Wi-Fi Support Update Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

an39511

I want to share some things I have discovered about the dongle. Connections were made using "Infrastructure Mode"

V 5.01 (older dongle firmware) works good streaming audio. Sound is clear with no audio choppiness but the feed can randomly stop at any time. It may run for hours or only a few minutes. The WiFi connection remains solid and can still ping the scanner's dongle. I also discovered that once the feed is interrupted or I shutdown VLC media player the only way I can get the feed to stream again is to power cycle the scanner. If I try and restart VLC without power cycling the scanner I get a "connection failed" error. And lastly, V5.01 does not work with remote control software

v7.28 (newer dongle firmware) works well with the remote control software but appears to have problems with audio streaming. The longer the audio streams the more chopped the sound becomes. The choppiness is not the audio stream stopping and starting but rather chunks of the audio is lost. The problem seems to be worse when I have the remote control software running at the same time.

The audio stream on both versions seem to be one seat meaning you can only have one stream at a time. A second attempt to connect results in a "connection failed" It may also cause the current audio feed to be interrupted because after a minute or so the audio stopped on the original feed.

These tests where done using several dongles, some were from the original shipment a year ago and others were from shipments received less than a month ago. They all perform the same way so the dongle hardware probably is the same.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I want to share some things I have discovered about the dongle. Connections were made using "Infrastructure Mode"

V 5.01 (older dongle firmware) works good streaming audio. Sound is clear with no audio choppiness but the feed can randomly stop at any time. It may run for hours or only a few minutes. The WiFi connection remains solid and can still ping the scanner's dongle. I also discovered that once the feed is interrupted or I shutdown VLC media player the only way I can get the feed to stream again is to power cycle the scanner. If I try and restart VLC without power cycling the scanner I get a "connection failed" error. And lastly, V5.01 does not work with remote control software

v7.28 (newer dongle firmware) works well with the remote control software but appears to have problems with audio streaming. The longer the audio streams the more chopped the sound becomes. The choppiness is not the audio stream stopping and starting but rather chunks of the audio is lost. The problem seems to be worse when I have the remote control software running at the same time.

The audio stream on both versions seem to be one seat meaning you can only have one stream at a time. A second attempt to connect results in a "connection failed" It may also cause the current audio feed to be interrupted because after a minute or so the audio stopped on the original feed.

These tests where done using several dongles, some were from the original shipment a year ago and others were from shipments received less than a month ago. They all perform the same way so the dongle hardware probably is the same.

As usual I must be very lucky. I've had mine streaming for over 3 hours at a time with no choppiness at all.

Maybe I need to wait longer for this issue to happen.

SOFA_KING

Mine ran all night without any audio or remote software hickups on a Netbook running XP. Whatever is causing your audio problems, it is not being universally experienced by everyone. Memory leak? Hard to say, but something is running low on resources by the sounds of it.

Phil

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
For those of you using VLC,...

Try enabling the equalizer, raising the preamp level, using the "Flat" preset and enabling "2 pass".

Made an improvement for me, your setup may need different setting though.

cupman

Wi-Fi update

Do I need 5.01 if I do not have a Wi-Fi Dongle? Thanks for your help.

John

scanboyca

VLC Lag

I have noticed that the longer I stream to VLC, the worse the delay in audio becomes. When I first connect, the lag is about 1 second. After a couple of hours, the lag increases to more than 5 seconds. I'm monitoring on a Wi-Fi connected XP laptop from the stone age.

Is anyone else experiencing this type of audio delay behavior?

Mrthor3232

Premium Subscriber
My experience with the VLC is great on the computer but the Android app it is really choppy so much so I can not understand a word that is said. The Remote software ran overnight and today there has been no hiccups at all. I would love to at least take audio on the road.

MidTNScanDude

After 12 hours continuous streaming to PC (Widoze 7) it got progressively worse. At 10 hours it was annoying, at 12 hours it was painful. Restart the stream and it was back working good.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I have noticed that the longer I stream to VLC, the worse the delay in audio becomes. When I first connect, the lag is about 1 second. After a couple of hours, the lag increases to more than 5 seconds. I'm monitoring on a Wi-Fi connected XP laptop from the stone age.

Is anyone else experiencing this type of audio delay behavior?

After 12 hours continuous streaming to PC (Widoze 7) it got progressively worse. At 10 hours it was annoying, at 12 hours it was painful. Restart the stream and it was back working good.

Yes, after awhile the remote head display is waaay ahead of the audio. So much that if you don't recognize the voice you have no idea who is talking because the display is showing something else.

But I doubt this is a product of the scanner/dongle...but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

omrail

well in Tokyo its 9 AM Monday morning and a post by UPman indicated that's when the engineer start so hopefully there will be a fix soon for the dongle update.

tech59

Feed Provider
I guess I'm doing something wrong. Firmware update went fine, network see's scanner, downloaded VLC media player but it keeps telling me connection failed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

garys

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this was reported yet or not, but the new version of Sentinel does NOT work with the BCD436HP; it just locks up and hoses the SD-Card in Windows 8.1. Another home run by Uniden...:mad:

I downloaded the new version of Sentinel and launched it. It reads and writes to my 436HP without a hitch.

Must be you.

Mrthor3232

Premium Subscriber
So you can confirm that the new sentinel software will not break the the 436. I have been hesitant to plug it in after the update .

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I read from and wrote to my 436 (including erasing favorite lists and forcing the full db) this morning with no issues.

dmaria

Because some people like me who can't afford to go out and buy a new laptop with windows 8 in it!

And those would appreciate if Uniden would do the right thing and continue to support it!

Believe it or not Windows XP still gets updates from Microsoft. so the idea that they don't support it anymore is bogus! [emoji35]

Some of us are NOT independent millionaire Republicans who can just afford to go out and buy what they want some of us have to actually work for it!

Hopefully this doesn't upset the board God's here but you know what it's absolutely true. [emoji35]

Sent from my galaxy s4 using tapatalk and voice to text.

I had to go through the task manager to shut it down also, and I'm running Win 7 64. I think it may have been because it couldn't find the dongle (mine got borked). Some people just seem to want to blame the user and not the software, and I really don't know why when they are not in possession of all the facts. Maybe one day Uniden will find new engineers.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Engineering will meet with the Wi-Fi vendor to discuss this issue in about 6 hours. I'm going to spend the time taking a nap.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The remote head utility is just an engineering utility. It was never meant to be a product. I released it to the public as a courtesy...but it does what we need it to do (allows us to talk back and forth to the scanner over the wifi link in testing situations).

garys

Premium Subscriber
So you can confirm that the new sentinel software will not break the the 436. I have been hesitant to plug it in after the update .

It worked fine for me, which is all I can confirm. Updated Sentinel, plugged in my 436, did a read and write test. No problem at all.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It looks to me like we are discussing three separate topics in this thread: the wifi dongle update, the VLC Media Player and the Remote Head software.

Any chance we close this and start three separate threads, perhaps even making stickies of them for the time being?

Status
Not open for further replies.