Amplified speaker mic / lapel speaker for scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfgroup

Premium Subscriber
Scanner comparable ?

The Valor mic looks interesting for a number of projects. Which connector would you order to use on for a GRE PSR-500 to use simply as a amplified speaker? Are the cables/connectors easily changeable in the field if you wanted to change over to use with a cellphone? Thanking you in advance.

jim202

The Valor mic looks interesting for a number of projects. Which connector would you order to use on for a GRE PSR-500 to use simply as a amplified speaker? Are the cables/connectors easily changeable in the field if you wanted to change over to use with a cellphone? Thanking you in advance.

There are some companies that make speaker mics with a connector on them that allows for cable replacements. The down side to this is that this connector can become a source of a poor connection with use.

As for the replaceable radio end connector, your out of luck there. It means buying a whole new cable to interface to a different radio.

minh6710

I cannot stand earbuds for some reason. I do foot patrol and love to listen to my BCD396XT. Bought regular non amplified lapel speaker and could hardly hear it at max volume. So I too took the plunge and bought a black one. WOW does this lapel speaker have volume. Had to turn down the scanner to a 5 with this speaker and the audio quality is fantastic. So in my opinion and for my application it is PERFECT.

I'm so pleased that it's working out well for you. I don't like the idea of earbuds in my ears for any length of time; they quickly get uncomfortable. The non-amplified lapel speakers are worthless. The VALOR speaker blows away anything out there and has outstanding loudness and audio quality. I'm glad it is working great for your purposes.

Nozzleman71

Premium Subscriber
Just found this thread and glad I did. I photograph fire scenes and have been looking for a good speaker mic. Like others have stated I have used those off scanner master and they just weren't loud enough , I even tried to rebuild a Motorola public safety mic with a 3.5 mm plug to no success and had resorted to the ear buds. I have seen a video of a similar type mic on you tube and I'm guessing I will be deciding between the two. Here is a Link to the other one. on YouTube .
https://youtu.be/6A27pAqS8K8

Thanks again

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Looks to be a very good lapel mike, if you could give out the Make , model and how it can be ordered with price...Does it use a battery for support...TY for any info provided your video is very appreciated....

minh6710

Just found this thread and glad I did. I photograph fire scenes and have been looking for a good speaker mic. Like others have stated I have used those off scanner master and they just weren't loud enough , I even tried to rebuild a Motorola public safety mic with a 3.5 mm plug to no success and had resorted to the ear buds. I have seen a video of a similar type mic on you tube and I'm guessing I will be deciding between the two. Here is a Link to the other one. on YouTube .

Thanks again

You're welcome! Thanks for sharing the link on the other mic. I have never heard of that make or model before. I watched the video several times, the last time in a quiet environment. It did sound loud and a little overloaded / muffled / distorted in the video. I have the same model scanner featured in the video and with my VALOR mic it is not overloaded sounding at volume 7, which the reviewer tested his mic at. The biggest advantage it has is the price, at less than half that of the VALOR. It also has a power on / off button which is nice addition indeed. I wish mine had a power switch. Hard to tell the build quality of the Radio-Tone mic. It doesn't seem to have a user replaceable / swappable battery like the VALOR does. So if and when the battery finally deteriorates, it may have to be sent in to be replaced. I've had my VALOR mic for over a year now and it's still going strong. I use it all the time. If you get the Radio-Tone please let us know how it works out for you.

I've read your post about converting an old Motorola JEDI style PSM into a lapel speaker for a scanner listen only device some time back and I considered doing the same thing. However I was concerned about the loudness (or lack of) and did additional research before I found and settled on my mic. Interesting experiment you did there though.

Last edited:

minh6710

Thanks again

You're welcome! Thanks for sharing the link on the other mic. I have never heard of that make or model before. I watched the video several times, the last time in a quiet environment. It did sound loud and a little overloaded / muffled / distorted in the video. I have the same model scanner featured in the video and with my VALOR mic it is not overloaded sounding at volume 7, which the reviewer tested his mic at. The biggest advantage it has is the price, at less than half that of the VALOR. It also has a power on / off button which is nice addition indeed. I wish mine had a power switch. Hard to tell the build quality of the Radio-Tone mic. It doesn't seem to have a user replaceable / swappable battery like the VALOR does. So if and when the battery finally deteriorates, it may have to be sent in to be replaced. I've had my VALOR mic for over a year now and it's still going strong. I use it all the time. If you get the Radio-Tone please let us know how it works out for you.

I've read your post about converting an old Motorola JEDI style PSM into a lapel speaker for a scanner listen only device some time back and I considered doing the same thing. However I was concerned about the loudness (or lack of) and did additional research before I found and settled on my mic. Interesting experiment you did there though.

Last edited:

Nozzleman71

Premium Subscriber
The moto mic works ok and I use it in a radio shack pro 96 and I use the bread tie trick. I just can't take a chance of messing up the 436 by doing that.

minh6710

I agree, I wasn't willing to take the chance of messing up my 436 by shorting out the jack and antenna ground with the bread tie trick. The VALOR mic works beautifully and is more than loud enough at a noisy scene. I've used mine in very noisy environments. I actually rarely use my scanner without the mic attached. Let us know which mic you decide on.

minh6710

Looks to be a very good lapel mike, if you could give out the Make , model and how it can be ordered with price...Does it use a battery for support...TY for any info provided your video is very appreciated....

Look in the video description. There are links to purchase the Radio-Tone mic in there.

minh6710

Minh6710. What kind on antenna are you running on your 436?

It is a Laird EXC 806 SM antenna. I have both the 4 inch version (as shown) and a gain 8 inch. In a major metropolitan area the 4 inch stubby seems to do better as opposed to the longer gain antenna. The 8 inch antenna shines on pulling in distant stations in rural areas but is more prone to interference in the city. The 8 inch is the Laird EXE 806 SM. It is comparable to the Radio Shack 800 BNC. I bought the stubby Laird from Antenna Farm for $16.95 but it appears that their web site is down. Scanner Master sells it under their name for substantially more:

800 MHz Low Profile 1/4 Wave Portable SMA Antenna | Scanner Master

Here is another link. I have not ordered from these people so I can't vouch for them but it is exactly the same antenna I have.

Laird Tech EXC-806-SM

Nozzleman71

Premium Subscriber
It is a Laird EXC 806 SM antenna. I have both the 4 inch version (as shown) and a gain 8 inch. In a major metropolitan area the 4 inch stubby seems to do better as opposed to the longer gain antenna. The 8 inch antenna shines on pulling in distant stations in rural areas but is more prone to interference in the city. The 8 inch is the Laird EXE 806 SM. It is comparable to the Radio Shack 800 BNC. I bought the stubby Laird from Antenna Farm for $16.95 but it appears that their web site is down. Scanner Master sells it under their name for substantially more:

800 MHz Low Profile 1/4 Wave Portable SMA Antenna | Scanner Master

Here is another link. I have not ordered from these people so I can't vouch for them but it is exactly the same antenna I have.

Laird Tech EXC-806-SM

Thanks

Nozzleman71

Premium Subscriber
I went with the Valor mic. I am very pleased now I just need to get me some spare batteries. Thanks again for the info on the valor mic.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
General info, I got a notice from "Scanner Master in MA that they now stock the Valor lapel mike for $120.00 but it only works on Uniden scanners not GRE/RS Whister.....

blackbelter

Just received my Valor shoulder speaker. The sound and quality of this unit is amazing.
I need not to click the audio setting of my 436 HP past the 3 or 4 with the Valor attached as the sound of the radio traffic becomes more professional and Motorola like..
This speaker truly complete my listening experience.
BTW I purchased the Valor from Scanner Master for $129.99 and its worth every dollar.
Bravo Klien Electronics.

Last edited:

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Do you get the charging cable and if so does it have to be plugged into your computer ? TY

blackbelter

Yes you will receive the charging cable with this amazing item in the box and it is an AC charging cable

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
Tested on PSR-800--works great!

General info, I got a notice from "Scanner Master in MA that they now stock the Valor lapel mike for $120.00 but it only works on Uniden scanners not GRE/RS Whister.....

RJ-

Not certain why they mention that the Valor only works on Uniden scanners...

Based on this thread, I bought one for my 436. Of course, eventually I couldn't help but plug it into my other handhelds. It works great on my PSR-800. Going to test it on my PSR-500 this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.