Pierce County Sheriff 700 mhz digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrak8

Premium Subscriber
Amtrac, I heard the automated system dispatch E-51 and M-51 on an "echo" channel,,,any talkgroup ideas?

Channel Echo 1 is the Buckley Fire VHF Channel. FireComm began dispatching for Buckley, Carbonado, Wilkeson, Greenwater and Crystal Mountain on September 15.

And US Digital automated dispatch was moved to Bravo 1 at 1100 yesterday.

b1100mac

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
From bainbridge island, you are more than likely hearing transit on the west seattle tower, which the sheriff does not use unless a unit were in the seattle area, which is not likely. You would need an external antenna, preferably pointed toward tacoma, orting or buckley to get the public service stuff, and i'm not sure you could even hear it then from your location. My 536 in the car, (with the exact antenna and coax that my buddies have on their patrol cars) is hit and miss at best when i'm mobile. No sheriff south of nisqually or north of auburn at all.
On the other hand, my bench mounted 436 recieves ALL sheriff and the newly RR listed charlie fire bank superbly but i have a roof mounted Yagi 700mhz pointed to the orting tower, and that only became audible when i went to the high dollar low loss coax (75' to the antenna) rg type coax produced nothing.
I live smack dab in the middle of pierce county, and had to spend damn near as much for an antenna, mount and coax as i did for the radio.
Also as a side note, I talked to a friend at a lunch meeting today who is a south sound 911 supervisor and he related there are still "bugs" and getting alot of flak from the troops for what it is worth.

amtrak8

Premium Subscriber
As of this morning, the following fire agencies are on Charlie:
Gig Harbor
Key Peninsula
Orting Valley
East Pierce.

kinglou0

Alright!

Charlie channels are finally on the South Simulcast. The terrain out here keeps me from getting Orting or Tacoma with the antennas I have now. Christmas Break starts soon and I'll have time to put up a 700mhz Yagi. Don't know if it'll work but it's worth a shot.

Stavro35

Reporting from the Winslow area of Bainbridge island. I did catch some public safety communications last night, I didn't note the talkgroup used. But it was definitely on the South Sound system .I'll try to get to a higher location in our building. And face southeast. For those with the BCD 436HP . Would you please contact me as soon as possible? You may pm me. Or e mail me directly at mykonosisl@comcast.net

Steve

kinglou0

Anybody have an idea what's up with talkgroups:

I've been using an old RTLSDR stick to watch the South Simulcast system to see what charlie channels would pop up with the move by the departments down here and I've notice these 3 mystery talkgroups.

I set up a Playlist just scanning these and got two 5 second calls on 40601 that were both encrypted. 40601 also happens to be the busiest of the 3 unknown talkgroups.

Over the last 3 days, 6 radios (4060009-4060014) associate with the talkgroups with mainly 40600 & 40601 in use.

Last edited:

ww7ch

Feed Provider
As of 1100 this morning, South Pierce, Graham, and Dist 23 have moved to the C TGs on SS911 700 system. Haven't heard a peep on D6 (in south pierce county area) since then.

Alright!

Charlie channels are finally on the South Simulcast. The terrain out here keeps me from getting Orting or Tacoma with the antennas I have now. Christmas Break starts soon and I'll have time to put up a 700mhz Yagi. Don't know if it'll work but it's worth a shot.

amtrak8

Premium Subscriber
Now that we transitioned the last agencies to the 700 system today at 1100...

The Delta Channels (Old VHF) will be used as follows:
Delta 1 = Tones/Dispatch
Delta 3 = Outside Mutual Aid (Agencies still on VHF in other counties and JBLM)
Delta 2, 5, and 6 are no longer used.

kinglou0

As of 1100 this morning, South Pierce, Graham, and Dist 23 have moved to the C TGs on SS911 700 system. Haven't heard a peep on D6 (in south pierce county area) since then.

I haven't caught anything on D6 either today but now that amtrak8 posted how VHF was going to used in the future, that makes sense.

I've been listening since Saturday (someone must have been sporadically testing over the weekend) and it's really nice to have fire on this system now.

ww7ch

Feed Provider
One thing I noticed this morning on my way to work (listening only to south simulcast) is that I did not hear any traffic on C1 but did hear calls tone out on D1. Perhaps no radios in the area were joined to that tg at that time.

Lou at my house to pick up the other SS911 and Tac/PuyPSRS sites I use a Wilson wideband yagi 314411 (originally used for a cell booster) and it works great

kinglou0

Lou at my house to pick up the other SS911 and Tac/PuyPSRS sites I use a Wilson wideband yagi 314411 (originally used for a cell booster) and it works great

Was looking at some of the DPD yagi antennas but it seems they stopped making them. Wonder why? Amazon has the 314411 @ $52 so I'll give it a try and see what I get.

kinglou0

Well, the mystery deepens.....

Been monitoring with Unitrunker today and saw 40601 pop up again.

This time, the audio was in the clear and I got a conversation from what sounds a road crew talking about the snow and when it was going to transition back to rain. Heard some profanity! That's a first for me....

17:35-17:39: between radio's 4060010 & 4060011.

I guess I'll just leave Unitrunker running and a Pro668 in record mode for 40600,40601,40606 over the next couple of days and see what comes of it.

kinglou0

40601 is Pierce County Roads/CMF (Central Maintenance Facility in Spanaway).

Over the last couple of days, I've been logging this talkgroup in Unitrunker and recording on my Pro668.

Multiple calls to CMF. Conversations about plowing in Ashford, Nisqually Park and Echo Valley & Mount Tahoma Canyon Road. Graders being sent up and conversations about extent of plowing on roads that were county maintained. Tree removal work and needing to contact Lewis County.

My ideas that this talkgroup was encrypted in my original post is wrong. It appears that the radios key the system up for a few seconds in order to maybe relay the signal from the towers out in Elbe?

https://soundcloud.com/kinglou0/20151223-114930au/s-YiFf7
https://soundcloud.com/kinglou0/20151223-114800au/s-yEuc8
https://soundcloud.com/kinglou0/20151223-111703au/s-anbAq
https://soundcloud.com/kinglou0/20151223-081853au/s-3v9Ac

b1100mac

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
700 mhz yagi

I bought the YA70012 antenna on ebay for under $21 shipped, intalled it with 75' of rg58 and it did not work any better than a radio shack 800mhz whip. THEN after talking with my radio guru, i switched to 75' of LMR240 low loss coax (not cheap but it works) and have no problems hearing SS911 period. You will need the LMR if your run is more than 30' i am told. In fact i use a simple 4-way cable tv splitter and run 4 radios off of this setup and all hear SS911 and PSRS great. Mine is pointed towards the orting tower but still hears buckley and tacoma towers well on SS911 and hears all of the PSRS towers great. Just a hint, if you get your LMR240 (or LMR400 if your really in the bucks) on EBAY be sure you order the one with the N connector for the antenna side and the bnc already on the other end to for-go the adapter issues i went thru.

SCPD

QRT
Mine is pointed towards the orting tower but still hears buckley and tacoma towers well on SS911 and hears all of the PSRS towers great.

From SE Bellevue, I'm pointing my log periodic at the Orting site. It's the only one I can receive at about 75% consistency. Oddly, I seem to get the PCT buses (and dispatch) 100% in the clear but Pierce Sheriff is in that 50-75% range -- all from the Orting site.

Just a hint, if you get your LMR240 (or LMR400 if your really in the bucks) on EBAY be sure you order the one with the N connector for the antenna side and the bnc already on the other end to for-go the adapter issues i went thru.

At these frequencies we should be using LMR400 or equivalent for maximum efficiency. Even LMR240 is going to have at least (1) s-unit of loss at 100ft.

Be sure to limit your use of adapters as each one adds to more insertion loss, especially the cheaper quality versions.

The original DPD LP was designed for 866 Mhz so I went ahead and ordered the Wilson 30111 antenna from MWAVE in California. They sell it for $54 shipped UPS Ground which is only 3-day delivery to WA. (Other places wanted $30 for shipping and a higher unit price!)

I'm curious to compare my LP to the Yagi to see which performs best. The Yagi is more wide-band so it might replace the LP if its performance is good.

Merry Christmas All --

Status
Not open for further replies.