upgrading databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

KidClerk

Feed Provider
I've scrolled through the boards and have yet to see an easy explanation of what the SAFE-T upgrades mean for various scanners. I have several different models and was hoping someone could post the easy explanation as to what needs done once the system gets upgraded. Benton and Warren/Fountain are undergoing the transformation tonight, so I'm guessing I need to do something tomorrow so I can continue monitoring, but I'm not sure what. Is it just changing the system type from something to something else?

Here are the scanners I own. Feel free to add others with the explanation if anyone cares to help!

996P2

996T

396XT

Pro651

Pro197

Thank you!
Kyle

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
It means the following: You must be able to do P25 Phase I on your scanner. You must have the system programmed as an P25 system, NOT an Motorola II. You must also make sure you have the new control chans programmed in, and new TGS.... Also, in just a couple of years, P25 Phase II begins use.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Kyle, from a scanner standpoint, the SAFE-T P25 system needs to be programmed into your scanner as a P25 system (not Motorola Type 2), the control channels need to be programmed because they are most likely different with the new system, and the talkgroups need to be programmed because they are all different with the new system.

The easiest answer for your Uniden scanners is find a program that can download the databases from RadioReference (since you are a Premium Subscriber) and load frequencies into the scanner. I use ProScan, which is a paid program, but I've heard good things about FreeScan.

The slightly more difficult approach on your Uniden scanners, which are all "DMA" scanners and program the same way, is to create a system, define it as a P25 system, and enter the control channel frequencies for the tower closest to you. In Search mode, the scanner should decode the control channel and stop on every busy talkgroup. Even more difficult is to set up groups in that system with your selection of talkgroups using the TG number published in the database. This is a PITA, but it's doable.

Using programming software is much easier.

I can't help you with your RadioShack scanners.

KidClerk

Feed Provider
Thank you. I actually use Freescan and have for years. I just wasn't sure if it was as easy as changing the dropdown box to the new system and then uploading to the scanner or not. With the CC and TG changes, I understand now it's not that easy. I also surmise that I need to know which towers were converted last night and only change them, and keep the others the same until they are converted, like Monon and Morocco.

Thanks again.

KDC

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Unless you desperately need to have a working scanner today, I'd wait. In fact, I'd wait a week until things shake out. That may not be an option for you, but it's something to consider.

What you might do is do what IPSC has suggested everyone do with their transceivers--program both the new and old systems and understand how to switch back and forth between them. That way, you'll have a scanner that works now and hopefully works in the future.

wingmaker

Thank you. I actually use Freescan and have for years. I just wasn't sure if it was as easy as changing the dropdown box to the new system and then uploading to the scanner or not. With the CC and TG changes, I understand now it's not that easy. I also surmise that I need to know which towers were converted last night and only change them, and keep the others the same until they are converted, like Monon and Morocco.

Thanks again.

KDC

Hello all I was aka wingmakers in this forum but lost pass and changed emails! Anyways I'm glad to b back! Just to let u know morning and Morocco changed to p25 last night also. Morocco is same cc monon is not 853.8625 anymore it's 859.9625 as in the database. Also from wat I see monon, Morocco, wanatah, valpo, lake co. Sim. Al changed last night.

wingmaker

Hell ya I understand but It wasn't possible or that wud been my first choice. Sorry for inconvenience. In my post I put morning it was meant to b monon. Hope u got ur stuff figured out kidclerk.

KidClerk

Feed Provider
That would explain why it was so quiet in my den this morning. :) So glad our 911 center notified us of this....not.

Hello all I was aka wingmakers in this forum but lost pass and changed emails! Anyways I'm glad to b back! Just to let u know morning and Morocco changed to p25 last night also. Morocco is same cc monon is not 853.8625 anymore it's 859.9625 as in the database. Also from wat I see monon, Morocco, wanatah, valpo, lake co. Sim. Al changed last night.

KidClerk

Feed Provider
Yep...All scanners seem to be working on the new system properly. Thanks for all the help.

Hell ya I understand but It wasn't possible or that wud been my first choice. Sorry for inconvenience. In my post I put morning it was meant to b monon. Hope u got ur stuff figured out kidclerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.