*Radio Shack Store Closing Thread* All posts about Radio Shack closing go here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
I just noticed when I went to the store locator page it shows which stores are closing in my area.

Yep, tons of em around me. That post with the giant ComicSans font is inaccurate.

Inventory Clearance Sale on Now
This RadioShack store is Closing.
The Sprint Store at this location will remain open

quarterwave

Locally, our store has really gone down hill. I mean it is clean and well organized, but that's easy when you don't carry 1/10th of what you used to in the same space. I worked in that store in college about 27 years ago...glory days...loved it even though it was retail. I liked solving problems with stuff for people.

Now, they have one person working most of the time, they don't pay well, so they get basically slackers and gamers as employees, and honestly, they don't know much beyond how to run the POS. The last guy that had been there a while and I knew and liked, he left for a better job (good for him).

The store manager now "manages" 3 or 4 stores. I remember as a kid and young teen being very excited for October, because Dad would stop by the store in town and get me a new catalog.

The local store is so close to a Sprint store they don't even sell phones besides Virgin Mobile there, so they don't even have that going for them. It's been hard to watch, but I guess it's evolution.

On a side note, when they remodeled the store in about 1993, they took down the old sign on the front (the thick plastic inserts), and I got it. It's still in my parents barn. It's about 20 feet long and 4 feet tall in two heavy pieces. It has the old letters and the added on "Plus Computer Center" on one end. Cool old piece, I would like to get it out of the barn though....no one seems interested. I thought it would make a nice sign to build a wood frame for and some lights behind it and use in a workshop.

jbix1958

Premium Subscriber
I gave up on them after the first bankruptcy. They turned into a cellphone store. I would go in looking for electronic parts for my ham radio and I was met with blank stares. Increasingly I was told "umm.....let me look that up cause I'm not sure what that is..." Long gone are the days of trained salespeople or ones who had an electronics background. Now all they can tell you are the features of calling plans.

Sad.

mmaxon

Here too, I use to enjoy going in asking one of the young so call experts for a pl259 and they had no idea what it was, but was sure they could order me one.

K4APR

I worked for the Shack in 1999. I was 17 and one of these so-called dumbass kids. The difference was, I grew up with a soldering iron in my hand and not only knew what a PL259 was, I could put one on better than 75% of the hams in the area that were four times my age. Eventually my store got a reputation for having the "radio kid" and all of the amateur radio and scanner sales came to me. I made decent commission on those sales back then. Programming scanners under the table for cash was also a money make for me. Sell a $400 scanner and then make $50 cash to program it (usually by hand in those days). I always had money in my pocket as a high school senior.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
RadioShack built it's business on being an electronics convenience store. Closing hundreds of stores removes their primary reason for existence.

marksmith

RadioShack built it's business on being an electronics convenience store. Closing hundreds of stores removes their primary reason for existence.
Not carrying electronics of convenience and Radio Shack specific items starting 15 or so years ago removed their primary reason for existing.

When their primary reason to exist became selling phones (which you could get anywhere) it was destined to be over.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

JASII

Memory Capacity
"Radio Shack Store Closing Thread* All Posts About Radio Shack Closing Go Here

I was at my local Mills Fleet Farm store this past Saturday. I just happened to notice Radio Shack branded batteries on display there. I don't recall seeing Radio Shack branded merchandise for sale at other stores in the past.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I was at my local Mills Fleet Farm store this past Saturday. I just happened to notice Radio Shack branded batteries on display there. I don't recall seeing Radio Shack branded merchandise for sale at other stores in the past.

Probably bought them at someone's "Going Out Of Business" sale.

DocBrown

Premium Subscriber
I worked for the Shack in 1999. I was 17 and one of these so-called dumbass kids. The difference was, I grew up with a soldering iron in my hand and not only knew what a PL259 was, I could put one on better than 75% of the hams in the area that were four times my age. Eventually my store got a reputation for having the "radio kid" and all of the amateur radio and scanner sales came to me. I made decent commission on those sales back then. Programming scanners under the table for cash was also a money make for me. Sell a $400 scanner and then make $50 cash to program it (usually by hand in those days). I always had money in my pocket as a high school senior.

I'm right there with you. Radio Shack was actually my first job in the late 90's. I remember sitting the the back room of the store reading and taking tests on all of the required subjects. Most of which was easy for someone with an electronics background. I also did a lot of scanner programming and vehicle installations of HAM & CB radios & scanners. We also developed the reputation of having the radio kid. It probably helped that I was also a volunteer firefighter within the county so a lot of our regular customers only showed up on days that I worked just because they knew they would only get what they needed and not have a bunch of random batteries added to their ticket. Funny thing is I just read an article saying that Radio Shack got a bailout credit of about 75 million in 2015. I distinctively remember our store alone having sales upwards of 1.5 million in 1999-2000. The last time I was in a company store was probably right around that bailout they received and I was not impressed. I am fortunate to now live in a very small town which has a franchise owned store that's part of a TV & Appliance repair shop. That little mom and pop store has more in it then the all of the company owned stores in the surrounding counties combined.

Tired_Yeti

I've seen Radio Shack brand merchandise at Ace Hardware stores. There are still a few Radio Shack stores around here too. I know of one in the mall close by and a couple brick 'n' mortar store fronts.
FYI, I'm in the Houston, Texas area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bob550

Premium Subscriber
THis one does a real good job about the situation and indeed mention Sprint taking many over.
https://consumerist.com/2017/03/15/...lips-confusion-questionable-clearance-prices/

As a long-time employee, I can tell you that everything this article conveys is accurate. I think it was always a matter of when, and not if, RadioShack would file for bankruptcy again. I can't believe they made it two years past the previous bankruptcy! The way the company was run, I'd have thought our senior management team was composed of three guys named Moe, Larry, and Curly.

com501

As a long-time employee, I can tell you that everything this article conveys is accurate. I think it was always a matter of when, and not if, RadioShack would file for bankruptcy again. I can't believe they made it two years past the previous bankruptcy! The way the company was run, I'd have thought our senior management team was composed of three guys named Moe, Larry, and Curly.

It is worse than that. Moe, Larry and Curly, (and Shep too!) could act.

lucky43113

I knew ours was done about 6months before they went out I went in and asked for 50 ft of cable tv coax the guy says I don't think we sell what did you call it coax I said yes and you do sell it he was standing next to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.