DMR hopes for the PSR-800

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
Eric:
Thank you for the hard work of creating the tool. My PSR800 now thinks it is a WS1080 an I am hearing DMR. I am very happy. Thanks also to the person who sent me the dropbox link.

Please don't think I am ungrateful, but is anyone working on getting the Whistler NXDN upgrade to work on the PSR radios as well? I am a railfan.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Eric:
Thank you for the hard work of creating the tool. My PSR800 now thinks it is a WS1080 an I am hearing DMR. I am very happy. Thanks also to the person who sent me the dropbox link.

Please don't think I am ungrateful, but is anyone working on getting the Whistler NXDN upgrade to work on the PSR radios as well? I am a railfan.

Pretty sure the PSR-800 doesn't have enough memory for NXDN.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
As far as I know we don't even have someone working on getting updates past ver 3.8 to work let alone NXDN.

trp2525

...is anyone working on getting the Whistler NXDN upgrade to work on the PSR radios as well? I am a railfan.

A "genuine/real" Whistler WS1080 does not even have NXDN receive capability available from Whistler (due to lack of available memory as RR member sibbley posted above and as has been posted elsewhere on RR) so I believe it would be impractical to expect NXDN capability on a PSR-800.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Unfortunately, NXDN is a mode too far. The TRX series uses a bigger flash memory space, so even if the existing firmware could fit, the base, or starting, flash memory address is different. I feel that it is for the best as well, as it would cut into sales of a current product, and likely cause more problems. There are enough problems dealing with outdated firmware as it is, likely due to Whistler watching threads like this one. Imagine the fury if NXDN on the WS-1080 was possible.

I only consider this an interesting experiment and not really mainstream. Save up your pennies for a TRX-1. The TRX-1 is a better option, even when they added DMR to the WS-1080, as it is the path with future updates. The WS-1080/WS-1088 is pretty much at the end-of-life stage. At some point the non-NXDN changes to the TRX-1 will not be included on the WS-1080.

I was disappointed when Whistler did not fully pick up support of the PSR-800, but I understand that GRE went out of business, and it is not Whistler's product. They did not want to be responsible for support, although they did release a couple of critical bug fix firmware versions, and still host the Firmware/RRDB files on their servers. They could at some point say "Enough!", although the same RRDB files are downloaded by the various iScan and EZ Scan apps. That is one reason I find exploration of this scanner ecosystem interesting. Improvements were made over the years instead of a complete redesign for every new model.

The TRX series is likely the last Whistler scanners using the M16c hardware platform. A different processor family with be required after most of the flash is used up. They may go with the RX630, like Uniden. This would mean a different code base and possible changing of file formats.

73 Eric

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I released a new version of GREFwTool with a few fixes. It is version 0.2.0.3 and available via a link on the wiki page.
https://github.com/LinuxSheeple-E/GREFwTool/wiki

I eliminated the abort button on the firmware update progress dialog. It did not work and I could not find a method to abort anyway.

I added support for the Pro-107 and PSR-700. I was able to download the firmware, but I do not have these scanners to test firmware update. It should work. No transcode support due to flash size and lack of DSP.

I fixed the experimental transcode function so WS-1080 firmware, up to Version 4.5, will work properly in the PSR-800, PRO-668, and Pro-18.

73 Eric

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Tried it on the PSR-800, works great!

Afterwards, download the latest version of the Whistler EZ Scan programming software (v2.18); it allows the option of having the backlight come on whenever the squelch opens.

milcom_chaser

Hello,

Unfortunately, NXDN is a mode too far. The TRX series uses a bigger flash memory space, so even if the existing firmware could fit, the base, or starting, flash memory address is different. I feel that it is for the best as well, as it would cut into sales of a current product, and likely cause more problems. There are enough problems dealing with outdated firmware as it is, likely due to Whistler watching threads like this one. Imagine the fury if NXDN on the WS-1080 was possible.

I only consider this an interesting experiment and not really mainstream. Save up your pennies for a TRX-1. The TRX-1 is a better option, even when they added DMR to the WS-1080, as it is the path with future updates. The WS-1080/WS-1088 is pretty much at the end-of-life stage. At some point the non-NXDN changes to the TRX-1 will not be included on the WS-1080.

I was disappointed when Whistler did not fully pick up support of the PSR-800, but I understand that GRE went out of business, and it is not Whistler's product. They did not want to be responsible for support, although they did release a couple of critical bug fix firmware versions, and still host the Firmware/RRDB files on their servers. They could at some point say "Enough!", although the same RRDB files are downloaded by the various iScan and EZ Scan apps. That is one reason I find exploration of this scanner ecosystem interesting. Improvements were made over the years instead of a complete redesign for every new model.

The TRX series is likely the last Whistler scanners using the M16c hardware platform. A different processor family with be required after most of the flash is used up. They may go with the RX630, like Uniden. This would mean a different code base and possible changing of file formats.

73 Eric

Yes, perhaps the RX630 with 2MB of Flash space. Plenty of room to create a user defined bandplan that includes stepsize and mode (AM, FM, NFM) selection, rather than creating different bandplan templates. Uniden has this feature, and has for awhile...

Last edited:

trp2525

What will it do for the PRO-107 and PSR-700?

The tool will update the PRO-107 and the PSR-700 to their latest "official" firmware update version (if your scanner is not already at the latest version). For the PRO-107 that would be RU1.7 released on June 27, 2012 and for the PSR-700 that would be U1.7 dated January 9, 2012. If you have the appropriate iScan (Radio Shack PRO-107) or EZScan (GRE PSR-700) PC application software on your computer, you should be able to accomplish the same firmware update by using that program.

As has already been posted the PRO-107 and PSR-700 hardware is different from the PRO-18, PRO-668 and PSR-800, so the latest WS1080 CPU and DSP firmware will not run on those 2 models.

w5rah

I used the new version of the Eric's tool to download and install the 4.5 version of the CPU firmware. It seems to work just fine and I'm using it right now to listen to the local ham DMR repeater. Thanks again!

Nasby

The tool will update the PRO-107 and the PSR-700 to their latest "official" firmware update version (if your scanner is not already at the latest version). For the PRO-107 that would be RU1.7 released on June 27, 2012 and for the PSR-700 that would be U1.7 dated January 9, 2012. If you have the appropriate iScan (Radio Shack PRO-107) or EZScan (GRE PSR-700) PC application software on your computer, you should be able to accomplish the same firmware update by using that program.

As has already been posted the PRO-107 and PSR-700 hardware is different from the PRO-18, PRO-668 and PSR-800, so the latest WS1080 CPU and DSP firmware will not run on those 2 models.

Thanks!!!

trp2525

I need 3.8 Firmware,
anyone can help ?

Is there a particular reason that you want to use the WS1080 CPU firmware version 3.8 in your GRE PSR-800 instead of using the latest/newest WS1080 CPU firmware version 4.5? Does the older CPU firmware perform better in your monitoring area?

Status
Not open for further replies.