Windows 10 & Uniden USB Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

Both packages are win10 compatible. Contact Uniden for updated win10 drivers. This is beyond our control and not a software issue.

2015-08-12 15:21 GMT+02:00 <info2007@butel.nl>:
> Email form details below:
>
> First Name: Theodore
> Last Name: Cappetti
> Email: tcappetti@comcast.net
> subject: Windows 10 Compatible
> Comments: ARC536PRO and ARCXTPRO are not compatible with Windows 10! Software opens but will not run with USB for updates etc. Is there and update coming? Thanks Ted.

Here's the reply I just got back from Butel. So, who's problem is it Uniden or Butel ? Just fix it !
>

ab2ms

Premium Subscriber
Scanner Monitor will work fine. After a bit of tweaking ProScan works for virtual control, but for my 436 it can't be used for programming, not sure if the functionality will be added or not. I can't seem to get the butel software to work in virtual control, but I can program with it. I don't want to buy 2 different programs because neither will do both jobs. And I don't see it being a uniden driver issue if other programs can control and display the scanner in serial mode.

Citywide74

Premium Subscriber
On my computer, 536 works arc & senitile. 996xt works with arc but not 996 p2 on same software. 996t works with arc as well on its version.

rkm1215

Premium Subscriber
32-Bit Win 10 and 64-Bit Win 8, but will probably upgrade it to Win 10 so I'll report back if/when I do.

caldwest

I have a 64 bit laptop and upgraded to Windows 10 a few days ago. Sentinel works fine, but in VC with ARC536 Pro the keys work, but the display does not show what is being scanned. I have reloaded ARC536 Pro and the drivers several times without success.

rolesnevich

Premium Subscriber
Right. I believe it's definitely a butel issue and they have it on their site saying the software works with Windows 10. I used the software (always have it running) before upgrading to Windows 10. It's almost like I have a free version that needs unlocked. But I never had the "free" version. I paid $60 for arc536pro when it 1st came out as a beta or whatever.
Like wise. I even respond to them when they told me it was driver. That was almost a week ago. No answer since. I am thinking they do not car.

I know Gommert has said this is a Uniden issue (which surprised me), but if other software is working OK..
Oh it not drive and Gommert appears to either not care. I waited over a week for answer from them after i was told it was driver.
Hopefully a software patch from BuTel will come soon
I doubt it.
Hi,

Both packages are win10 compatible. Contact Uniden for updated win10 drivers. This is beyond our control and not a software issue.

2015-08-12 15:21 GMT+02:00 <info2007@butel.nl>:
> Email form details below:
>
> First Name: Theodore
> Last Name: Cappetti
> Email: tcappetti@comcast.net
> subject: Windows 10 Compatible
> Comments: ARC536PRO and ARCXTPRO are not compatible with Windows 10! Software opens but will not run with USB for updates etc. Is there and update coming? Thanks Ted.

Here's the reply I just got back from Butel. So, who's problem is it Uniden or Butel ? Just fix it !
>

Yup got the same answer last saturday. Respond back with proof that it not driver. Not a pep since then. But clearly they do care and refuse to fix it. Because your email was answer 4 days after i gave them proof it not a driver.

Which explains why they did answer me back. That to says there at least two lies on there website.
The first where the claim there software works with windows 10 the second were the claim they support there product. I email them on 8/8 with proof it was not the driver.

mjtodd

Feed Provider
Typical answers from Uniden Support as I keep re-posting my issue to them & questioning whether or not they have a potential USB driver issue with Windows 10:

8/14/15: "All of our scanners with native USB just plug and play with Windows 10. For older models that have
a serial connection, older USB-1 cables will not work, as Prolific changed their drivers several years ago to only work with their newer chipset that has anti-counterfeit features. At that time, we changed the chipset in our USB-1 cables. So, if you have an older USB-1 cable it won't work with Windows 10;
newer cables will work."
(Ummm..the 996P2 doesn't use the USB-1 cable....)

8/6/15: "Unfortunately, we are not sure what the issue is your having Windows 10. We are currently checking into these issues because we are not having them on our end."

8/3/15: "I emailed our development department and they said that they have downloaded Windows 10 and it works for them. They said that it would be a problem with the software you are using most likely. I apologize for the inconvenience."

For those like me having this or similar USB driver issues since upgrading to Windows 10, it looks like Uniden isn't going to be quick to resolve it anytime soon.

rolesnevich

Premium Subscriber
Typical answers from Uniden Support as I keep re-posting my issue to them & questioning whether or not they have a potential USB driver issue with Windows 10:

8/14/15: "All of our scanners with native USB just plug and play with Windows 10. For older models that have

a serial connection, older USB-1 cables will not work, as Prolific changed their drivers several years ago to only work with their newer chipset that has anti-counterfeit features. At that time, we changed the chipset in our USB-1 cables. So, if you have an older USB-1 cable it won't work with Windows 10;

newer cables will work."

(Ummm..the 996P2 doesn't use the USB-1 cable....)

8/6/15: "Unfortunately, we are not sure what the issue is your having Windows 10. We are currently checking into these issues because we are not having them on our end."

8/3/15: "I emailed our development department and they said that they have downloaded Windows 10 and it works for them. They said that it would be a problem with the software you are using most likely. I apologize for the inconvenience."

For those like me having this or similar USB driver issues since upgrading to Windows 10, it looks like Uniden isn't going to be quick to resolve it anytime soon.

I am not convinced it driver probelm. I got two programs to work in Windows 10 with the driver and only one not. Driver issues are general all or none.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider

What would you like them to do, if they cannot replicate YOUR issue? Plenty of us are using Windows 10 just fine with our Uniden (and GRE/RS/Whistler) scanners. Is there ANY possibility in your mind it could be something you are doing or have done?

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
One other thing. This has been posted all over the place, and it amazes me how everyone just ignores it because "Uniden refuses to fix their driver".

325/996P2. 436, 536HP DO NOT NEED ANY DRIVERS.
If you have older Uniden drivers installed, remove them.

lep

I am using WIN 10 professional and my 996XT and my 785D both run fine under ProScan 8.5 using the Uniden USB 1 cables that I have had for several years. All you have to do is replace the updated drivers that Win installed during the installation of the upgrade from an earlier version with the 'old' Prolific drivers that you were using previously. It is not the fault of Uniden and actually not he fault of MS either, The problem is that the Prolific maker (an offshore company) is no providing the correct driver to Microsoft so it is the update that caused the Code 10 error. It is not big deal to fix and does not require any action by Uniden.

Theo

Premium Subscriber
One other thing. This has been posted all over the place, and it amazes me how everyone just ignores it because "Uniden refuses to fix their driver".

325/996P2. 436, 536HP DO NOT NEED ANY DRIVERS.
If you have older Uniden drivers installed, remove them.
Why would I remove them. I have older and new scanners so don't I need both Prolific drivers? You would of thought Uniden and Butel would of included the USB update as a courtesy.

Last edited:

caldwest

I previously posted that I could not get ARC536PRO's VC to work after upgrding to Windows 10 on my Dell 64 bit laptop. The data transfer works fine and the function buttons in VC work fine, but I just can't get the VC screen or log to work. Sentinel, Scanner Monitor, and Scanner Screen all work without problem on this Dell 64 bit laptop.

Yesterday, I upgraded my 32 bit Dell Laptop to Windows 10. Sentinel, Scanner Monitor, and Scanner Screen all work without problem, but I have the same issue with ARC536PRO's VC screen and log not working, while data transfer and the VC function buttons do work.

I use the front port of the 536 to connect to the laptops and never had a problem with either laptop and any of the software when using Windows 8.1. I have spent hours running ARC536PRO as administrator, reloading drivers, using the Windows 10 drivers, and reloading ARC536PRO (and reentering my registration keys) . . . all without success in getting the VC log and screen to work.

From reading the various Windows 10 threads on this problem, it seems that there is no clear solution or if it is a driver or software problem. It is quite interesting that some folks experienced no problem after upgrading to Windows 10, while others have the VC issue. I just want to share my experience with the Windows 10 upgrade.

rolesnevich

Premium Subscriber
I previously posted that I could not get ARC536PRO's VC to work after upgrding to Windows 10 on my Dell 64 bit laptop. The data transfer works fine and the function buttons in VC work fine, but I just can't get the VC screen or log to work. Sentinel, Scanner Monitor, and Scanner Screen all work without problem on this Dell 64 bit laptop.

Yesterday, I upgraded my 32 bit Dell Laptop to Windows 10. Sentinel, Scanner Monitor, and Scanner Screen all work without problem, but I have the same issue with ARC536PRO's VC screen and log not working, while data transfer and the VC function buttons do work.

I use the front port of the 536 to connect to the laptops and never had a problem with either laptop and any of the software when using Windows 8.1. I have spent hours running ARC536PRO as administrator, reloading drivers, using the Windows 10 drivers, and reloading ARC536PRO (and reentering my registration keys) . . . all without success in getting the VC log and screen to work.

From reading the various Windows 10 threads on this problem, it seems that there is no clear solution or if it is a driver or software problem. It is quite interesting that some folks experienced no problem after upgrading to Windows 10, while others have the VC issue. I just want to share my experience with the Windows 10 upgrade.

Sounds exactly like what I experienced and the software company refuse to help saying only that it driver. Yet two other programs work fine on same machine with the same scanner. Both Proscan (after changing to a port number higher then 10, tried that on arc as well with no joy) and scanner monitor work. Which pretty much rules out driver probelm and firmly lands in arc probelm but butel those not answer emails. Been waiting over a week for answer on how it could be a driver issues when other programs work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Like many on here, updated my netbook to Windows 10 and my old USB-1 cable didn't work with the old drivers. However, 996P2 and 325P2 cable worked fine. Tried to upgrade the drivers, and did not work. Ordered new USB-1 cable from Uniden as suggested, plugged it in and all working as before.

Too bad we have to pull our hair out (if you have any of course) and download drivers and jump through various hoops to get a simple USB cable to work. If I plug in any other USB device, the driver is found and ready to use within minutes. It's just a pain in the arse...

Voyager

That's because the chip manufacturer stopped support of the old chips due to counterfeiting.

BUT, some have reported that they found drivers that will work with Win10 on the old chips.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
That's because the chip manufacturer stopped support of the old chips due to counterfeiting.

BUT, some have reported that they found drivers that will work with Win10 on the old chips.

Yep...read all the previous posts, but to avoid the frustration, I'd recommend first is to replace the old USB-1 as others have done here. I suspect any future computer upgrades will require the "newer" USB-1 so I just bit the bullet and bought it now.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
For issues unrelated to using the older USB-1 (or other converter cable using the old Prolific chip set which is not supported for OS > Windows 7):

After further investigation, we found that .NET Framework 2.0 for Windows 10 has a bug. If we call GetPortNames API, .NET Framework 2.0 returns incorrect port names and adds 'strange' characters after the port name.

Others are also reporting this.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32040209/serialport-getportnames-returns-incorrect-port-names

But .NET Framework 4.0 or later don't have this issue.

This cannot be fixed by changing the driver (which is OK). Software authors must recompile their programs to use .NET Framework 4.0 (or later). We are in the process of checking/revising our software as needed. We cannot do anything about 3rd party software (i.e. ARC, Freescan, etc) not working, other than letting the software authors know what we&#8217;ve discovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.