Description: Surry County Animal Control
Public Works

also 52245 but it is encrypted

Thanks
Wayne

Last edited:

K4ASJ

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know what tg 60502 might be. Heard traffic today on this tg off the Wayne County Lee Plant tower. The tg appeared to be encrypted. Also picked up a lot of traffic on the dea comm tg 60596.

K4ASJ

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know what tg 60502 might be. Heard traffic today on this tg off the Wayne County Lee Plant tower. The tg appeared to be encrypted.

spiritofradio

Some strange things I noticed when I recently did a frequency search in the 700/800 range. The Welcome tower which carries the CC info on 773.20625 has a duplicate freq of 765.48750 which yields the same CC info. The Lexington tower which operates on 853.5000 has a duplicate of 792.29375. Does anyone know why that is? I can't confirm voice on the duplicate freqs bc I'm basing this off my pro-96 and pro96com data.

gesucks

Premium Subscriber
NACs for Sites

I just found out that if you go to the Database entry for VIPER25 and click on the name of the site, that in the site info is a place for the site NAC.

Please if you can receive a site, use a scanner or other method and decode the NAC and post here and submit to the database. With most scanners, you can set it to a P25 conventional channel on the Control Channel and it will decode the NAC.

I am specifically looking for NAC's for sites in the following counties (but having all would be great for the RR Database):

Northhampton
Halifax
Nash
Wilson
Johnston
Wayne
Lenoir
Craven
Jones
Onslow
Carteret
Hyde
Dare

Thank you in advance for the help!

tom01

Anyone know what tg 60502 might be. Heard traffic today on this tg off the Wayne County Lee Plant tower. The tg appeared to be encrypted.

Is all P25 now encrypted in USA. or what way is it worked over there? Does the encryption decrease the distance or is it just a lot of work keeping everyone on the same encryption code? Often wondered what way the emergency services operate over there? Can Fire talk to police on radios?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Is all P25 now encrypted in USA. or what way is it worked over there?

No. P25 is just a set of standards to help facilitate interoperability. It has nothing to do with encryption. Talkgroups on P25 can be encrypted or they can be in the clear.

Does the encryption decrease the distance or is it just a lot of work keeping everyone on the same encryption code?

Encryption can take place on a low power simplex frequency or it can take place on a talkgroup with statewide access on a statewide system. And keeping track of encryption keys is no more labor intensive than any other system management task.

Often wondered what way the emergency services operate over there? Can Fire talk to police on radios?

A common way of setting up systems here in the us is to have agency specific dispatch talkgroups (ie: Fire Dispatch, EMS Dispatch, Police Dispatch) then have common talkgroups for multi-agency response (ie: "OPS" or Public Safety "PS TAC").

It seems you are new to the hobby. Please click on the Wiki link at the top of the page as the Wiki has a lot of good information for folks new to our hobby.
This thread is for discussion of the statewide VIPER system here in NC so lets keep this thread on topic please. :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

reconrider8

I just found out that if you go to the Database entry for VIPER25 and click on the name of the site, that in the site info is a place for the site NAC.

Please if you can receive a site, use a scanner or other method and decode the NAC and post here and submit to the database. With most scanners, you can set it to a P25 conventional channel on the Control Channel and it will decode the NAC.

I am specifically looking for NAC's for sites in the following counties (but having all would be great for the RR Database):

Northhampton
Halifax
Nash
Wilson
Johnston
Wayne
Lenoir
Craven
Jones
Onslow
Carteret
Hyde
Dare

Thank you in advance for the help!

Halifax site: 1F0
Brinkleyville site: 1F0
Odom site: 1F0
Old mill: 1F0

mikev

I might have a change, but can't verify (yet; I'll try to confirm tomorrow). I'm in Charlotte for the race, and when I was at the track, I was amazed at how poor the signal was. I had programmed the control channels as they're listed here in the DB, but it looks like the primary CC for Concord may have changed.

When I got back to my hotel, I did an Analyze on one of the Mecklenburg County sites that I can receive, and it's showing Concord as being on 852.2875.According to the DB, the primary is 852.7375. I'll try and check tomorrow if this is correct or not, or maybe someone else can confirm before then.

BTW, if anyone's interested, there seemed to be some coordination on Event E1, TG 51971. I think it's mostly SHP, but not sure if anyone else is on it.

EDIT: Actually, I was able to verify from my hotel (sorta surprised me, but I'm pulling in the Concord site with 100% decoding from south of Uptown)... 852.2875 is the control channel for the Concord site. 853.5125 is still the alternate. 852.7375 is still used for the site, just not as control.

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the updated info. The database has been modified to reflect these changes.
Marshall KE4ZNR

I might have a change, but can't verify (yet; I'll try to confirm tomorrow). I'm in Charlotte for the race, and when I was at the track, I was amazed at how poor the signal was. I had programmed the control channels as they're listed here in the DB, but it looks like the primary CC for Concord may have changed.

When I got back to my hotel, I did an Analyze on one of the Mecklenburg County sites that I can receive, and it's showing Concord as being on 852.2875.According to the DB, the primary is 852.7375. I'll try and check tomorrow if this is correct or not, or maybe someone else can confirm before then.

BTW, if anyone's interested, there seemed to be some coordination on Event E1, TG 51971. I think it's mostly SHP, but not sure if anyone else is on it.

EDIT: Actually, I was able to verify from my hotel (sorta surprised me, but I'm pulling in the Concord site with 100% decoding from south of Uptown)... 852.2875 is the control channel for the Concord site. 853.5125 is still the alternate. 852.7375 is still used for the site, just not as control.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Some strange things I noticed when I recently did a frequency search in the 700/800 range. The Welcome tower which carries the CC info on 773.20625 has a duplicate freq of 765.48750 which yields the same CC info. The Lexington tower which operates on 853.5000 has a duplicate of 792.29375. Does anyone know why that is? I can't confirm voice on the duplicate freqs bc I'm basing this off my pro-96 and pro96com data.

Images.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
After speaking to a Motorola tech that stopped by my radio shop last week I have found the reason for the recent CC changes/NAC changes/migration of some sites to 700Mhz. Some nasty Co-Channel Interference among VIPER sites is the reason for the changes. When you have a system the size of VIPER keeping interference down is always a tricky issue.
Marshall KE4ZNR

K4ASJ

Premium Subscriber
Any idea what tg 60654 might be. Just heard it on the ocracoke tower while on vacation at ocracoke. Sounded like law enforcement surveillance activity. This tg is not in the database but I know that it's probably a federal agency due to the range it falls in.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Any idea what tg 60654 might be. Just heard it on the ocracoke tower while on vacation at ocracoke. Sounded like law enforcement surveillance activity. This tg is not in the database but I know that it's probably a federal agency due to the range it falls in.

USFWS1 which is US Fish & Wildlife 1.
Added it and couple other FWS talkgroups to the database.
Marshall KE4ZNR

msigmon3306

It would appear that the City of Newton Police Department has gone live on VIPER. No idea when they went but I started picking them up with my trusty Johnson on my way home from work this evening. Talkgroup 9577

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
It would appear that the City of Newton Police Department has gone live on VIPER. No idea when they went but I started picking them up with my trusty Johnson on my way home from work this evening. Talkgroup 9577

Thanks for the update brother!
Marshall KE4ZNR

ccsd157

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone tell me the flashcode options that are REQUIRED for a radio to work on VIPER? My Sheriff has me checking on Ebay and other sites trying to find some lower cost radios for us. I am only searching for XTS 2500 - 3000 at this point, but I dont want to buy some radios that will need a flashcode upgrade before we can program them.

Thanks

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
This is where surfing the states VIPER website provides some info....
Approved Radio Vendor List.

From Motorola you are allowed to chose from the following models:
Motorola – XTS/XTL 1500/2500 and 5000 series, APX 1000/4000/6000/7000 series.

As far as flashcode options: at the very least (and I mean VERY least) you should be able to get by with just Q574 (9600 Baud Trunking) and Q883 (3600/9600 Interoperability).

This is where going through an authorized MSS is a good idea as they can help you figure out what model radios along with what flashcode features you need to get to have the radio not only operate properly on VIPER but also on any mutual aid systems around you. These days you can't just get a radio for one radio system only. You have to consider Mutual Aid partners to your east, west, north and south.

Hope this helps!

Marshall KE4ZNR

Can anyone tell me the flashcode options that are REQUIRED for a radio to work on VIPER? My Sheriff has me checking on Ebay and other sites trying to find some lower cost radios for us. I am only searching for XTS 2500 - 3000 at this point, but I dont want to buy some radios that will need a flashcode upgrade before we can program them.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.