Is scanning becoming obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roveer

I've been listening to my PD and FD on and off for over 30 years. Back when I was in high school we had a nice little Bearcat 210xl scanner that did everything we wanted. Of course back then everything was a lot simpler. Our PD had it's own freq and our FD dispatch was only for local FD's so we didn't have to listen to a lot of other traffic. Now we are a P25 system and I've noticed that my town is on the same TG as 3 other towns. (Morris County)

I've noticed that it seems like the PD traffic is a lot more sparse than it used to be. I'm not sure if that's a fair statement because they still call dispatch on vehicle stops. But I'm guessing with the computers they have in their car they are not always doing DL lookups through dispatch, but I do hear it sometimes so that has be a little confused.

I'm about to buy another scanner (I have a 536HP for home and I'm going to get a 436HP for mobile use)

I'm a little concerned that encryption might be around the corner and once it is, it's pretty much game over. I've heard of a number of systems in central/south jersey who have plans for encryption. I'm just a little concerned about having $1,000 of scanner gear to hear fire/ems dispatch.

What are people thinking about the future of scanning from this point of view?

Thanks,

Roveer

ab5r

I wouldn't say that it is becoming obsolete, but definitely more difficult with most stations going digital and a trend toward encryption, which cannot be heard at all (for now). But, I know what you mean. It is frustrating.

R

retiredmich

The bad thing about any scanner as far as i am cocerned is that they cost to much & they are not perfict
for what they are sapost to do.Some of the settings will affect the radio performance. But you dont have to use some of the settings in their programs, you do with out to make it work properly. But that's my opinion.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Thirty years ago there were no cell phones or mobile computer terminals and limited channels. The only communications they had was the radio, or pull over and use a pay phone.

Now you have personal cell phones, computer terminals with numerous chat and email capabilities, computerized CAD dispatching, mobile status terminals, mostly used by fire and EMS, and satellite tracking and status updating, along with hundreds of talk groups and multiple tower sites, and then there is that darn encryption.

There is just more technology these days beyond just a radio and 1 or 2 channels. This is definitely going to affect scanner voice monitoring. I use to monitor the entire Cincinnati metro area on a 8 channel scanner, but now it requires expensive digital trunked equipment using thousands of talk groups.

troymail

Silent Key
There will always be something to listen to....it just a question of what you want to hear vs. what is available to listen to - and be willing to pay the cost of the radios.

As far as cost, I've been using scanners since the late 70's and I thought my Bearcat IV 8 channel crystal scanner was very expensive at the time when I bought it at Sears. 40 years later, given how the prices of everything has increased, scanner prices (to me) aren't really all that high. On the other hand, technology changes usually result in prices falling over time but you really can't compare the prices of niche technology like scanners to what you see with TVs and other electronics. The leading edge products - even computers and IPhones have higher than normal price tags.

ansky

One thing I don't understand is why the price of digital scanners has remained so high. They seem to have leveled off around $500 and it's been that way for many years. The only thing I can think of is demand for digital scanners is not increasing so they remain a novelty. You can pick up an analog trunking scanner for $100. I wouldn't think the technology in a digital scanner is that much different that it would justify a 400% price increase over analog.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Scanning isn't obsolete. Like mentioned above with many people using a scanner/scanner cell phone apps being available to be used to commit crimes, many PD's are reverting to encryption, usually AES encryption.

Companies are too not selling the proprietary rights for some of their system voices to be scanned. Such as MotoTrbo, ProVoice, Nexedge... Etc.. Of course you can use DSD to monitor but that requires being a bit technical.. Doing a discriminator tap to the output to allow these voices to be heard.

I do think within our lifetime or at least the next lifetime. Almost all digital radio systems will probably either be encrypted or unmonitorable.. Time will prove that right or wrong, and that's only my thoughts on the subject

ecps92

The new customers have forced a change, from REAL scanning to "Give Me" and "Let me Download" vs having to learn how to add/modify or even Search out new info.

Scanning ? Nope, it's more listening, like picking your favorite XM Channel to listen to

Analogrules

I honestly feel that we will be seeing just about all PD in NJ going encrypted in 5-10 years from now and more businesses either dropping radios altogether or going DMR. So, the quick answer to your question is yes, scanning is becoming obselete, but never completely. We should always be able to monitor Marine, Airplanes, most EMS, and railroads for years to come. Buying a digital scanner now is still worth it because you can always make at least 75% of the money spent on it by selling it on ebay in the future and downgrading to an analog scanner to pick up whatever is left to listen to.

Analogrules

As soon as my local PD goes encrypted, I will be selling my digital scanner and downgrade to a good analog scanner.

ecps92

Railroads are already moving to NexDn for a digital format. Our time monitoring them is slowly vaporizing.

VHF Marine is not slated for any changes, however the UHF on Cruise Ships and Ocean Liners is moving to MotoTRBO :(

I honestly feel that we will be seeing just about all PD in NJ going encrypted in 5-10 years from now and more businesses either dropping radios altogether or going DMR. So, the quick answer to your question is yes, scanning is becoming obselete, but never completely. We should always be able to monitor Marine, Airplanes, most EMS, and railroads for years to come. Buying a digital scanner now is still worth it because you can always make at least 75% of the money spent on it by selling it on ebay in the future and downgrading to an analog scanner to pick up whatever is left to listen to.

Analogrules

Which railroads are slated for digital? I believe NJ Transit rail at least (except for light rail) and PATH ops will remain analog.

ActionJackson

There will always be somethin' to scan. What it will be is up in the air. It's like the ol' cereal packs of 18 that had Apple Jacks, Frosted Flakes, Sugar Smacks, etc and after you ate all the good ones you were left with three Corn Flakes and a Special K. Ya might get stuck listening to FRS, Target, CostCo, baby monitors, etc. but you'll still be scannin' !!

Analogrules

Even most modern baby monitors are on extremely high frequency bands intentionally, so that they cannot be monitored. Only the old ones are on the 49 MHz bands.

mitbr

Enlighten us ?

Firstnet is a nationwide public service network. It is being implemented in all of the US states and some territories. It will replace all public service systems Fire,Pd and Ems and place them on the nationwide network implemented by the Feds.
The Feds want control of this so they can manage the coming civil unrest.
See more here.
First Responder Network Authority

Status
Not open for further replies.