Hermitage PD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

w3sax

Premium Subscriber
I'm using an old Radio Shack PRO-2006 and I am getting some DMR and P25 decodes on my screen on various other frequencies. It's just weird that I get absolutely nothing on any of the county nxdn stuff. I left the radio parked on the hermitage frequency today and got absolutely no response from the software. Will try it again tonight! Maybe the radio just doesn't have a selective enough receiver for the nxdn or something. I have a handheld pro-97 that is much newer and maybe I'll try to do a discriminator tap for that next.

I still have not heard any intelligible audio from any frequency yet...always garbled, so maybe my computer just doesn't have enough processor to decode it live?

Ah well, will try some more tomorrow! I do think I have the software set up correctly now though.

Doug

teck73

Everything I've read about the PRO-2006 says it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, so I don't think that's a problem. I couldn't find anything that said that the discriminator tap was factory installed though. Lots of posts saying it was a common mod. If it was a mod, it could be a problem. This is one of the reasons I opted for using the TV tuner dongle and SDR#. None of that trial and error soldering involved.

If your only getting intermittant decodes on 463.88750 (Staley), and if it's a fairly strong signal coming into the scanner, then something isn't right. Since it's a continuous control channel, DSD should scroll constantly as long as you're parked on that frequency, (and it's a fairly strong signal for you). It should only stop if the signal fades.

I don't think it should, but I'm wondering if the squelch has any effect on the tapped output? Worth a quick check maybe.

You should also check to make sure your computers soundcard can handle 48kbs and that it is set for that. I can't remember how to set that though, (if you even can), since I'm using Virtual audio Cable in my setup, and you set that within VAC.

DSD needs 48kbs to work right.

You never said what processor your computer uses so I can't say much there, but as I said my old 1.3gHz Celeron tries to decode audio, but chokes when the processor hits 100% usage. (It actually has trouble just running SDR#.) But I can still get garbled sound when someone is talking.
The laptop I'm using now has a Dual Core processor at around 2.2gHz and it doesn't even break a sweat.

The only P25 I've seen comes out of Ohio and is very weak over here in Grove City. I've never heard any audio, but I think I'm only seing the control channel, and never really tried to chase down the talk channel.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I get data in other modes...not NXDN, although I did get one data row during the day for nxdn. I wasn't home at the time, so I'm not sure what frequency it was on.

I have set the radio on the Hermitage new frequency, but DSD does absolutely nothing. Which NXDN mode is it? 48 or 96?

I made a cable with a 10k-ohm resistor in it, but a cable without seems to work better. My Pro-2006 has a discriminator tap built on the back - factory.

I have at least been getting some garbled audio in DMR/MOTOTRBO on other frequencies. I get nothing on Hermitage at all.

For 453.4875 (and for 453.3625, which I think is Sharon) use:

1. the latest DSD with filtering (1.60).
2. dsd -fn (since it's NXDN96)

Mike

Last edited:

w3sax

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,

Just as a follow-up to this -

I got one of those $20 DVB-T receivers made for European Digital TV. It's a USB dongle with antenna. If I use software called SDR# to tune and DSD+ with a virtual cable software, I'm able to decode any digital modes easily and I can hear the local departments on the new NXDN systems.

Strangely though, after a few days, I've not hear anything on the Hermitage PD frequency of 453.4875. Can anyone confirm that they are indeed using it?

And, have any of you tried this dongle? It's pretty amazing and the SDR# software is too. You can listen to conventional frequencies in any mode from about 40Mhz up to 1.2Ghz.

dirk6665

Feed Provider
NXDN

Hi All,

Just as a follow-up to this -

I got one of those $20 DVB-T receivers made for European Digital TV. It's a USB dongle with antenna. If I use software called SDR# to tune and DSD+ with a virtual cable software, I'm able to decode any digital modes easily and I can hear the local departments on the new NXDN systems.

Strangely though, after a few days, I've not hear anything on the Hermitage PD frequency of 453.4875. Can anyone confirm that they are indeed using it?

And, have any of you tried this dongle? It's pretty amazing and the SDR# software is too. You can listen to conventional frequencies in any mode from about 40Mhz up to 1.2Ghz.

Doug,

I'd love to talk to you about your setup... also the MCARC club, your weather station, etc. - PM me or email me and I will give you my home # -- or I'll just hit you up next time I hear you on the repeater...

'73
N3TTI
-Derrick

Status
Not open for further replies.