Town of Tuxedo dispatch / Orange County

Status
Not open for further replies.

dispatch1234

That is correct. The NYSP does not charge Towns for regular police services. Even with the agreement with the Town of Monroe owning the Monroe State Police Barracks does not guarantee a certain level of police services. I do not think that they have cars that are dedicated to the Town of Monroe, Since the Barracks is in the Town of Monroe, response times can be fairly quick, but during the overnight shifts, when the Troopers are riding as double units (as stated in their union contracts), there are half the amount of cars on the road. The Trooper cars from the Monroe Barracks cover from the Goshen/Middeltown line, out to the Village of Florida, plus all of Route 17 to the Harriman Tolls & all of Route 6 up to the traffic circle.

It is a very large area to cover and if a Trooper car makes a DWI arrest anywhere in the areas that they cover, that car is out of service for a pretty decent amount of time. Without the Town of Tuxedo paying the NYSP for a dedicated car, they are only going to get reactive police services and response times can be very extended. The Town of Tuxedo will never get the level of police services that their own police department can provide. The Town Board is leaving their residents out to dry and this is a very dangerous situation.
The Town Supervisor Mike Rost and the Town Board simply do not care. To them its all about money, money trumps every single other consideration. SP Monroe usually puts 2-3 cars on an overnight. Its easy to track them through the AVL system, they do not patrol Tuxedo ever on the overnight. Mike Rost can lie to the public at board meetings all he wants but the facts are the facts.

trauma74

As of August, Tuxedo PD will no longer have their own dispatchers. They will be dispatched by OC911.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Interested in knowing what frequency they will be using. Tuxedo does not have EDACS and all the agencies on VHF use MRD. It's my understanding that there is no MRD repeater on Southfield. So that leaves Schunnemunk and Mt Peter for coverage. Can't wait until the get out on portable and can't talk in.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ishmole

Premium Subscriber
A bit of historical information with all that is happening lately with Tuxedo PD dispatch. For years Tuxedo Town PD and Tuxedo Park PD both used Rockland County's police frequency 37.180. Ramapo PD even answered Tuxedos telephone after 3:00AM. I asked why they shared Rockland frequency and was told that they were closer to Rockland's agencies than the rest of Orange County, and they could not use 39.20 due to distance and geography from Goshen. When Rockland went MRD highband in the late 80's, Tuxedo shared Suffern & Sloatsburg's PD's frequency 154.770, It was only later on that they applied for their own narrowband highband frequency.
I guess the point I am making is that they have always been "short sticked" when it came to radio.
It is a shame what the department is going through now. Like an earlier poster said, the town is on the verge of great growth and police coverage should be growing also.
Maybe when Orange goes 700 mhz, Tuxedo will get their fair share of the resources.

Comspec333

Interested in knowing what frequency they will be using. Tuxedo does not have EDACS and all the agencies on VHF use MRD. It's my understanding that there is no MRD repeater on Southfield. So that leaves Schunnemunk and Mt Peter for coverage. Can't wait until the get out on portable and can't talk in.....

The County stood up an MRD station (which is simulcast using existing Tuxedo PD infrastructure), Fire, EMS page and Police Priority on Southfields tower.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Can you confirm that? I'm told there are four MTR2000s on the following frequencies at Southold....

155.4225 (Tuxedo PD)
159.135 (OC 911 Priority)
153.850 (OC EMS Response)
154.205 (OC Fire Paging)

I heard nothing about EMS Paging or MRD.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
OMG *153.860 not .850 This is what happens when my fat thumbs use Tapatalk.

Comspec333

Can you confirm that? I'm told there are four MTR2000s on the following frequencies at Southold....

155.4225 (Tuxedo PD)
159.135 (OC 911 Priority)
153.850 (OC EMS Response)
154.205 (OC Fire Paging)

I heard nothing about EMS Paging or MRD.

155.4225 was taken off the air, the infrastructure is being used for MRD. I don't know what they are using for a base station for EMS page, but its certainly there.

Mbk127k

I understand this post is old and figured to reopen it instead of making a new post. But a few weeks ago I kept hearing multiple times on different occasions Tuxedo Mobile 1 on the air and they kept overstepping the County paging out Tuxedo FD to the same call simultaneously. Did Tuxedo decide to go back with dispatchers?. I rarely hear Tuxedo Ambulance and Medic 31 being dispatched by Orange County.

Anybody have information on this?.

ms784

Feed Provider
I understand this post is old and figured to reopen it instead of making a new post. But a few weeks ago I kept hearing multiple times on different occasions Tuxedo Mobile 1 on the air and they kept overstepping the County paging out Tuxedo FD to the same call simultaneously. Did Tuxedo decide to go back with dispatchers?. I rarely hear Tuxedo Ambulance and Medic 31 being dispatched by Orange County.

Anybody have information on this?.

Negative on the Tuxedo dispatchers or Tuxedo Mobile 1. You were likely hearing both the OC911 fire dispatcher sounding Tuxedo FD and the OC911 ems dispatcher sounding Tuxedo EMS both at the same time, on the same frequency. I've heard this same thing myself. From what I understand this has something to do with the setup at the Southfields site and is being looked into by Tuxedo officials.

trauma74

There used to be the same problem when OC911 put EMS & Fire paging up on Schunnemunk years ago. Instead of having 2 transmitters, 1 for FD Paging & 1 for EMS Paging, they were using the same transmitter for both frequencies, so when the FD Dispatcher & the EMS Dispatcher paged out calls at the exact same time, the transmitter would get try to send both pages, which would cause the pagers to not receive the tones and for the message to come over garbled. My agency dealt with this for a pretty long time before it was corrected.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
And that is precisely the same issue up there now...history repeating itself. It's like deja vu all over again!

Instead of leasing two VHF base stations for separate Fire and EMS paging, the county decided it was more cost effective to instead lease a single base station to do both. I'm sure the rationale was something like "We'll be on the new system soon enough, so why waste money doing it the right way."

So now you have EMS pages going out over the Fire frequency, and vice versa, depending on which OC911 dispatcher keys up first when simultaneous pages go out. Wonderful.

And people wonder why so many OC agencies have a lack of faith in the county. :roll:

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
So what ever happened to all that grant money for the VHF Fire paging and EMS paging simulcast systems they received a few years ago ?

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Lack of faith....so I remember when MRD was only on Goshen and Beacon and we dispatching Blooming Grove and V/Chester. Chester would come in simplex 3/4 of the time on 155.850 because they couldn't hit the repeater on portable. I told the deputy commissioner back then that there was this big mountaintop with towers and antennas called Schunnemunk that would pretty much cover their town (BG) and village (VC). His response was "the wheels of government move slowly." I told him someone was going to get hurt. That took 10 years to come online. Yes, 10 years ! And before that their vendor sold BG on EDACS. The problem was back then the systems weren't linked. Split that up between three zones in BG...So you had a unit on Beacon, another on Arden and another on Sams Point and they couldn't talk to each other ! I guess nothing has changed.

KC2GSP

I think I'm missing something here with this comparison to Monroe. The Village of Monroe has a PD, Kiryas Joel is within the Town of Monroe and they operate their own non sworn civilian patrol, Harriman is partially in the Town of Monroe with their own PD. I'm not sure they are lacking similar law enforcement deficiency as Tuxedo. I can't speak for the residents there but it seems a large portion of Monroe is adequately covered once coupled with the SP response. You might not get a 5 - 7 min response time like most of the other towns get but it's not horrendous. Tuxedo on the other hand, on numerous occasions has no available units to respond down there at night especially if SP Monroe is on something heavy. I've heard them call Orange 911 to advise no units available and the next car was a Sheriff unit coming from at least Goshen.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I'd like to personally thank the town board. A sheriffs car coming out of Goshen to a 911 call....you can cross that off the places I'd like to live list.

KC2zZe

I think I'm missing something here with this comparison to Monroe.

I'm not sure they are lacking similar law enforcement deficiency as Tuxedo.

I can't speak for the residents there but it seems a large portion of Monroe is adequately covered once coupled with the SP response.

You might not get a 5 - 7 min response time like most of the other towns get but it's not horrendous.
The portion of the Town of Monroe that's being referenced to here is not the Village of Monroe, Village of Harriman, or Village of Kiryas Joel (or it's surrounding "North" Monroe areas). It's the unincorporated portion commonly referred to as Lakeside. When an SP coverage issue exists in Tuxedo, then it will likely exist in unincorporated Monroe as well. Yes, your "not horrendous" response time of seven minutes is improved on your heavier jobs in Lakeside, but that would be thanks to the generosity of the Town Of Chester's taxpayers when their PD units get directed by Orange 9-1-1 over the town line to hold down a scene for SP until they get there. That only happens because Orange 9-1-1 is the Town of Chester PD's primary dispatcher. Who can Orange 9-1-1 send over which town / county / parkland line for jobs in Tuxedo?

I've often wondered why the Town of Monroe and the Village of Monroe can't come to some sort of an agreement in terms of police coverage of that piece of the Town.

And don't get me started on the Sheriff's Department...

Last edited:

sc800

Sheriff's coming from Goshen to Tuxedo is bad. Sometimes SP isn't much better though. Last year it took over an hour for a trooper to go from Monroe to Florida for disorderly people damaging a store. Of course 911 sent the call directly to SP per their protocols, but that meant that the Warwick officer two miles away, and the Goshen officer around the same distance away knew nothing about what was going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.