• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Low profile VHF antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
My pickup doesn't fit in the garage, so not an issue for me. My wife's car is a Ford Escape, and it's got a 1/4 wave VHF on the top. It hits the garage door. No where near as tall as a suburban, but still, it hits. After doing this for 5 years, I've seen no issues at all with the antenna or the mount. Maybe a slight mark on the inside of the garage door where it hits, but that's it.

I have a Yukon XL (GMC Suburban) ... what 1/4 wave do you have that it has never snapped off? As you point out my truck is talker than then Escape, but I have broken 3 antennas in parking garages over the past year or two.

SCPD

QRT
Go with a quarter wave, W9BU. I can get in line saying the VHF fat hockey puck antennas are basically a waste of money. We put one made by Antenex on a truck, and that thing was basically a dummy load, in my opinion. You'll get better range by putting a quarter wave on, and if it's too high, bending it back 45 degrees.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There's a soft top version of this Austin antenna that's flexible with a heavy duty whip coating. I read a review long ago and it solved problems for a guy who couldn't take the scraping noise when entering/exiting his garage. He was also quite happy with it's performance.

Austin Antenna 500C Series Information Page

Or just put some heat shrink tubing on it on a standard 1/4 wave.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have a Yukon XL (GMC Suburban) ... what 1/4 wave do you have that it has never snapped off? As you point out my truck is talker than then Escape, but I have broken 3 antennas in parking garages over the past year or two.

Either the standard "chrome nut" style or the Larsen NMO-Q's.

Both of them are slender enough whips that they'll just flex out of the way. The chrome nut types are a bit better at this. Worst I've ever had happen was one go through a car wash and it bent over about 15 degrees. Easy to bend back. Anyway, when you can buy a new one for less than $20, it's cheap and easy to just swap them out.
The current set up on her Escape is the Larsen NMO-Q. been up there for several years with no issues.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
W9BU, is this low enough for you (of course they go to about a 45º angle running at highway speeds)?

76492042-088C-4CA1-9C49-8C6DED18CC2F_zpsfzsev1il.jpg

The Panorama sharkie would work well too. I've got one but not a LMR antenna to screw into it (it would still be a quarter-wave in length though).

Pass a black tahoe with a knob antenna…yup, I'd do it. Reason being, the special services package (or whatever they call the "police package") doesn't have the luggage rack on the roof. 98% of consumers who buy Tahoes for personal use don't delete said luggage rack. Also like most police package options, very rarely to they stick with OEM wheels. I've seen some undercover/unmakred vehicles done right but most aren't.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Those are the same thing?

Essentially. The new truck has a Panorama Sharkee (quad band cell, GPS, 2.4/4.9GHz, and various whip selections). Mine has a Nitol VHF whip currently. One day it'll get the tri-band whip (which doesn't flex like that).

The Sti-Co Flexiwhip is a Nitol whip for a regular NMO base.

Status
Not open for further replies.