TwoToneDetect New TwoToneDetect in the works - Python based

baileyLAX

Had bounces start coming in today, and after getting a bunch following the nightly tests this evening I called and spoke with Jake, a Verizon Technical Expert | WEHD Analyst. He was high level support enough to see their SMTP logs, and confirmed this will be an issue, with a recommendation to move to EMAG. He did confirm that there is a public safety fee waiver, but it must be done via a Verizon Business account.

As far as the new enforced limits: 10 recipients per message, 10 simultaneous SMTP sessions, and 10 messages per SMTP session.
He did start a ticket to try to whitelist the GMail account we're using to send, but said the ticket will likely be delayed to act on, and may be denied once it is acted on.

Jake fully recognized the "cool" factor of what we all are doing, ultimately this is an attempt by VZW to move businesses sending high volumes of mail through their system to subscribe (purchase) the EMAG service.

EMail from Jake to EMAG Rep:
""I have been working with a volunteer firefighter for a local agency, they have been using Vtext to send emergency service pages via SMTP protocol to the volunteer firefighters and EMS, today it appears that we blacklisted the originating email address due to the number of messages that were sent from the address, this is standard VZW procedure and business customer like this should be moved to EMAG. This is a unique situation and he would like you to reach out and see if this is possible. I have CC’d him to this email. Thanks""

So, not good news, but confimation that VZW is aware, it's intentional, and not going away without a change to our setups.

I am going to attempt to do EMAG if there's no fee, will keep y'all posted. Process won't even start until Monday.

Also, just thought of this, I have a number of departments on one instance of TTD for cell messaging, plus six other instances of TTD and one 5TD primarily posting to Twitter / Audioboom. Of those publishing, I have a few tones also sending to my cell. Even those only sending to 1 VZW (me), my email, and the BooMail mail, those are also bouncing. Only thought there, once the limit was exceeded, then all future are blocked by CloudFilter for some (unknown) period of time. All sent through GMail from TTD/5TD.

Last edited:

slingshot202

Feed Provider
Had bounces start coming in today, and after getting a bunch following the nightly tests this evening I called and spoke with Jake, a Verizon Technical Expert | WEHD Analyst. He was high level support enough to see their SMTP logs, and confirmed this will be an issue, with a recommendation to move to EMAG. He did confirm that there is a public safety fee waiver, but it must be done via a Verizon Business account.

As far as the new enforced limits: 10 recipients per message, 10 simultaneous SMTP sessions, and 10 messages per SMTP session.
He did start a ticket to try to whitelist the GMail account we're using to send, but said the ticket will likely be delayed to act on, and may be denied once it is acted on.

Jake fully recognized the "cool" factor of what we all are doing, ultimately this is an attempt by VZW to move businesses sending high volumes of mail through their system to subscribe (purchase) the EMAG service.

EMail from Jake to EMAG Rep:
""I have been working with a volunteer firefighter for a local agency, they have been using Vtext to send emergency service pages via SMTP protocol to the volunteer firefighters and EMS, today it appears that we blacklisted the originating email address due to the number of messages that were sent from the address, this is standard VZW procedure and business customer like this should be moved to EMAG. This is a unique situation and he would like you to reach out and see if this is possible. I have CC’d him to this email. Thanks""

So, not good news, but confimation that VZW is aware, it's intentional, and not going away without a change to our setups.

I am going to attempt to do EMAG if there's no fee, will keep y'all posted. Process won't even start until Monday.

Also, just thought of this, I have a number of departments on one instance of TTD for cell messaging, plus six other instances of TTD and one 5TD primarily posting to Twitter / Audioboom. Of those publishing, I have a few tones also sending to my cell. Even those only sending to 1 VZW (me), my email, and the BooMail mail, those are also bouncing. Only thought there, once the limit was exceeded, then all future are blocked by CloudFilter for some (unknown) period of time. All sent through GMail from TTD/5TD.

This is terrible news, I'd assume the paid places such as edispatches ,at be hit too, but they will probably easily go to EMAG and if associated cost drop on their client.

Few months ago I couldn't get messages to TMobile or Sprint on anything but gmail. Then it apparently started working.

I hope this doesn't happen, my Dept has enjoyed the alerts and it has helped many to stay in touch at work w/o the noise of the pager.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ffryan76

Feed Provider
While looking through my departments Iamresponding account I noticed there is a .biz address for "priority" texting for Verizon. I'm assuming this address will not work because it doesn't come from a email address designated by IAR to Verizon. Am I correct in thinking this?

KLH

Feed Provider
While looking through my departments Iamresponding account I noticed there is a .biz address for "priority" texting for Verizon. I'm assuming this address will not work because it doesn't come from a email address designated by IAR to Verizon. Am I correct in thinking this?

I tried using mynumber@vzemag.biz but I never received the text or a bounce email. It just disappeared.

northernsummit

Feed Provider

May I ask how you got ahold of Jake and if he gave you his last name? I'm going to reach out to some people tomorrow and if I can find Jake it may help. (I work for Verizon but am making no promises on any potential for success in figuring this out)

The limits you spoke of make little sense for me. My setup is watching two different tone sets and the only recipient is me alone. Today I've had 50/50 success sending myself the .mp3. Almost every other attempt is working, every other attempt is bouncing.

What really bugs me is despite all these blocks two separate spam texts have managed to get through.

There were all of six total events today so far on the system I monitor. I'm not getting anywhere near the limits you spoke of, so either they're being more aggressive than they realize or they're just not telling us the true logic behind the rejections.

I have every intention of telling them that I'm getting rejected for sending .mp3 files to myself from myself. The content of those .mp3's is irrelevant. They need to show a reason for why we can't send ourselves .mp3's for non-commercial purposes in my opinion.

ffryan76

Feed Provider
May I ask how you got ahold of Jake and if he gave you his last name? I'm going to reach out to some people tomorrow and if I can find Jake it may help. (I work for Verizon but am making no promises on any potential for success in figuring this out)

The limits you spoke of make little sense for me. My setup is watching two different tone sets and the only recipient is me alone. Today I've had 50/50 success sending myself the .mp3. Almost every other attempt is working, every other attempt is bouncing.

What really bugs me is despite all these blocks two separate spam texts have managed to get through.

There were all of six total events today so far on the system I monitor. I'm not getting anywhere near the limits you spoke of, so either they're being more aggressive than they realize or they're just not telling us the true logic behind the rejections.

I have every intention of telling them that I'm getting rejected for sending .mp3 files to myself from myself. The content of those .mp3's is irrelevant. They need to show a reason for why we can't send ourselves .mp3's for non-commercial purposes in my opinion.
I send mine AMR and have upwards of twenty people on one department that up until the first sent out with no issues. I've reached out to Verizon on two levels and waiting on a phone call. I'm hoping I can have a FREE solution for everyone soon. I have many media contacts that might help boost the interest in coming to a solution as well.

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
Hi Andy and Group,

I'm not able to get the redundant FTP feature working with my Dlink DNS-320 NAS drive. Here is what TTD is saying when running in Debug mode.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 244, in <module>
File "ftplib.py", line 471, in storbinary
error_perm: 553 Users may not upload files
could not clear redundant_tones.txt or redundant_TTD.txt on 192.168.1.60
Successfully retrieved local tone info at 21:44:06 on 12/04/16
Successfully retrieved local tone info at 21:44:06 on 12/04/16
Tone1
Tone2
Longtone1
Successfully retrieved local tone info at 21:44:07 on 12/04/16
Tone1
Tone2
Longtone1
checking redundant_TTD.txt on 192.168.1.60 at 21:44:07 on 12/04/16
cound not retrieve TTD tracking file from FTP server - exiting redunant check

And from my NAS drive:

Dec 4 21:44:04 FTP server: TTD[192.168.1.217] Logout
Dec 4 21:44:04 FTP server: TTD user logged in from 192.168.1.217
Dec 4 21:44:02 FTP server: TTD user logged in from 192.168.1.217
Dec 4 21:43:53 FTP server: TTD[192.168.1.217] Logout
Dec 4 21:43:12 FTP server: TTD[192.168.1.217] Logout
Dec 4 21:43:12 FTP server: TTD user logged in from 192.168.1.217

I have the FTP login linked to a specific share folder and it defaults to that folder when I log in via WINSCP. I can give you the login details via a PM if you wish? For the time being I'm using local mode.

ffryan76

Feed Provider
I send mine AMR and have upwards of twenty people on one department that up until the first sent out with no issues. I've reached out to Verizon on two levels and waiting on a phone call. I'm hoping I can have a FREE solution for everyone soon. I have many media contacts that might help boost the interest in coming to a solution as well.
Well. The first night of trying didn't go as well as I had imagined. One said you had to get the "EMS" enterprise messaging service (Which cost money. Blech) He sorta played dumb about the 10 message limit issue.

I tried to Facebook shame Verizon. That didn't work either. I just got a bunch of low level tech support saying I needed to reset my network settings on my phone. And couldn't get past that. Like some else said, maybe if enough of us call and complain something might happen.

baileyLAX

I called from a work phone, so I got routed to after hours weekend support, selecting urgent technical issues such as lost phone".

I PM'd you his full email. Good luck!

I called this morning to check in, no action yet on the ticket to whitelist, and that phone rep was unable to provide any further details, suggesting I wait for "normal" business hours to recontact.

baileyLAX

Like some else said, maybe if enough of us call and complain something might happen.

So... just noticed, my last bounce was at around 2 pm Sunday, I see multiple messages that did go through since then.

Multiple complaints may cause them to take some notice, I'm working on a one sheet for users to have when calling in (copy of bounce message, basic tech details how it works, etc.) to try to expedite restoration and mitigation of their alleged new rules.

Though again, I seem to have numerous pages for area depts to my handset functioning again, this afternoon and evening messages started moving again.

tecker

Premium Subscriber
I'm not able to get the redundant FTP feature working with my Dlink DNS-320 NAS drive. Here is what TTD is saying when running in Debug mode.

File "ftplib.py", line 471, in storbinary
error_perm: 553 Users may not upload files

I have the FTP login linked to a specific share folder and it defaults to that folder when I log in via WINSCP.
You wouldn't happen to have Secure Mode turn on in your Dlink would you? FTPLib is just plain, unencrypted FTP. Your use of WINSCP has me thinking SSL or FTPS. However it does seem to say that you logged in and the error is coming from the server itself.

3 Things to check:
1) Can you put anything there normally using winscp?
2) Can you log in with another client (eg. Filezilla)?
3) Are there any restrictions for filenames/size?

I am not sure what Andy uses for file names but https://kb.globalscape.com/KnowledgebaseArticle10303.aspx seems to indicate that the server is refusing the file and the error above "553 Users may not upload files" makes me think it is a permissions issue. Try those and lets see what happens.

EDIT:
Quick google search on that exact error indicates it may be firmware related: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=44084.0 Check your version and consider the firmware update that is listed. From that forumn (http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=65608.0) It appears that 2.05 B10 is the latest they have found. Consider checking into that.

Last edited:

KLH

Feed Provider
My last bounce email was at 8:52 PM EST on Sunday.
This morning, I've had 6 pages go out, and no bounce emails (yet anyway).
I do only have 6 people on VZW getting the alerts, so I'm below the so called 10 limit.

nick223

Feed Provider
Any idea on sprint. I switch the gateway from pm.strint to messaging.sprint. Now they are receiving the text header but no audio file attached?

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
Sorry my NAS is a DNS-320L. I upgraded the firmware today and I'm having the same issue. I have emailed Andy directly to see if he can sort it out. Connecting directly from WinSCP is working fine here at work and I dragged a few MP3 files over with no issues.

Here are my server settings.

You wouldn't happen to have Secure Mode turn on in your Dlink would you? FTPLib is just plain, unencrypted FTP. Your use of WINSCP has me thinking SSL or FTPS. However it does seem to say that you logged in and the error is coming from the server itself.

3 Things to check:
1) Can you put anything there normally using winscp?
2) Can you log in with another client (eg. Filezilla)?
3) Are there any restrictions for filenames/size?

I am not sure what Andy uses for file names but https://kb.globalscape.com/KnowledgebaseArticle10303.aspx seems to indicate that the server is refusing the file and the error above "553 Users may not upload files" makes me think it is a permissions issue. Try those and lets see what happens.

EDIT:
Quick google search on that exact error indicates it may be firmware related: FTP ISSUE : "553 Users may not upload files" Check your version and consider the firmware update that is listed. From that forumn (DNS-320 Rev A - Firmware v2.05 Build 10 Security Patch Comments & Observations) It appears that 2.05 B10 is the latest they have found. Consider checking into that.

Attachments

• FTP Server.JPG
    FTP Server.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 228

lakeeri7

Premium Subscriber
Two Tone Detect Help

Running V65. Have been running it for a year + with no issues. November 22 something happened and we can not get it to send the calls to our email. They are recording in Two Tone, saving the file but will not send to our email (gmail account). Anyone have any idea what this may be?

Thank you

rzq4x4

Verizon Issues

baileyLAX

Do you have the Verizon Wireless Contact info. All of our Verizon pages are getting bounced back and I don't have a Verizon phone (we are all AT&T) so Tech support will not let me get anywhere.

Thank you,

northernsummit

Feed Provider
baileyLAX

Do you have the Verizon Wireless Contact info. All of our Verizon pages are getting bounced back and I don't have a Verizon phone (we are all AT&T) so Tech support will not let me get anywhere.

My suggestion is that you get/work with someone you know who has a Verizon phone to call into technical support. It is the only way you're going to get the necessary level of treatment and get a complain in front of the right people. That person should do the following:

1. Call 800-922-0204 or #611 and choose technical support in the menus.

2. Tell technical support that you're emailing yournumber@vzwpix.com with a small audio attachment and it is bouncing back telling you that your sender is rejected. This is true and accurate and frankly all they should need to know.

Avoid elaborating on what TTD does or the content of the messages - that clouds the issue horrifically and gives them an out based on what you're doing, etc. They're going to need the from address and the times of the last reject or a bunch of them.

My initial technical support contact wanted me to do everything from sending the message to every other phone on my account to upgrading IOS on my phone - I wasn't having that because we all know what is going on here, CloudFilter is rejecting the email before it even gets to Verizon to pass on to a phone. I eventually asked politely that he just open up the ticket as I explain below and he did - with a lot of warnings that they may just close the ticket on me for not doing everything he asked. (They didn't, see below)

Note: if you can reproduce failure by sending an email to JUST a Verizon phone as I've been doing then it will help because they can't argue its the multiple recipients. They'll see a single email getting rejected. In fact, it may not be a bad idea to take a previously rejected .mp3 or .wav file and manually email it to a VZW phone and make it fail. Then, report THAT failure as your example.

3. Tell them your emails are being blocked by CloudFilter.com and ask them to open an Network Repair Bureau (NRB) ticket, offer to email them the bounce message (but remove the text that reveals what these are) because you read online this is a sudden chronic issue and others are having success with NRB routing the complaint properly -- just avoid referencing this discussion or what you're doing because there seems to be this desire to deny the ticket based on what we're doing with the content of these pages and that is irrelevant, the system should let you email yourself a small audio file, period.

4. Get ready to wait. NRB forwards your ticket and example times off to a different group who, I am hoping, will continue to get enough complaints to see this is an issue with the filtering engine logic.

With all of that said, I've not had a single rejection since Saturday and Sunday. I'm a single sender, single recipient setup so I think there is a sliding scale of some sort at play here.