Wi-Fi Support Update Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Unfortunately, that was 24+ hours too late for some of us.... so now patiently awaiting engineering's solution for version 0.00.....

Ever wanted to just get a different dongle? They will say a week but it will be 6 or 7 months.

richk107

I would be wiling to offer up my Wifi dongle as a guinea pig to test out the new procedure in the field. I'm good at following engineer-centric directions.

Rich

For those who have the v0.00 issue (update attempted from 5.01-->7.28 using the scanner), engineering has been able to duplicate the issue and has been able to correct it in a very engineer-centric way (not one that the typical user could do). They will be able to issue a procedure for this, but are studying/developing the fix this week.

For those who have dongle v5.01 and want to update, I'll put instructions up later on the FirmwareUpdate page (that will be similar to what has been posted above).

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
What was the original software version ?

For the wifi dongle ?

W4ELL

Feed Provider
Hey Upman,

I mentioned before that the control software, the MARK II one, is making my computer lock up... Here's my system info for your engineers.

Screengrab is attached:

You do understand, as it has been mentioned in this thread a few times, the control software is NOT something that Uniden is releasing to you as an intended supported product?

It is something that their engineering department uses to test the functionality of the dongle. UPMan released it so that we could mess around with some of the dongle functionality while we wait for the Siren app to be released. They aren't going to waste development time trying to get a test app to work properly for everyone. Just an FYI to anyone who might not be in the know.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Cannot connect

I did all the steps, scanner shows version 1.05.01
Wifi dongle shows version 7.28 was 5.01 I did update today.
I entered my ssid
I entered my wpa2 password

Ok update seems the remote software can now see the scanner on the network.

When I click search scanner it comes up then hit ok nothing happens...

Ok ok after a few attempts it's working!! rh536 is same as scanner screen.

Only problem left is VLC Media player, "cannot connect to (myscanner ip)" check log?

Last edited:

wise871

Database Admin
For those who have the v0.00 issue (update attempted from 5.01-->7.28 using the scanner), engineering has been able to duplicate the issue and has been able to correct it in a very engineer-centric way (not one that the typical user could do). They will be able to issue a procedure for this, but are studying/developing the fix this week.

For those who have dongle v5.01 and want to update, I'll put instructions up later on the FirmwareUpdate page (that will be similar to what has been posted above).

I just hope in the future we will still be able to update via the radio. Many of us have the WiFi dongle installed in vehicles and it would be a pain to pull everything apart just to perfom updates.

K8cpa-chuck

You do understand, as it has been mentioned in this thread a few times, the control software is NOT something that Uniden is releasing to you as an intended supported product?

It is something that their engineering department uses to test the functionality of the dongle. UPMan released it so that we could mess around with some of the dongle functionality while we wait for the Siren app to be released. They aren't going to waste development time trying to get a test app to work properly for everyone. Just an FYI to anyone who might not be in the know.
Fair enough. I just wanted to know that wasn't working but if they're not going to release it and we have to wait on the siren app so be it.[emoji57]

Sent from my galaxy s4 using tapatalk and voice to text.

JamesO

Dongle/scanner/VLC stability update

Dongle/scanner/VLC stability update

Not sure if anyone has posted an update, but I have had the dongle/scanner/VLC open, powered up, and have paused and played the VLC a bunch over the past 24-48 hours using my overburdened beater wireless XP laptop.

My wireless and hardwired network is pretty robust and has been solid for months.

I can happily say, so far I have not seen any issues with the scanner/dongle/VLC player doing what I would expect it to do.

I have not listened very closely to VLC buffer window as compared to the scanner audio, so I do not know if there has been any creep, but overall the dongle/scanner connection appears to be pretty solid.

It would be nice to have the ability to configure static IP in infrastructure mode rather than DHCP and possibly manually enter an SSID in case someone had the SSID hidden, but these are minor issues that could hopefully be added in later releases.

But glad that the initial performance appears to be reasonably stable, so I hope others are also having good luck with a stable connection as well.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I just hope in the future we will still be able to update via the radio. Many of us have the WiFi dongle installed in vehicles and it would be a pain to pull everything apart just to perfom updates.

I have more than one SD card and just load the new data onto a card and then swap them out. Much easier than bringing my laptop out or the scanner in.

texasabil

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Upman!!!!

I got all things updated all is working well scanner is in the bedroom and listing to scanner in the office from the computer!!! Love it

wise871

Database Admin
I have more than one SD card and just load the new data onto a card and then swap them out. Much easier than bringing my laptop out or the scanner in.

I do the same thing. I'm refering too if we have to hook the dongle up to a PC and us the Updater.

northernsummit

Feed Provider
I updated a previously 4.06 dongle via the latest version of Sentinel and the Wifi Information says its still 4.06. I can ping the IP address of the scanner but I can not get it to stream to VLC.

Am I missing a step? I never went to version 5.01 and my Version is still 4.06 despite a firmware upgrade.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Connected

Ok I got it connected I had to figure out the exact url for VLC. Now hearing and seeing on pc. Onward to the APP for android.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I updated a previously 4.06 dongle via the latest version of Sentinel and the Wifi Information says its still 4.06. I can ping the IP address of the scanner but I can not get it to stream to VLC.

Am I missing a step? I never went to version 5.01 and my Version is still 4.06 despite a firmware upgrade.

Have you attempted the update using the instructions on the following link?

BCD536HPFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

I did that for a 5.01 version and it worked okay. A little tedious, but do-able.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I've just stumbled on something which may or may not be useful.

If you have several 536 scanners, it appears you cannot simply interchange dongles. In other words if scanner A is configured for dongle 1, you can't connect a different dongle to scanner A. If you do, you see a message "wifi is busy" or something like that. To get the other dongle working, you have to do a "Reset to Factory" and set the connection for the different dongle.

And of course if you do that, then if you use the RH 536, you have to update that with the new IP address assigned to that different dongle.

Status
Not open for further replies.