DMR in Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know who all is on DMR or Turbo in VA and there CC numbers? Does anyone who knows what hams use DMR in Virginia?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Unfortunately our db isn't set up to display DMR trunking properly. It's not so big, since no scanner out of the box can decode DMR - you need an external app and a discriminator-tapped scanner to do it

Mike

W4UVV

2015 W4UVV Virginia Frequency Directory

Does anyone know who all is on DMR or Turbo in VA and there CC numbers? Does anyone who knows what hams use DMR in Virginia?

FYI a file listing of FCC Virginia DMR (MOTOTRBO/NXDN/NEXEDGE) licensees and where known other DMR users is one of the sorted files extracts from the master file available in the 2015 W4UVV Virginia. Frequency Directory. The licensee may be a commercial system provider offering a trunked radio system with linked repeaters or a standalone single frequency operating environment. Since the FCC license is to the commercial radio system licensee, system users are not required to be listed. If not known otherwise, the most practical way, where possible, is to monitor typically a Capacity Plus trs and attempt to id the talkgroups users. Trust me this is very lengthy time consuming effort for which some users can be ided soon with some detective research while others, so far, are a best guess and yet others remain a "mystery of life". Where known the MOTOTRBO color code number is included. The licensee for a standalone DMR repeater operation, if a commercial provider, is not required by the FCC to provide the user's name. Again, if the user's id is not available from another source, where possible, off air monitoring is the practical way attempting to id the user.

Additionally, for a few central VA monitored Capacity Plus users talkgroups some with confirmed ids are provided. For a monitored standalone MOTOTRBO user, i.e., the Charles Co. Sheriff, etc. additionally, Sheriff Office "faux talkgroup" numbers are listed, i.e. "60" = Deputy Sheriff unit "60" ....."Dispatch = 201", etc..

Documenting DMR users monitored here is an ongoing project with the goal by year's end to document as many vhf/uhf users in detail as much as possible. The vast majority of DMR licensees in Virginia are MOTOTRBO either via a new license or existing license modified additionally for a DMR emission. Typically an existing FCC licensee does not modify the license for DMR emission operation unless that emission is intended to be used often, like 100% of the time, although analog operation remains an emission option.

To aid the DMR user id process monitoring Capacity Plus systems, three real time DMR systems are used each with DSD PLUS and DMR Decode with log history files creation selected. It can get distracting at times if multiple talkgroups use two slots simultaneously on two or more trs repeaters.

There are two DMR ham repeaters or more in the Lynchburg area...P25? & MOTOTRBO? One is being planned possibly for the Richmond area and I suspect there may be one DMR repeater or more in the NOVA/MD/DC area.

John
W4UVV

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I bought an Hytera PD782G a few months ago along with the programming software. Once you get the color code and slot, you can program the radio. No matter what radio you get to monitor, you'll need the slot and color code.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
There are Ham DMR repeaters in Fancy Gap, Wytheville, Richmond and over on the coast at least temporarily. There are also ones in Haymarket, Towson, DC, and Charlotte Hall MD

Check out NCPRN

Also check out DMR-MARC repeaters

DMR-Marc is the main Trbo site for DMR in the US. The repeaters page seems to be messed up right now but usually it has an interactive map you can search.

Also there is the national 4 simplex channels but be advised some will say they aren't even if they are. I keep my radios monitoring those four channels even though I don't have a DMR repeater in my area. See bottom of this page for UHF as well as two VHF channels. http://mototrbo.org/talkgroups/index.html#simplex

Also there are two DMR repeaters in and around Beckley WV if you get out that way at all.

Good luck

Last edited:

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Chesapeake is the coast DMR site. Sorry had to check my zones out and see what was what. I also have Petersburg listed as a zone for DMR but I believe someone told me they pulled that repeater. I know there is the one in Richmond now so that probably took its place.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Yes, the one from Petersburg is the one now currently in Richmond. Actually near Midlothian but, close enough!

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
thats a good price for that if they follow their word

I had sent an email asking all kinds of questions on the new CS7000 just after posting my above and this was the response I received.

"The first versions will be D-STAR and DMR and ANALOG. Hope to have more information soon".

So, I am looking forward to this radio.

I bought an Hytera PD782G a few months ago along with the programming software. Once you get the color code and slot, you can program the radio. No matter what radio you get to monitor, you'll need the slot and color code.

100% Correct! For those who need a point in the right direction on what and how to obtain the above mentioned, here you are> Digital Voice Decoding Software - The RadioReference.com Forums

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
The CS700 is a pretty good deal. It has a 1000-channel capacity and very good reception. I'm not aware of any DMR ham repeaters in Lynchburg. Richmond has one on 443.5875. There's supposed to be one in Chesapeake on 442.5875, but I was unable to hear it or reach it from Newport News this weekend.

Can't speak to the ones in Haymarket or DC, because I don't know what network. The Richmond repeater is on the NC PRN system. (Home | NC PRN)

Most ham DMR is on UHF. Virginia has a number of counties using it on VHF, including Charles City, Madison, Orange, Greene & possibly Mathews. I think there may be some UHF DMR going on in Mecklenberg and/or Lunenburg Counties.

Watch out, there's not just timeslot & color code. There's also talkgroup and ID number, and these can get confused sometimes. It's even a little strange in radio programming because a radio ID can function as your talkgroup when making private calls on systems that support it. In the programming of the CS700, both talkgroups and some radio ID's appear on the "Group Contact" list. Talkgroup #'s are classified as 'group call' and radio ID's are termed 'private call'. You will also see both displayed on the radio and in potentially confusing ways.

One local security force near me has radio ID's numbered roughly 1060-1080, but their talkgroup number is 198765. Seems like it should be the other way around, but the info comes from a reliable source and I can confirm it via the architecture of the radio. 1069 is the ID of the base station, with several users numbered nearby in sequence. The talkgroup ID is consistent as the radio ID's change.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Last edited:

K4KNJ

Good Reference Point to Find DMR Info in VA is DMR Repeater Area

To Find DMR users in any State Check Out
DMR-MARC Network
Do a Query User table and Type in the State it will return DMR users.

If anyone needs more info. You can contact me directly as I am a avid DMR user in SC and VA repeaters happen to be on the same NCPRN network

If you want join the email list server we have set up for Digital Modes in Ham Radio
DigitalModes Info Page

K4KNJ

do you need the group and all just to monitor? like a local public safety system that i have no intention of txing

DMR in Ham Radio uses 2 Timeslots called TS for short. You would need a Radio Programmed Properly in order to separate the TS and Talkgroups(TG)....You can't just add a frequency and listen...

smokey136

Premium Subscriber
I am hoping their will be a few of these radios mention here at the upcoming frostfest in Richmond next month..

Status
Not open for further replies.