Chester Co 160.1850 Data Locking Up Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillyfires

I am wondering if anyone could help me with scanning Chester County.
My office is in Malvern, PA and we monitor Chester Co on a Uniden 996T. Everyday usually in the afternoon the Dispatch Channel 160. 1850 locks up with a data signal.
According to RR a PL tone is not used and a new APCO-25 scanner is not in the budget.

If anyone could help me fix this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

W3DMV

Surprised no one offered anything yet. There are many active contributors on here from
Chester Co and someone will drop by.
I live in Gettysburg and the Chester Co 160.185 is very loud here even on my mobile
driving around town.
I assume the interference is a real station and not crud from something in your office
or neighborhood.
The only station licensed within 50 miles of Malvern is Ward Fuel Co in Hamilton, N.J. They have a
license for NFM only and nothing digital.
If the frequency in question is the only one monitored, then you might try reducing the size
of your antenna to eliminate the offending signal. If there are other channels programmed,
requiring the antenna in use, set the attenuator on for the frequency in question which could
help reduce the level of the other station....
Good luck....

phillyfires

i will try using a rubber ducky antenna and the attenuator tomorrow.

thank you very much

u2brent

OAMPT
Railroad Channel 005

The offending signal may be a nearby paging/medical system or even a channel used by the railroad in the Malvern area. Rubber Ducky may help. I'd try the attenuation option first.

Good Luck!

wtp

the 996T

that radio does do digital.
so I guess try one of the P-25 channels.
just checked and it also had data skip.

Last edited:

phillyfires

worked

Just did a trial run with the attenuation on and so far so good. No data signal. You as I listen before turning th Attenuation on, it sounded like a control channel. But who knows.
Thanks all for the suggestions. I will monitor during the evening rush with the scanner and online and see if I am missing anything on the scanner.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber

CommJunkie

The QRM in question is from a DMR Cap+ system run by North Penn School District (160.1775 on site 1)
ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Trunked License - WPHG723 - NORTH PENN SCHOOL DISTRICT

You'll also hear the same data noise on Chester County West Fire 159.600. Same system, same site

There's really no way to eliminate it without enabling the attenuator or I guess removing the antenna alltogether if you're close enough to a Chester County repeater

This is why they moved 159.735 to East Fire and 159.600 to West Fire

Now I get a dial-up modem sound on 159.600 sometimes in Southern Chester County. No idea where it's coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.