Donations will now be subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacombMonitor

blantonl said:
Except of course, I'm not making billions in profit, and I'm not gouging you either... :cool: :cool: :cool:

True, true! When you think about it, the new Uniden's could be considered Frequency Hogs, or Data Guzzlers!

Max Morell

What's all the fuss about?
I have no problem spending $500.00 for a scanner, so $30.00 is a steal for the amount of data I get off the site on a regular basis.
Sign me up Lindsay, and stick by your guns!

kikito

Premium Subscriber
W8OSP said:
Well if 10,000 peps of the 77,000 join and pay the 30 a yr, thats 300,000 a year. Looks like lindsay just changed jobs.

Hmmm my donation icon is gone also?? i know ive payed some this past year??

I'll bet (or guess) that barely half of the 10,000 will actually pay. And after taxes and paying for all the costs of running the website, it might not be as much as it looks like, at least it might not be enough to make a living solely on that.

But it would actually be interesting to find out how many people will actually end up paying on a regular basis....

MacombMonitor

n4voxgill said:
I think that is a very personal question and none of our business.

Yes it was, and he didn't have to answer it if he didn't want to, so he didn't. No members were harmed in the posting of the question! :)

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
I think with the way the Canadian Loonie is right now against the American Greenback, I think we're getting more bang now than ever. Take advantage of it now fellow Canucks, because next year that $30 U.S. (approx. $33 CAD) might cost more.

I'm a small donator. With not alot of contributions to the db but I still contribute when I can.

Even though I don't really use all the services of a paid member, I think it's not too bad. I'll probably pitch in on a few more dollars in the next few months then worry about what I owe next year for these great services.

Lindsay, you run one helluva website. Keep up the great work. Looking forward to seeing more things added to RR in the future.

Radio1114

DaveH sorry if I sounded a bit sarcastic.I have had a bad week.I well tri an lern how too spill ok : )

kgasso

Feed Provider
Sorry if this has already been covered, but I'm stuck on a dialup right now and am having issues loading a few pages.

I love the site but just don't use it enough to warrant a full subscription. However, I've donated in the past when I could afford it and would love to continue to do so.

I'm assuming the option will remain to donate whatever amount I want via PayPal to help out?

-Kameron

y10kiscoming

Premium Subscriber
I've read through this thread and I do not believe it has been suggested yet... but what about a multi-tiered subscription system? Or a customizable subscription system? This would solve issues of people not wanting to pay $30/year. Basically, pay for what you want (instead of all-or-nothing). To me, this seems like the most logical approach from both Lindsay's and the contributing users' perspectives, and maximizes the rewards (payments and features respectively) for both parties.

(*example only*)
Features: PDF reports, recent FCC data, home watch page, web data access, etc, etc
Level 1 - 3 features, $10
Level 2 - 5 features, $15
Level 3 - 7 features, $20
Level 4 - 10 features, $25
etc...

Just my $0.01 (damn taxes!)

-Mark

CSL126

I dont contribute very much to this site, but $30 sounds fine to me. I really dont see how you guys can get so upset over this. If you really have trouble paying $30 for something then maybe you should try to find a REAL job. Hell, i'm an 18 year old guy making $7 an hour and I could still afford that...

amusement

blantonl said:
Amusement, we'll let the members decide whether or not you get your donation back.

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37157

If the members decide that you should get your refund, it will be minus Paypal fees.

Lindsay,

Your attempt to elude responsibility is irrevelant to the situation. Making a "coliseum event" out of my refund request is absurb for a business. I am shocked and dismayed by your attempt to make use this situation as enterainment for the masses.

Further, your attempts to humilate me, in the forums is futile. Just 12 hours ago, we existed in harmony. Creating policies that generate this type of confrontation provides an opprotunity for further critisism from guests and members.

Finally, you lost before your stated by not engaging the community before your spontaneous policies emerged. I find the irony that you know choose to engage the community after you made your policy.

wesm1957

Premium Subscriber
kikito said:
I'll bet (or guess) that barely half of the 10,000 will actually pay. And after taxes and paying for all the costs of running the website, it might not be as much as it looks like, at least it might not be enough to make a living solely on that.

But it would actually be interesting to find out how many people will actually end up paying on a regular basis....

This all brings back memories when I lived in Northeast Ohio and was on a local bulliten board system a guy ran from his basement. It wasn't much, not like AOL, but it was inexpensive and fun. It cost $5.00 a month and had unlimited access, just not to the internet. There was a guy that wrote programs for games that we played inline. And it was all DOS based. Yes it was a business, he had to pay business rates for 14 phone lines, pay for the electric to operate the equipment and, yes paid for the equipment. He also had a family and a full time job. There were some of us that had a lifetime membership, because we gave up time from our families to help set up and run the board. Anyone that logged on got a 30 day trail period to see if they liked it. The owner and his wife would run a contest on a few of the games at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. They would go for 30 days and the top score got a turkey, or ham,(their choice) and at Easter a hand made Easter basket. And as they say all good things must come to an end, people started complaining about the cost and why the games didn't work correctly.(I can say that was because users with call waiting would not turn it off while online playing games. When they got a call and got knocked off line it would disable the game and the computer the game was loaded on. Oh yes they were warned well in advance to turn off call waiting for certine games.) The owner got tired of all the complaining and shut it down. I was very dissapointed when that happened. I have talked to him a few times when I visit family and he said it was the best thing he did by shutting it down and selling everything. He said a lot of the people wanted something for nothing. I see some of that here! I have donated and will pay for a membership a year at a time.

Lindasy, you do a fantastic job!!!!! Also everyone else that comtributes and helps does the same! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!!!!

Something for some to think about-----you have to pay your phone bill to use your phone, and the electric bill to keep the lights on. I don't think a lot realize how much out of pocket expenses Lindsay has running and keeping this sight going

just my 2 cents worth

Wes

mancow

Database Admin
It's Lindsay's site.

If he wants $30 for it then that's all there is to it. If he wants $30,000 he has that right as well. There's not much to argue about.

I think $30 is fair.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
wesm1957 said:
This all brings back memories when I lived in Northeast Ohio and was on a local bulliten board system a guy ran from his basement......<snip>

Wes

That's a good post/anecdote and since you quoted one of mine in your reply, I want to clarify that mine is in agreement with yours, just in case..... ;)

I can even relate to what you said because at one time (many moons ago) I used to run a BBS with my dad too.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
Well, here's my opinion, for what it's worth (not a heckuva lot, honestly).

It's Lindsay's site. If he wants to charge for access to databases, charge for forums, charge for fancy titles or censor your posts, anything goes. You're in his house, you play by his rules.

I'm a donating member not because I wanted the special features, but because I appreciate the site very much, and believe the concept is fantastic: A central repository for scanner information for all of the United States. I've published scanner frequency books, and know how hard it is to find information, especially in small towns. The internet can bring the enthusiasts together to share information, which is much easier than working alone.

One of the things I did when I published guides was to offer them at a reduced rate or even for free to people who contributed quality information. Sure, I had people who would submit garbage just to try to scam a free guide out of me, but I also had people that were really committed to having accurate and complete information, and shared it with me.

When I look at a username on this site and it says "Donating Member" it really means nothing to me. I don't think they're any better or worse than anyone else, as anyone can pay a few bucks to get the badge. I would very much like to see a badge that says "Contributing Member." Something to signify people who are making active contributions to the database.

There are many sections of the database that are woefully incomplete, especially in rural areas. I've submitted probably 50+ entries for my local area, something that I'd value much more than the money I've donated.

Data submissions won't pay the bills, but without useful database content, the site extras are of limited value.

I don't tend to pay for things I don't use (my wife might disagree, but leave her out of this ;) ), so if I use that logic, I won't be a subscriber. I'm a donor now because the site is donation based, and that fact makes me more willing to pony up. When things become subscription based, I'm more likely to evaluate what the subscription will buy me, and if it's not something I need, then I don't subscribe.

Just something to think about. I totally understand Lindsay's position on this, and have been there (on a much smaller scale) myself. It's tough when something that's supposed to be "just a hobby" starts consuming this much time and money.

Last edited:

funcritter

I liked the previous idea better. This one is too expensive and I doubt it I will donate anything further now.

ShawnCowden

30 dollars for how long and then a raise ???? I do agree with Lindsey on this. I just wish it was either 15.00 or 25.00 a year insted of 30. I dont agree with a raise over 30 for a loooooooooong time or never though. Note: I will keep supporting this site with my money because this isw my main hobby and my fav site. Thanks Lindsey and please consider my statement thanks

Last edited:

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I know I am risking a ban by agreeing, but I don't like the way The President (if this is a business) has acted. The thing about raising the donations, then doubleing that to a "membership" just seems like something that is not well thought out...........

His attitude has also left a sour taste in my mouth (thank god this is not hamsexy :D )

amusement said:
Lindsay,

Your attempt to elude responsibility is irrevelant to the situation. Making a "coliseum event" out of my refund request is absurb for a business. I am shocked and dismayed by your attempt to make use this situation as enterainment for the masses.

Further, your attempts to humilate me, in the forums is futile. Just 12 hours ago, we existed in harmony. Creating policies that generate this type of confrontation provides an opprotunity for further critisism from guests and members.

Finally, you lost before your stated by not engaging the community before your spontaneous policies emerged. I find the irony that you know choose to engage the community after you made your policy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.