Scanner feed using Rasberry Pi ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frazpo

White noise

Are you speaking of the noise while it is scanning between radio traffic??
I find that minimal and not a problem. Ive heard feeds a lot worse than that. I think it sounds good.

DC31

Feed Provider
Congrats! I am running a personal feed with mine. Gonna get another one and run my RR feed some day.
Maybe we need to map the Pi feeds like they do the two tone detect setups. Other than feeds there are a lot of cool things to do with the Pi. I have a LAMP server running on my to mess with HTML and PHP. Fun stuff.

Frazpo, I was just browsing through some of the older posts and saw this one. You can easily stream one feed to two servers in darkice. In other words, you can stream to your private feed and also to RR if you have one audio stream that you want to go two places.

It is also quite easy to stream two separate audio feeds using two usb sound cards from one pi. So what you are referencing here ( a personal feed and a RR feed) can be done with one pi.

You can also run two private feeds to a single icecast server. Icecast separates them by mount point. You can log in to your icecast server and see two separate feeds. You can even program your smart phone app to connect you up to the individual mount points.

Jim

frazpo

Frazpo, I was just browsing through some of the older posts and saw this one. You can easily stream one feed to two servers in darkice. In other words, you can stream to your private feed and also to RR if you have one audio stream that you want to go two places.

It is also quite easy to stream two separate audio feeds using two usb sound cards from one pi. So what you are referencing here ( a personal feed and a RR feed) can be done with one pi.

You can also run two private feeds to a single icecast server. Icecast separates them by mount point. You can log in to your icecast server and see two separate feeds. You can even program your smart phone app to connect you up to the individual mount points.

Jim

I had not thought of doing that. I just may give it a try. I need to get USB hub though. I am using a wifi dongle so I have no USB port free. Thanks for info!

nick223

Feed Provider
I had not thought of doing that. I just may give it a try. I need to get USB hub though. I am using a wifi dongle so I have no USB port free. Thanks for info!

If you use the B plus model with 4 USB you wouldn't need the hub. I have 2 private icecast feeds with the wifi dongle and a USB to serial cable to scanner to send out alpha tags. I think I need a few more ports on the pi lol.

chite

Error using DarkIce

Could anyone help out with a problem I am having with a new DarkIce installation?

I have everything compiled and installed. DarkIce seems to start fine, but I get an error:

TCPSocket.cpp: 266:gethostbyname error 6

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your assistance

DC31

Feed Provider
Could anyone help out with a problem I am having with a new DarkIce installation?

I have everything compiled and installed. DarkIce seems to start fine, but I get an error:

TCPSocket.cpp: 266:gethostbyname error 6

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Are you trying to run a RR/Broadcastify feed? If so, a couple simple things to check for starters:

1. If the feed is presently being run from another computer, you will need to stop that feed before trying to connect with darkice.

2. In your credentials the mount point is show in Technical Details like this /1234567. When you enter it in the darkice configuration you need to omit the leading /.

My guess is that you have already eliiminated these items but it is worth checking. The error message is pretty meaningless. Are there any other message lines with it? Can you post them?

Can you post your darkice.cfg file or paste the lines from it into a post? (delete your password)

chite

Thanks

Are you trying to run a RR/Broadcastify feed? If so, a couple simple things to check for starters:

1. If the feed is presently being run from another computer, you will need to stop that feed before trying to connect with darkice.

2. In your credentials the mount point is show in Technical Details like this /1234567. When you enter it in the darkice configuration you need to omit the leading /.

My guess is that you have already eliiminated these items but it is worth checking. The error message is pretty meaningless. Are there any other message lines with it? Can you post them?

Can you post your darkice.cfg file or paste the lines from it into a post? (delete your password)

1. Yes...this is a broadcastify/radioreference feed, and I am not broadcasting from another computer.
2. I am not using a leading / in my credentials
3. I will include my config file in another message (haven't figured out how to copy to windows from my headless RasPI sessions.

Thanks

chite

Can't seem to copy/paste in Raspian

1. Yes...this is a broadcastify/radioreference feed, and I am not broadcasting from another computer.
2. I am not using a leading / in my credentials
3. I will include my config file in another message (haven't figured out how to copy to windows from my headless RasPI sessions.

Thanks

Can't seem to get my config copied into a message here. Very frustrating.

chite

[general]
duration = 0
bufferSecs = 10
reconnect = yes

[input]
device = plughw:1,0
samplerate = 22050
BitsPerSample = 16
channel = 1

[icecast2-0]

bitratemode = cbr
format = mp3
bitrate = 16
quality = 0.1
channel = 1
lowpass = 5000
samplerate = 22050
server = audio3.radioreference.com
port = 80
password = ********
mountpoint = 237945512
name = Plam Beach County Amateur Radio Repeaters

DC31

Feed Provider
Guys,

I have resisted this for some time as I didn't want to spoil all your fun in setting things up yourself.

At the link below you will find instructions that contain a link to an image with Darkice/Icecast installed.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9sLdBjMInCVdUJ3dEpBSTd0Skk/edit?usp=docslist_api

I tried to make it as plug and play as possible. It has been tested by one person and works. I hope that if you follow the instructions step by step you will be plugged in and streaming in no time. This image works on both the older Model B units and the new B+.

I have heard that the link to my image no longer works. If you would like a copy of the image, send me a PM.

Jim

frazpo

Now that someone has done all the hard work I am thinking of moving my streams to Pi's.

Any idea how many streams a Pi can handle? Besides streaming to RR I also provide direct streams.

I know there are a couple running at least two. Uplink is one. IredellMon is very good at this also. Im sure one of them may pop in.

My pi running one feed uses Darkice at about 8.0% CPU usage.

Last edited:
I know there are a couple running at least two. Uplink is one. IredellMon is very good at this also. Im sure one of them may pop in.

My pi running one feed uses Darkice at about 8.0% CPU usage.

Two or three is nothing I am talking like 50, as I have had that many before. Not often but when there is something happening or Broadcastify is down.

frazpo

I cant imagine more than 3 or so. How does one feed that many frequencies for 50 feeds?

Uplink

I am still running 3 on mine without problems.

Btw, Will be switching to a b+ soon, I will be able to drop the USB hub, and I want to start up an ADS-B virtual radar, using dump1090 on my old R-PI. :p

Last edited:

frazpo

Maybe I am wrong but if 50 people connect directly to my Icecast server (not connect to Broadcastify) then am I not serving 50 streams? Sure it's all the same audio but it is 50 different connections.

Ok, so your talking clients. I misunderstood. I was thinking individual streams.

I wonder if you could split the job between two PI's. One for converting audio and the other strictly for feeding. That may help with reducing CPU on the icecast server.

Last edited:

clemfm

I'm streaming from a Pi with considerable success. I've spent some time tweaking settings and have currently settled on:

- ALSAMixer with 31,63,125,8000 &16000 Hz all at zero levels. 250-4000Hz left channel at zero also.
- was using an iMic USB sound card, now using an Edirol device with a lot less noise being streamed.

Darkice config contains:
Samplerate 44100
Bits per sample 16
Channel 1
Bitratemode VBR
format MP3
Quality 0.8
Lowpass 3400
HIghpass 300

I know that 22050 sample rate and other lower quality settings are generally recommended, however the effect on reproduction is too great for my liking.

I'm also going to insert an isolation transformer (earth loop filter) between the scanner (an Optoelectronics Xplorer) and the Edirol, although I'm also testing a TOSLINK (SPDIF) fibre link which should produce an excellent result even allowing for the additional analog to digital conversation.

All thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.