Monroe County Harris System

Status
Not open for further replies.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Attached are the 5 zones and talkgroups in each zone for the mobiles and portables. Mobiles are Harris XG-75M scan version and portables are Harris XG-25P scan versions. Some of the TGs are patched through to the VHF side but there are a lot of new tactical/working TGs added. The "Direct" zone is completely analog, not P25. Each agency was given their own encrypted TG for internal use also.

Are the TG IDs published, or are we going to have to do some sleuthing over the next couple months?

And let's hope that the use of encryption on the system doesn't go beyond those "private" groups!

D

DaveNF2G

Once you figure out a handful, it should be fairly easy to interpolate the rest.

MonroeCny

I do not have the TG IDs unfortunately. I'm planning on picking up a BCD996P2 soon so hopefully I can figure them out. Luckily all of the main working talkgroups are patched to VHF so you can follow everything without an expensive scanner for now. In the future more of the new TGs will be utilized. I haven't heard of anything else being encrypted so far beyond the single TG each agency was assigned for internal use.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Latest

So here's what I'm hearing this week.

The vast majority (at least) of the EMS rigs are using the new system. I haven't been able to pay enough attention to verify that ALL of them are using the new radios.

Most (if not all) of the EMS base stations are still on VHF though, as is the dispatcher.

The one thing I've really noticed though is that I'm seeing a LOT more Phase 2 traffic. At first it was just on the fireground talk groups (aka channels 3 and 4) but now it's on the EMS one too. Some agencies are still on Phase 1; others are all Phase 2. Once in a while I'll also see a rig on Phase 2 and when the dispatcher (via the patch from the VHF channel) answers, that traffic is Phase 2 as well.

One other thing I find interesting is that, while Monroe Ambulance has been exclusively on the new system for months now (no patch to VHF), when their rigs come up on the EMS or fire channels to notify the dispatcher that they are responding to a call, they are using VHF radios (which come over via the patch) instead of switching talk groups.

D

DaveNF2G

Does every Monroe crew operate that way? They might have employees who are not familiar enough with the new radios to use them properly. Or, there might be a company SOP that needs updating.

AlexC

Database Admin
It is likely a policy. Company radio stays on company channel, VHF radios that all ambulances are required to have for HEAR can jump from channel to channel allowing the company to always reach their crews on the 800 radio. If they jump to another channel on the Trunk the company probably doesn't want to rely on scan to "find" their crew again.

Makes good sense to me and saves them the cost of a second trunking radio.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Does every Monroe crew operate that way? They might have employees who are not familiar enough with the new radios to use them properly. Or, there might be a company SOP that needs updating.

It appears to be all of them, yes. Now I must admit that I don't listen to my scanner ALL the time, but I have never seen them come up on one of the other channels using their TRS radio, and I've seen them via the VHF patch numerous times.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Not much change ... but issues

Not much has changed on the system since the end of January. I think the last few straggler EMS units have moved to the new system, but most (or all) of the base stations are still on VHF, as is the dispatcher. Note that the dispatcher is rebroadcast ... if you listen to both systems there is about a 1 second delay between the VHF and TRS.

On the fire side, I've heard radio center testing tones with various agencies for the past week or so. They usually test from the TRS side and then immediately afterwards from VHF. Quite a few of the tests are failing.

And speaking of failing, I'm hearing quite a bit of evidence that there are some issues with the new radios not being heard, including complaints from both EMS units and the dispatcher. Perhaps it's no wonder I'm having problems listening!

elmer166

Feed Provider
I have also heard the funding for the fire side is gone. They did not act quick enough like EMS did and when the County administration changed the money went away. Will have to see how long it will take to get funding back for the Fire Depts. Hearing a lot of complaining about paying for radios and what kind of radios they are going to buy etc.

KD2NJO

Feed Provider
sounds like ems dispatch is now using digital voice on the 700/800 system now, not just patching the audio from the vhf side.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Ahhhh... Joys of poor planning, corruption, and... Harris.... Nuff said.

APX_Radio

Sounds like the move to the secret backup center happened today and ECD/OEC/EIEIO is using the Harris Consoles on the trunk.

Some of the TGs sounded okay this morning. Now, levels are all over the place, tones sound like crap, lots of people (dispatchers and field units) asking to repeat, lots of echoing (possibly from the patch to the VHF).

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Sounds like the move to the secret backup center happened today and ECD/OEC/EIEIO is using the Harris Consoles on the trunk.

Some of the TGs sounded okay this morning. Now, levels are all over the place, tones sound like crap, lots of people (dispatchers and field units) asking to repeat, lots of echoing (possibly from the patch to the VHF).
It's gonna be a long month!

I have a standing invite to go see the new backup facility. I might be able to do that this coming week.

AlexC

Database Admin
MC Has a number of backup facilities for different things. I'll warn that my knowledge is old and not current, but, I can't see much changing without significant cost.

Perinton Ambulance: Backup for EMS Dispatch
Gates FD: Backup for Fire Dispatch

I'm not sure off hand where the backup areas for agencies other than Fire/EMS. Neither of the above are 911 call centers. I can assume a couple of locations but I don't know how public they are and I'm not going to risk pointing them out here - even if my information is now a good 10 years old.

Alex

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
MC Has a number of backup facilities for different things. I'll warn that my knowledge is old and not current, but, I can't see much changing without significant cost.

Perinton Ambulance: Backup for EMS Dispatch
Gates FD: Backup for Fire Dispatch

I'm not sure off hand where the backup areas for agencies other than Fire/EMS. Neither of the above are 911 call centers. I can assume a couple of locations but I don't know how public they are and I'm not going to risk pointing them out here - even if my information is now a good 10 years old.

Alex

911 is in a new backup facility for a month while 321 under goes major renovations in primary and secondary ops.

Status
Not open for further replies.