Scannercast Port selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowman3725

Premium Subscriber
Just set up a second feed, but when I try to start the broadcast I get an error message saying the port might be invalid. I can see on the first feed the port number is 5700. Do I have to manually change the port number? And what should it be?

rbm

Yes you need to use separate ports as in the screen capture below. (zoom in to see the details)
And, different sound inputs.
Unless you opt to use left/right channels.

Three feeds, using three different ports and three different sound inputs.

Rich

snowman3725

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Rich, unfortunately your screen shot is very hard to see. Are you using Scannercast? Mine looks completely different than that. I thought the COM ports were on the software side but apparently each USB port on the back of my computer is different. I'm trying to figure out what the port number is for the USB port I have my sound card plugged into. I can hear both my feeds on the app I have running under one selection

mibzzer15

I think you are mistaking firewall ports for COM ports. Each Scannercast feed needs to have a different firewall port. The firewall ports needs to be accessible from the internet so you need to open those ports on your router. Here is a blown up picture of Rich's screenshot, hopefully this helps. You can always click on the screenshot Rich posted and then zoom in when it opens up on photobucket.

snowman3725

Premium Subscriber
Any idea how I go about opening these ports up? I wish computers were as easy to understand as scanners!

rbm

Any idea how I go about opening these ports up? I wish computers were as easy to understand as scanners!

This is what I do on Windows 7. (Yours may be slightly different.)

I have ScannerCast in many folders.

Each folder allows one feed.

In the image below, for that instance of ScannerCast, you can see the path for that one ScannerCast install.
"C:\scannercast - private5\scannercast.exe"

Get there by:
Start
Control Panel
Windows Firewall
Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall

These instructions may help you.
Open a port in Windows Firewall - Windows Help

Rich

Last edited:

snowman3725

Premium Subscriber
Under the firewall settings I see duplicate ScannerCast.exe, which I believe that there are 2 different ports, but it doesn't specifically what the port value is, instead it says "any port". I need to figure out what the second port number is, the first being 5700

rbm

Under the firewall settings I see duplicate ScannerCast.exe, which I believe that there are 2 different ports, but it doesn't specifically what the port value is, instead it says "any port". I need to figure out what the second port number is, the first being 5700

You can choose most any port in the Scannercast config screen. (Some exceptions depending on your specific modem)

Then:
As mibzzer15 mentioned above, you do port forwarding for that port to open it so you can get to the outside world.

Rich

Edit: I should mention that the port forwarding change normally does not take effect 'instantly'. Give it a few minutes to happen.

Here's an example of Netgear Port Forwarding:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.