• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX 7500 Mult-head with O3 head included

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9CD

All of the literature that I can find from /\/\ seems to indicate that APX multi-head setups are not supported with an O3 head (handheld). I am looking to see if anyone has actually tried this...and can attest to success or failure.

I am interested in setting up a dual-head APX 7500 to use one O2 or O5 head, and one O3 head. I would have expected that if the two heads were connected to the two CAN ports on the TIB, that it would work...but the literature indicates otherwise...and I don't (yet) have an O3 head to try this with.

Just curious if anyone has actually *tried* this, and if it worked or not...

N0BDW

I was told by a dealer that only the O5 head configuration supports multiple heads. I have not actually tried it as I haven't actually gotten my hands on any APX equipment yet (hopefully by the end of the year).

Would be interested to hear your findings.

What I wanted was an APX7500 w/ 1 O5 head and 1 O3 head, which I'm told is not possible.

Edit: From Batboard:
http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=105657&p=463572

The APX 7500 mobile radio and the O5 control head can be configured in a multi control head configuration to support up to 4 control heads on a single transceiver. This allows control of a single APX 7500 transceiver from up to 4 different control head locations. The O5, O2 and O7 control heads are the only control head that supports multiple control head configurations with up to 4 control heads.

The O3 isn't mentioned, and even if it were, I don't think you can mix and match?

Last edited:

W9CD

I've stumbled on that Batboard topic before, as well as the documentation referenced therein. But, the info was a bit old, so I figured I'd ask again...and I couldn't do that over there, as my account was apparently purged and I can't seem to receive their activation emails...so I came over here instead.

I have a handful of dual head setups running with O2 and O5 heads -- no problem. Just wish I could get one with a single O3 in the mix... It'd be a lot easier to test if I had an O3 head...but I don't want to waste the money if it isn't going to work... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.