Firmware Update 2015-10-27: Replay Duration 'OFF'

Status
Not open for further replies.

MStep

Any acknowledgement from Uniden that the firmware update did not produce the intended results??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thus far Uniden has been very quiet about the results (or lack thereof) of their last firmware update. It has been mentioned that Uniden is not always timely in coming forth with solutions, but I suspect that in this case Paul Opitz, the Uniden rep here on the forums, will address this sometime in the coming week. Stay tuned.

kandrey89

Feed Provider
Latest Updated Bug Summary and Testing

Hi,

just installed the latest firmware with latest Sentinel version on my BCD436HP.

1. The backlight stays on after transmission has stopped when the backlight squelch mode is set to "OPEN SQUELCH" only. The backlight works as expected if the backlight squelch mode is set to off, 5 or 10 seconds. Expected behavior is that the backlight turns off after the squelch closes when in "OPEN SQUELCH" mode, instead the backlight continues to stay on.

2. Regarding Mass Storage and Serial Mode when no input is provided:
***USB cable from computer:
---while cable is connected the radio is turned on [FAILED, radio remains in Select USB mode for at least 1 min]
---the radio is turned on, transmissions are being received and then the cable is connected [FAILED, radio remains in Select USB mode for at least 1 min]
***USB cable from usb wall power supply (Samsung Note 2 Phone charger):
---while cable is connected the radio is turned on [FAILED, radio remains in Select USB mode for at least 1 min]
---the radio is turned on, transmissions are being received and then the cable is connected [FAILED, radio remains in Select USB mode for at least 1 min]
[Conclusion: select serial USB mode after 10 seconds does not work on 436HP]

3. After turning off replay in settings, pressing the Replay button shows up a message that replay is disabled, and the message stays on for 5 seconds. If you ask me, 1 or 2 seconds would be plenty.

FYI, just as I was testing, CHP initiated a 115mph chase in my area. LOL 15 mile pursuit, ended in center divide TC, but I think the guy bailed and CHP is securing the area for search.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
There was a glitch when going to the production version that disabled the serial mode fast start. We're going to release a new version that takes care of this, as well as the backlight bug, as well as a huge, tremendous, fantastic feature addition. Target is by the end of the month.

AC2OY

I have a quick question? The sentinel update I think I can handle. As far as the new firmware update,isn't this done or I should ask,can this be done in Sentinel simply by clicking check for firmware updates then go through the steps? When things get hairy I'm not all that computer savy sadly to say.

kandrey89

Feed Provider
The update is extremely easy through Sentinel, use the Upgrade Firmware button or menu item (don't remember off the top of my head what the actual name is), provided you follow every word that shows up when you start the upgrade process.
I'm not sure what happens if you deviate, by not ejecting and then not pressing the power button.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I have a quick question? The sentinel update I think I can handle. As far as the new firmware update,isn't this done or I should ask,can this be done in Sentinel simply by clicking check for firmware updates then go through the steps? When things get hairy I'm not all that computer savy sadly to say.
Using Sentinel is the ONLY way to update the firmware.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Using Sentinel is the ONLY way to update the firmware.

If you can download the firmware bin file you can update it without sentinel. You drop the file in the firmware folder on the scanner with it in usb mass storage mode. Power down the scanner and restart it. It will load that firmware.

Done this to revert back to an older version and then back again.

Addition--- http://www.openuniden.com/files/firmwares/

Last edited:

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
You do know that site is not a genuine Uniden site, right?

Yes... I know... I've ran a comparison of the files. I pulled a copy of the bin from the favorites folder on the scanner before restarting it. That is, after all were sentinel puts it.

I usually copy it so I have a backup copy for my reference.

Last edited:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
There was a glitch when going to the production version that disabled the serial mode fast start. We're going to release a new version that takes care of this, as well as the backlight bug, as well as a huge, tremendous, fantastic feature addition. Target is by the end of the month.

I'm hoping against hope that UPMan will see this among the other posts in this and other threads:

If your coders have to address the backlight anyway, would you please consider modifying the "Squelch" backlight feature so that it behaves more similarly to the older radios, where the light stays on after the transmission ends, until the delay timer expires?

I have a laundry list of firmware tweaks to suggest, but I'm always hesitant to post them, because so often the outcome is that the thread gets hijacked by either some genius asking for hardware modifications in a firmware update, or a crybaby commandeers the thread to whine.

seth21w

I hope it is that huge LINEAR SIMULCAST MODULATION UPDATE to cure all my problems, with my brand new bcd436hp.

tech59

Feed Provider
BCD536HP is dead after firmware update. When writing to scanner it said something was corrupt and now all the scanner will do is show SD Card Read Error. Do not know what to do at this point. I think Uniden should have a phone number for technical support. Not happy with uniden at this point. Scanner was working perfectly before trying to update.

Last edited:

kandrey89

Feed Provider
Have you tried reformatting the card in FAT32 and writing the firmware to it like you would onto a fresh card?
Have you tried a different uSD card?
Seems to me like a uSD card problem rather than a bricked scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.