• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What was your first CB radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unit243

My first radio was back in 1976 , it was a Realistic Mini 23 with a Realistic desk power mic and an Archer 3 element beam .
73's

1137 Southern Ontario Canada.

Retroradio

As a base station a Realistic TRC-52 with a 1/4 wave antenna. I found that the TRC-52 had a very robust sounding audio compared to later 23 channel radios.

A sidebar if I may.....The last listing for a TRC-52 in the Radio Shack catalogues IIRC was 1977. I keep finding references to a TRC-152 on the net that looks identical but cannot find it in the catalogues. Anyone know the history on this unit?

Dann

Premium Subscriber
My first CB was a SBE Cortez 23 channels with a power supply and a 5/8 wave ground plane antenna. I had a great signal. Back in 1975. I also had the SBE Sentinel 1 Scanner. I sure miss those days.

Dawn

I can answer this. I was still working for RS when this radio came out as the '52. It was a "wedge" radio in RS's product line. I need to explain that. Up to about late 1974, there was a $159 price point for a 23 channel radio that had a S meter,delta tune, ANL/PA switch. There were a scant few 23 channel radios that were no frills without a meter or any features, just the basic FCC requirements of a transmit/modulation indicator light that sold below this price. In '75 with the CB boom building, there were several price buster radios selling through department and auto stores that were breaking this price point around $130 such as Kraco, whatever K-mart's brand was, Spark-O-Matic and many others that were eating the full feature mobiles sold by the main manufactures lunch based on knobs and switches.

Radioshack's love affair with Hitachi was also straining at the time as they made relatively uncompromised designs, so RS started to court Uninden for cheaper radios. The TRC-52 had all the features of the TRC-24x which was the mobile full featured AM set that still sold for $159, but sold for about $30 less. That difference and cheaper build sold like hotcakes compared to the 24C and also looked much more high tech with the larger meter and departed from the old wood grain decor. The TRC-24 was a much better radio and the TRC-30x Navaho base was the same board inside.

In the lead up to the 40 channel expansion, nobody knew at the time until last minute what the bandplan was going to be. Several companies such as RS and Sharp were either saying outright or encouraged to hint that the new radios were going to be able to be upgraded to whatever the new bandplan was going to be. Lots of people were holding off on a purchase waiting for the new radios to come out and 23 channel radio sales dropped off to nothing. I was still working there when the came out with the TRC-57 base station that was pll based, but 23 channels. Nowhere did they say the radio was upgradable to whatever the new band plan was going to be, but we were told to push the hint that due to the radio having advance pll circuitry, it would be upgradable. After I left, the trc-152 came out. First one I seen was bought by another employee I used to work with. The 152 looked exactly the same with 23 channels, but instead was based on a pll synthesizer. They used the same chassis and metalwork, but the board was different. I don't know if upgrading was still part of the sales pitch that never happened and the FCC never permitted it, but the soon followed with another radio that looked just like the trc-52 and 152, but was 40 channels due to the PLL design naturally called the TRC-452 which was the same radio, but a 40 channel rotary switch. They followed this by another one that looked the same, but had a 2 digit LED display that I don't know if it was the same radio inside or not.

These were kind of strange times due to market forces and uncertainty what the FCC was going to do and accounts for some of these hybrid 23 channel radios that either were capable of expansion or immediately offered as a first-in-the-market, legal 40 channel radio with a non-digital rotary switch. The 52/152 was one of many such transition radio models that went from crystal synthesis to PLL in the same chassis.

Hope this answers your question

As a base station a Realistic TRC-52 with a 1/4 wave antenna. I found that the TRC-52 had a very robust sounding audio compared to later 23 channel radios.

A sidebar if I may.....The last listing for a TRC-52 in the Radio Shack catalogues IIRC was 1977. I keep finding references to a TRC-152 on the net that looks identical but cannot find it in the catalogues. Anyone know the history on this unit?

Retroradio

Dawn...
All I can say is WOW ! Thanks for the comprhensive back story on the TRC-52 and TRC - 152. :)

I recenly fired up the TRC-52 and the audio was far more vibrant than my current Bearcat.

One last question, the TRC-152 doesnt seem to be in the catalouges. Was this an un catalogued radio that was an in store item only? If it is in a catalogue can someone tell me which year.

kc8kek

TRC-495

Radio Shack's last base station, TRC-495, and twenty years later it's still in the shack and working fine. Surprisingly, it managed to survive my period of "antenna theory" trial-by-error when I first got it at 12. A couple years later I joined the local REACT team, and actually used to take calls on Channel 9, even in the late 90s...those were the days*.

*I say "those were the days, but I have gotten rather used to having a cell phone that I don't have to carry in a briefcase.

Dawn

Dawn...
One last question, the TRC-152 doesnt seem to be in the catalouges. Was this an un catalogued radio that was an in store item only? If it is in a catalogue can someone tell me which year.

These radios were merely blips on the timline Retro. They appeared as interm 23 channel radios usually using the same chassis and metalwork as their previous namesake with lives of 2-6mo. befrore the 40 channel version came out. that would have been too short of time for a catalog listing and maybe one or two advetisements in publications. The following radio was often the very same radio with a 40 channel rotary dial and switch that was also very short lived just to keep current in the game.

Market forces at the time dictated the full featured am set to have two digit LED display as the new standard. Besides, 40 channel rotary dials based on 23 channel frames had a tendency to be too difficult to read in a mobile and many only printed every other channel to keep the print size large enough.

Many companies did this with virtually no catalog or advertisement. You ordered one and got the other. Externally there was usually no hint of difference from the orignal crystal synthesis version. Sears did this with their Roadtalker 23, Courier with the Centurion and Guardian, as well as many others like the Simba 2 we discussed a while back. Many radios fell into this black hole of transitional 23 channel pll models that looked identical to their crystal synth. versions. Some progressed to a dial 40 channel, others went directly to a totally different radio with LED displays.

Another force at the time was style. Wood grain and Wood contact vinyl on metal was on the way out in favor of silver and black as high tech. For a very short period of time there was also a military look that was popular. Anything that looked like your dad's CB was passe'. Cheaper made chassis and injection molded panels became the norm to cut costs even further.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Mine was a hand-me-down Cobra 19 Ultra. The first rig I ever bought was a Radio Shack TRC-444. Once I really got into CB I had a bunch of rigs like the Uniden Washington and Gtant XL and the Cherokee CBS 1000. Sold most of it for big $$$ to finance my Ham station.

Same first CB for me also. The best I ever had was an Galaxy 959 with an telephone style handset.

kf7yn

My first was a Realistic Navaho Model TRC-30A Crystal 120V & 12V. Great old base station. I used it mobile as well in my 64 Chevelle. Even though it was a big radio, I had plenty of room under the dash.

If the 100 mW stuff counts, my first portables were these Japanese transistorized things on Channel 14 around 1973. Then I got an Archer Space Patrol desktop radio. My first "real" one was a Regency CR-142 in 1975, followed by a Royce 1-632 with SSB around 1977. It was a great time for radio of any kind.

Retroradio

Dawn,
Thanks for the information on the TRC 152. You have answered my question and closed the loop on an anomoly that I was trying to figure out. Thanks !

avery_k

Premium Subscriber
Time for a trip down memory lane, probably not as far as some of you though!

My first radio was a Uniden Pro710e that worked reliably. First used the stock mic, then traded some CB stuff I didn't need for an Astatic Silver Eagle. Ran that combo first into a Starduster about 20 feet off the house roof, then into a 5/8 wave that I rebuilt with scrap aluminum tubing after it had apparently blown off someone's roof. I tuned it up in my front yard using a 6-foot pipe before hoisting it on the roof with the 20-foot mast. Now THAT was a scary job.

The next radio in the lineup was a TRAM D201 which I found at a yard sale. Hands-down the best-sounding radio I've ever owned, transmit or receive. I ran that with the Silver Eagle into the home-built 5/8 wave and it did a marvelous job. Sadly, a component let go somewhere that took it out of service. By that time I was married with kids on the way so CB'ing got put on the back burner.

dswaff

Halicrafter 6 channel crystal controledl with 102" whip mounted on a 1957 Buick Super. 1964 when a lic was required. KDB1791 DonS

riverrat373

Radio Shack TRC-30A. I wish that I had kept it! I occasionally see them for sale on Ebay. If I ever see a mint one I will probably buy it for old times sake!

Last edited:

booksbenji

USMC Comm Spec(69-75)

1st CB radio was RS MINI-23, 102' whip on right rear bumper until 1980 when I got a 77 AMC Pacer w/luggage rack w/4 antennas(1 scanner, RS + 3 CB antennas(Audio King, the Whip, KD40)). @ this time had a SBE LCS4(CB?SSB, their mic stock), also base RS CB w/DB104 w/ground plane Ringo base antenna.

SBE LCS4 was the best radio I ever had got another one 1 1/2 yr ago(new out of box from Ebay($129), still look on Ebay for good bargains. Currently live in Midland, Tx., got out of Marines 75 lived in Houston until mid 80's, moved to DFW area until 88 then Midland.

1987 I will never forget because of the 1987 Saragosa,Texas tornado*, bout a wk of 24 hrs duty, SSB club ran most of the comm for the state, got a plague from Gov Mark White( I believe).

*1987 Saragosa, Texas tornado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.