Whatever Happened to the "Trade-In Program"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
This was a message posted in a thread back in 2014. The only reason that I'm asking is that if this option is available, I would rather trade in my old PSR-800 on a TRX-1, than have it upgraded. I will pay to have my new Pro-668 upgraded.

Here's the thread:

https://forums.radioreference.com/gre-scanners/282091-email-response-whisler-today-1-16-14-a.html

Here's the message and Whistler reply:

01-16-2014, 7:31 PM
Jake68111

Default Email Response from Whisler Today (1/16/14)
Here is what I sent to Whistler this morning:

Hello there!

Just a simple question that I realize I may not get an answer to but, why
not?

I'm currently in the market for a new police scanner and as I understand
it, Whistler has obtained the "GRE" rights. I've heard that Whistler will
be coming out with a model/models this year. Uniden has just come out with
a few new scanners and what they have to offer is impressive.

My question is, if I choose to hold off till Whistler starts making
announcements, how long will I be expected to wait before Whistler comes
out with some information on what they have to offer?

I simply don't want to "jump the gun" on a purchase based on what Whistler
might have hiding in the wings.

If any information can be provided, it would be greatly appreciated,
although I'll keep in mind the sensitive nature of the question.

Thanks in advance,
Jake

Here is the response I received:

Hi Jake,

Thank you for your inquiry! Whistler's line of scanners are expected to be
released at the end of the first quarter this year. At that time we will
provide information on them via our website, facebook page and by
answering inquiries like yours.

We plan to have a trade in program for customers who have GRE or other
brand scanners and would like to purchase a Whistler. The trade in program
will give a discount off the price of a new Whistler scanner when you
trade in your old unit.

If you can wait to purchase a new unit, I encourage you to do so! Check
back with us toward the end of March and keep an eye on our website at
facebook page for updates.

Thank you,

Sheri Nolan | The Whistler Group
Customer Service/Warranty Manager
Office: 479-464-3586| Fax: 479-696-3686
Toll Free: 800-531-0004
Email: snolan@whistlergroup.com

Follow us on Twitter! http://twitter.com/WhistlerGroup
"Like" us on facebook! http://www.facebook.com/WhistlerGroup

SNIP

bradmc

Feed Provider
It would really depend on the amount of the discount at this point, but I would definitely consider that.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
An official response by Whistler to this posting or separate topic would certainly be appreciated, not only by myself, but I'm sure others, as well.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Wendy's Response

Hi all... I asked Wendy this very question back in December 2016 as I had just bought a 1088 a few weeks before the TRX line was introduced. I got a response from her back on 19 June 2017:

"Sorry for the delay in response to this note. I have been on vacation and just getting caught up. I'm not sure why someone on Customer Service has not responded to you but here is what I can tell you on the trade in.

If you would like to trade in your WS10xx for a TRX-1 or TRX-2 you can call our customer support number and request a trade in. Then your cost will be $410 for the TRX-1 and $445 for the TRX-2.

Thanks!
Wendy"

For $410, I may as well keep the 1088 and pony up an extra $43 and get a TRX-1 too!

milcom_chaser

Hi all... I asked Wendy this very question back in December 2016 as I had just bought a 1088 a few weeks before the TRX line was introduced. I got a response from her back on 19 June 2017:

"Sorry for the delay in response to this note. I have been on vacation and just getting caught up. I'm not sure why someone on Customer Service has not responded to you but here is what I can tell you on the trade in.

If you would like to trade in your WS10xx for a TRX-1 or TRX-2 you can call our customer support number and request a trade in. Then your cost will be $410 for the TRX-1 and $445 for the TRX-2.

Thanks!
Wendy"

For $410, I may as well keep the 1088 and pony up an extra $43 and get a TRX-1 too!

You could "pony up", get the TRX-1, and then sell off your 1088 as they are still in circulation, and worth some money - Whistler had "refurbished" units on their website for $250... The TRX-1 has an improved RF Board...

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
True that... but then one can't have too many scanners, right? :lol:

You could "pony up", get the TRX-1, and then sell off your 1088 as they are still in circulation, and worth some money - Whistler had "refurbished" units on their website for $250... The TRX-1 has an improved RF Board...

trp2525

"...If you would like to trade in your WS10xx for a TRX-1 or TRX-2 you can call our customer support number and request a trade in. Then your cost will be $410 for the TRX-1 and $445 for the TRX-2.

Thanks!
Wendy"

I agree with you as it doesn't make any sense to trade in a perfectly-functioning WS1088 just to be able to buy a new TRX-1 for $410.

Right now for just $25 more you can keep your WS1088 and buy a brand-new TRX-1 from Walmart.com for $434.39 as detailed in this RR thread: https://forums.radioreference.com/whistler-scanners/356724-whistler-trx-1-434-39-after-rebate.html

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
I would like to trade in my TRX-2 for a BCD996P2

That would be a deal

trp2525

I would like to trade in my TRX-2 for a BCD996P2

That would be a deal

That shouldn't be hard to accomplish at all. Assuming your TRX-2 is in like-new condition without any issues I would imagine you would be able to get AT LEAST $400 for it on eBay or Craigslist. There is a used TRX-2 on eBay right now with a starting bid of $400 (Whistler TRX-2 Digital Trunking Scanner (P25 Phase-2, DMR, NXDN) | eBay).

After selling your TRX-2 for $400+ you could then purchase a brand-new BCD996P2 for $352.73 with FREE shipping included from Jet.com (https://jet.com/product/detail/637bc9aadad5419b969909a13563324e). You could then pocket the extra money left over from the sale of your TRX-2. IMHO that is better than doing a straight trade-in of your TRX-2 for a BCD996P2.

Additional Information: If you are a new customer to Jet.com and use the discount code SAVE15 at checkout, you will save an additional $20. That will bring your price for the BCD996P2 down to $332.73 with FREE shipping included.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.