Scanner feed using Rasberry Pi ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1ti

Feed Provider
Hi...just curious if you are still running your feed with the Pi...and if so, what are you seeing for total power consumption?

Tim, N1TI

I finally got my Raspberry PI streaming to Broadcastify.com and sounding good. Like aaknitt states I had to change the USB port to a 1.1 speed instead of 2.0 speed.

All the documentation is out there to make Darkice work but it can be challenging if you are not familiar with Linux. What I am offering is access to a copy of my current image with the only difference being the server settings and password will be removed. The PI speaks it's IP address on boot and has a couple other add-ons. Of course I encourage you to try to get it working by yourself first, but if you get discouraged and give up let me know. I can put an image on Google Docs or something like that.

I've had my feed up for a couple weeks and it is sounding good. I have had no issues with the PI. In my opinion this is really the way to go. I have my dsl modem, router, scanner and PI all running off of a 12volt power supply with a AGM battery for backup. The entire system will run for hours if the power goes out.

Good luck.

Bob

DC31

Feed Provider
Hi...just curious if you are still running your feed with the Pi...and if so, what are you seeing for total power consumption?

Tim, N1TI

I run two Pi's each with a stream to broadcastify and an instance of TwoToneDetect. According to the UPS, the two pi's and an ethernet switch draw 5 w. Plug one scanner into the UPS and it goes up to 11 w. Plug in the second and it goes up to 17 w. for the whole setup.

Last edited:

slingshot202

Feed Provider
Any recommendations for help setting this up? I have an old Dell laptop that's getting slow. I started working on a new Pi but haven't been able to get everything set up. Was thinking of wiping the drive and starting over, but I'm no expert when it comes to Pi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frazpo

Wiping the drive of the laptop? Little confused on what the old dell has to do with setting up a Pi for a feed?

slingshot202

Feed Provider
I'm thinking I may need to start from scratch is what I'm getting at.

Can anyone pass along a config file?

I have a need to host on Broadcastify and run two tone.

DC31

Feed Provider
I'm thinking I may need to start from scratch is what I'm getting at.

Can anyone pass along a config file?

I have a need to host on Broadcastify and run two tone.

For anyone who stumbles onto this post in the future, the raspberry pi image at TwoToneDetect includes a darkice streamer on it.

kappajoe

Hello out there,

I have had my Pi running for a couple weeks. I just powered the unit down and back up and I cannot seem to get the auto start to fire up. I can't get it to fire up even from a command line.

Nothing had changed on it and i have gone back on the unit and compared it down from the config above and elsewhere on the forum and all looks well.

Anyone have any advice for service start issues? The only thing I have found on the forum is the Comcast proxy issue and this above of waiting. Any other issues folks have seen with even getting it to start via command line?

Thank you,

Joe

frazpo

What command are you using to manually start and what are you trying to start??
Darkice?

Last edited:

kappajoe

yes, sorry, darkice from the default image from Lindsey's post. just: sudo service darkice1 start

I have reviewed the darkice cfg file and it is solid. again, nothing changed last night except a reboot of the pi.

Joe

frazpo

Have you checked the log for anything suspicious? should be in var/log/
Does it error or just not feed audio?

kappajoe

good idea....log has:

DarkIce: TcpSocket.cpp:226: gethostbyname error [11]

it is set for audio3.broadcastify.com as before. I am using a pfsense firewall and the comcast dns on it. that has been setup for years. all works fine from it for the systems inside. going to DNS the audio3 and put it in the .cfg file.....

kappajoe

maybe a little progress, after static addressing the .cfg file with 174.137.110.68

the log file now shows:

Using config file: /etc/darkice1.cfg
DarkIce: TcpSocket.cpp:251: connect error [101]

frazpo

good idea....log has:

DarkIce: TcpSocket.cpp:226: gethostbyname error [11]

it is set for audio3.broadcastify.com as before. I am using a pfsense firewall and the comcast dns on it. that has been setup for years. all works fine from it for the systems inside. going to DNS the audio3 and put it in the .cfg file.....

As with a lot of Linux setups, especially the Pi, things just become broken. I have had some strange issues that never made any sense that I simply chose not to spend much time on and just reimaged the card.
Not to say this cannot be fixed. I did find an earlier post with your exact problem but it did not show any information on a fix for it. I would re image if I were you. Do you create an image of your setup once you are done and have it working? That is something I do. I decode ads-b and there are tons of addons so once I get a system running good I image the working SD card and mark it.
At the same time you will have the same issue if its outside the realm of the pi and in your network somewhere. Sorry I cannot be of more help. Maybe someone else will chime in here.

This is the beauty of the Pi. It doesn't take much to start over.

kappajoe

thanks, yeah, I plugged it directly into the back of the cable modem and ssh'd to it. same error on connect. IP or DNS no luck.

re-imaging now.

any pointers you can share for imaging the clean and known-good config, that is a great idea. the last day i see from googling there are quirks to the Pi which i had not known from my traditional computer hardware experience. but the Pi is pretty cool generally and for this application....

Thanks for the sanity check

Joe

kappajoe

hmm, well.

I re-imaged the Pi and it looks fine generally.

If i use the dns name of audio3 i get the 226 error of gethostbyname

If i use the IP address of audio3 i get the 251 error of connect error

That is the same as before the re-image.

Anyone know any other transaction log to see where in the connection process it is hanging up?

Thank you,

Joe

kappajoe

well....a couple more reboots and it it broadcasting fine.....

This is highly unusual and can only be hardware issues.

I was about ready to order a new Pi board and pulled the power on it one more time.....

Presto the USB sound card started blinking and it came online a few seconds later.

So, in short, perhaps the re-image helped clear up something latent which had happened to the previous image, but I am pretty sure there is a hardware issue.

I'll order a new board and do some swapping next time on that.

Joe

frazpo

well....a couple more reboots and it it broadcasting fine.....

This is highly unusual and can only be hardware issues.

I was about ready to order a new Pi board and pulled the power on it one more time.....

Presto the USB sound card started blinking and it came online a few seconds later.

So, in short, perhaps the re-image helped clear up something latent which had happened to the previous image, but I am pretty sure there is a hardware issue.

I'll order a new board and do some swapping next time on that.

Joe

This is just my opinion but I think the Pi itself is probably the most dependable item in the setup.
These cheap peripherals that are used and the packages seem to cause most problems it seems.

radiotrack1

Feed Provider
I am running a RPI3. I currently use it to feed flight data to fr24 and flight aware. Can I also use it to stream audio? Will the audio stream run from the command prompt?

frazpo

With a Pi3 that should be no problem. I had EZstream installed and fed adsb with an original Pi.

Status
Not open for further replies.