Funny/Odd things heard on the scanner

USAPatriot

Does anyone think it's strange that it seem all cops/FD's/EMT's are either named "unit" or "rog"? Odd....VERY odd.

Radio_Lady

USAPatriot said:
Does anyone think it's strange that it seem all cops/FD's/EMT's are either named "unit" or "rog"? Odd....VERY odd.
"Unit" seems as appropriate as any other word I can think of off hand. Merriam-Webster has one set of definitions of "unit" as

"3 a : a single thing, person, or group that is a constituent of a whole b : a part of a military establishment that has a prescribed organization (as of personnel and materiel) c : a piece or complex of apparatus serving to perform one particular function. http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/unit. Not particularly odd to my admittedly-narrow way of thinking. Every field of endeavor tends to have its own jargon and particular manners of speaking.

What's "rog"? As in "Roger"? AFAIK that's not very common except in parts of California (LAPD & LAFD in particular) and in aircraft comms worldwide.

Last edited:

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Radio_Lady said:
What's "rog"? As in "Roger"? AFAIK that's not very common except in parts of California (LAPD & LAFD in particular) and in aircraft comms worldwide.
All the LEAs in Humboldt County CA also use "Roger" and have dumped virtually all 9- 10- and 11-codes. Except CHP, of course. Listening to Eureka PD you'd swear they use LAPD's Communications Manual. Turns out they had a chief there a couple decades ago called Shipley who was a big "Adam-12" fan, and the story is that he liked the show so much he had EPD's communications procedures rewritten to emulate LAPD's (600 miles away). Now everybody around here says "Roger."

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
ROGER and UNIT

Being former LAPD, military, and CAP, "Roger" and "Unit" sounds perfectly natural to me.

"ROGER" comes from "ROGER, WILCO."

ROGER comes from the old radio telephone operator phonetic code: "Able," "Baker," Charlie"..."Roger." The letter "R" from the earliest days of morse code was used to indicate "Recieved OK." So "ROGER," the old RTO phonetic for "R" had been adopted as the word to use for "OK," "Message Received OK," or "Message Understood" in landline and radio telecommunications.

WILCO means will comply.

LAPD uses the term "ROGER" to mean both ROGER and WILCO. "Rog" (rymes with Dodge and lodge) is just a cool way to say "ROGER," I guess. Normally, you won't hear LAPD using "Rog" on a base channel, rather on simplex or a TAC; they do use "ROGER" on the base channels. LAPD-types learn to hate 9, 10, and 11 code.

The term "ROGER" is used in the well know "ROGER Beep;" the tone you hear at the end of a transmission on some radios (particularly FRS and GMRS).

I wonder how many still use "5 by 5" (or that number system) to report the signal strength and readability of a radio transmission. "Radio Check" ... "Read you 5 by 5." The format is still widely used, but the numbers have gone away: "Read you loud and clear" or "Read you loud with static" or "Read you low volume with static."

Oh, and I get your humor, USAPatriot...:lol:

Last edited:

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
USAPatriot said:
You guys definitely need a sense of humor ;)
Oh, I've got one (you NEED one to stay in the business <g>) but after 30+ years and hearing something thousands of times it occasionally starts to lose its zing. The first dozen or so times, it was thought really cute to broadcast a call to "All you nuts in the vicinity and 6A15..." I hear it from a newbie now and then, and the funny part today is that they think they've invented something... that's actually been around forever. Or the old joke about dispatchers' first lesson is to say "ksscccht" at the end of each transmission, "12A17 clear, kssccht," or "17L120, roger, kssccht".

"Code 1" at LAPD means "Acknowledge your call," but many officers take it to be a kind of criticism, like "Hey, aren't you listening to me?" So the RTOs, knowing how fragile the ofcrs' sensitivities are about such things, have long ago given in and will usually ask "Did you receive?" the first or second time, and save the "Code 1" for when an urgent call really does need to be acknowledged. When in the right mood, I've on occasional occasion broadcast:
Me: "10A31, did you receive your Code 1?"
Him/her: "Ah, 10A31 negative."
Me: "OK, 10A31, Code 1"
Him/her: "Ur, um, 10A31, go ahead, I was out of the car..."

I once had a Wilshire unit tell me over the air very angrily, "Don't you ever 'Code 1' this unit." You can be sure that he got "Code-1'd" every chance I got the rest of that night.

I've been told that LAFD regularly gets inquiries asking "Who is this 'Petey' fellow? The dispatcher just told Engine 39, that 'Petey's enroute.'" That's funny once you first figure it out.

Some of those "you just gotta be there" things.

Last edited:

kgasso

Feed Provider
hmarnell said:
I've been told that LAFD regularly gets inquiries asking "Who is this 'Petey' fellow? The dispatcher just told Engine 39, that 'Petey's enroute.'" That's funny once you first figure it out.

Now THAT is simply priceless :)

illini52

Just heard this on ISPERN (Illinois way of saying HI to all PDs) on 155.475

The broadcast was for a guy swerving all over the lanes of traffic on the expressway. The description of the car included a Bob Marley sticker on the back. At that point I was really laughing. Then after the State was done with the broadcast, some officer came over the air and said "He was high!"

Man, that cracked me up.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Bumper Sticker Philosophy

mkewman said:
um... so what if he has a bob marley sticker? i have one too.
"A bumper sticker is the window to the driver's criminal mind and attitude. So read them before you approach." A quote from one of my police academy instructors.

I guess Bob Marley is one of the epitomes of a "pot head," hence the "He was high!"

Last edited:

vs1988

Not really funny as much as strange: on the PD channel about 20 minutes ago someone played "Mary Had a Little Lamb" on what sounded like a DTMF keypad.

Vince

Al42

hotdjdave said:
"A bumper sticker is the window to the driver's criminal mind and attitude. So read them before you approach." A quote from one of my police academy instructors.
So the guy with the "Support your local police" bumper sticker is safe to approach. right?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Al42 said:
So the guy with the "Support your local police" bumper sticker is safe to approach. right?

noticket-sml.jpg

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Al42 said:
Common sense comes into play (unlike your response :)). Just one of the many signs to look for when pulling over and approaching a vehicle. Expired tags, dirty lisence plate and a clean car, smoke coming from the window, number of occupants, where the occupants are looking and putting their hands, and about a thousand other things.

mikea7531

Feed Provider
Heard this on our county-wide talkgroup 'Public Safety'

"Somerset County to all recievers, The National Weather Service has issued a Severe Thunderstorm Potential Advisory (Then someone in a high pitched voice in the background yelled 'OH MY GOD!') for today, County clear, 8:20"

I wish i had a recording of it, you just have to hear it. :lol:

16b

Premium Subscriber
vs1988 said:
Not really funny as much as strange: on the PD channel about 20 minutes ago someone played "Mary Had a Little Lamb" on what sounded like a DTMF keypad.

Vince
You can play it all on one line (ie 9878999888999, etc...). DTMF music is an art :wink: .

USAPatriot

I heard a DIVER on the LAPD Metro freq this afternoon. Damnedest thing I've ever heard on the scanner. When he stopped talking and inhaled I could hear the regulator pop open and oxygen rush into his mask...and bubbles when he talked. -Rod-

Bentley

alpha 6 to district 1 ......run a subject by the name of Richard Burns "all the way around" (which means ncic/ats/acs)...few mins later dispatch came back saying he's negative. Alpha 6 requested to run him as "dick burns" she came back , you want me to run dick burns all the way around???

scankid2591

I heard this a few days ago when I was tuning into KSNS (Salinas Municipal) Tower on 119.4.

"Salinas Tower to NXXXX, you are 6 miles out coming in for a left downwind full stop on 26. I'll report clearance when you are 3 miles out."

A few minutes later...

"NXXXX to Salinas Tower, I am 2 miles out comin' up on final left downwind for a full stop on 26... Am I clear?"

"Oh, damn... My bad! NXXXX you are cleared for a full stop on 26."

"Roger, NXXXX."

Then today on Green (Salinas FD) I heard this:

BEEEEEEP, BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP "Engine 5311, Engine 5314, Medic Engine 5313, and Battalion 5304, you are responding to a structure fire on Garner Avenue, cross-street of Alamo. Reports of flames coming from the back of the apartment complex and bushes on fire."

About a minute later,

"Engine 5311 to Firecomm, there's no structure fire here! Just a lil' veggie fire... Advise cancel on all other units. Fire's out."

"Firecomm to 5314, 5313, and 5304, cancel run, return to quarters."

"10-4."

Last edited: