morning I am only hearing a one sided transmission on TG 13517 Roxbury PW. Talking abt radio problems and snow plowing..I am not hearing who he is talking to..Is this goin to be an issue when system is up and running full time??
Kevin

I see 13001 on the display, but only get occassional snipets of garbled audio. Earlier posts say this is a problem with LSM simulcast systems. A $500 scanner will have trouble because it can't handle multiple signals at the same time. In the Scanner and Receivers forum under Uniden scanners, there is a discussion that suggests trying to use an open or loose squelch on LSM systems. Also Uniden says if you have a 996XT, you should install the latest firmware which they claim improves reception of simulcast systems. I tried the squelch suggestion and it did nothing. I'm still trying to import the firmware, but it requires a driver I don't have. I was able to download it but it won't install on the PC. The new Uniden scanners coming out this month may do better on LSM systems, according to Uniden.

bc780l

Premium Subscriber
DaneCom is a Harris LSM system. I know of no one so far who's been able to copy it. I hope that the new Unidens will do the job, but Uniden has thus far not stated it will clearly receive all LSM systems--CQPSK is, after all, not in the new Uniden specs--and that's what LSM systems transmit. The mobiles transmit C4FM, but the trunking bases transmit CQPSK. Lots of issues still being resolved, which is why DaneCom isn't going live until March, per the current schedule.

Citywide6

Premium Subscriber
Uniden says if you have a 996XT, you should install the latest firmware which they claim improves reception of simulcast systems. I tried the squelch suggestion and it did nothing. I'm still trying to import the firmware, but it requires a driver I don't have. I was able to download it but it won't install on the PC. The new Uniden scanners coming out this month may do better on LSM systems, according to Uniden.

I updated the firmware to 1.07.03 which Uniden said "improves the performance of P25 sites using LSM".
It had no effect at all. 1.07.03 also incorporates an earlier update that provides a way to adjust P25 mode and level. They recommend mode set at 8 or 11 and level set at 50. That didn't do any good either. I tried a couple of other combinations, but no go. That makes me doubt that the new Unidens will have anything better.

washradiotech

Lots of issues still being resolved, which is why DaneCom isn't going live until March, per the current schedule.

Yes, issues are being resolved, but they are not related to the system being LSM. Harris has multiple LSM systems currently on the air with multiple radio vendors end user equipment.

As I have stated in the past...scanners are faced with the challenge keeping up with technology in todays $2000-$4000 Public Safety radios and still keeping the cost reasonable for consumers.

Just thought I would clarify.

Citywide6

Premium Subscriber
I updated the firmware to 1.07.03 which Uniden said "improves the performance of P25 sites using LSM".
It had no effect at all. 1.07.03 also incorporates an earlier update that provides a way to adjust P25 mode and level. They recommend mode set at 8 or 11 and level set at 50. That didn't do any good either. I tried a couple of other combinations, but no go. That makes me doubt that the new Unidens will have anything better.

I'm not sure what changed but I'm getting near perfect reception of 13001 this afternoon. Solid copy with only a faint echo. They are running a tape loop of a man saying "1-2-3-4-5". Poosibly a test of a single tower which would not introduce the simulcast problem.

Citywide6

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure what changed but I'm getting near perfect reception of 13001 this afternoon. Solid copy with only a faint echo. They are running a tape loop of a man saying "1-2-3-4-5". Poosibly a test of a single tower which would not introduce the simulcast problem.

Whatever the situation was, it didn't last. 13001, 13005 and 13805 appear on the screen, but it won't decode, so no audio. This is on a Uniden 996xt with the latest firmware (the one that is supposed to improve reception of simulcast systems).

Several months? More like 60+ days and that's only for the full switch over. You should see users starting to populate the system starting next month.

It's clear that Harris has no idea what they are doing with the system. I feel for Dane County and wonder when the breach of contract lawsuit will be filed - or when Harris is going to come back with millions more of "required" additions to make it right.

Last edited:

Whatever the situation was, it didn't last. 13001, 13005 and 13805 appear on the screen, but it won't decode, so no audio. This is on a Uniden 996xt with the latest firmware (the one that is supposed to improve reception of simulcast systems).

The system is up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down...some days TG's work, some days they don't. Some days the system ID is right, some days it's wrong. Some days the site ID is right, some days it's wrong. Those that watch it on a regular basis have seen this using various decoding programs. It's like they are playing "musical system parameters" most weeks as of late. The entire system is at a 6th grade science project level at best right now...it's installed (sort of) but certainly not usable or functional.

Also, washradiotech is correct about using scanners and expecting the same results as a proper radio. It's never going to sound the same or work as good. However, just like there are scanners that work better than others there are also radios that work better than others. That said, right now with Dane's system, even the radios don't work correctly yet. Don't expect too much out of a scanner right now.

Last edited:

washradiotech

It is very frustrating for people to wait for anything new... especially when they were told a date, and it is pushed back time and time again. But, its better to do it right regardless of the dates, then to roll it out prematurely and have the end users suffer. It sounds like they are going through the system and realigning it. Basically its a re-calibration of the system before the final burn. This is the time when all the levels are set and checked and documented for the final close out package. In order to do this, channels are taken in and out of service. It has no reflection of how the system will perform once they put it into working service. Have some patience..the system will have users on it when its ready.. and you should be able to scan them. Take a deep breath... :) now exhale ....

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber
Interference from Testing

DaneCom has been testing with a single tone (NAC 293) on their frequencies and causing interference on 151-156 MHz CSQ. Also heard on Broadcastify Dane Co Fire & EMS feed to rule out local interference.

Last edited:

washradiotech

Re: SB-Wi. Sounds like they are sending a 1011 pattern out over the air. It is commonly used for testing the BER with simulcast systems to verify TDI issues between sites. (Is this way over scanner guys stuff? hahaha)

JT-112

Re: SB-Wi. Sounds like they are sending a 1011 pattern out over the air. It is commonly used for testing the BER with simulcast systems to verify TDI issues between sites. (Is this way over scanner guys stuff? hahaha)

Not everyone here is a "scanner guy" (or gal)!

Appreciate your posts, keep them coming, wish danecom would chime in again...

washradiotech

Thx 6-2. I'm fully aware who a lot of the audience is :) as some of us know each other outside of this forum. I'm sure "danecom" is more then a little busy at the moment. Putting in a radio system is like skydiving,,,when you make the jump, things are all nice and surreal at first.. but at the very end, the ground is coming toward you awfully fast!
I know as an admin, I have always found this group to be helpful while we were implementing our system, and I always tried to keep the people informed as time permitted. After all, the people are the ones paying for these multi-million dollar systems. It never hurts to have more ears out there, unless of course it was a jaded vendor that was sore after not getting the contract spreading lies....LOL

bc780l

Premium Subscriber
Testing

DALAW1 is, as of this writing, simulcasting the DASCAN audio stream. While burn-in isn't officially off the ground yet, it gives a chance to try out your scanners. My commercial radios are working just fine, but alas, my BCD396XT and BCD996T are not working worth a darn (no surprise due to the LSM). Anyone in the area testing with a new x36?

kf9aq

I do not see any talkgroups added for Verona PD/PW and Sun Prairie PD/PW. Is it just not updated yet?? Been hearing some occasional testing on the Dane Sheriff TG's

Thanks..
Kevin

danecom

Premium Subscriber
You are correct! Harris is currently working on the over-the-air interface between the city's 800 TRS and DaneCom.

Status
Not open for further replies.