• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

recommendations for mobile repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Quick report - so far the results are NOT encouraging. Kayn's prediction appear to be correct and the separation is not sufficient. In fact, so poor that I need a spacing of 11MHz before I get a system that would be usable. I had hoped that 8MHz would be acceptable but the repeater even on low power desenses the receiver far too much. I'm now on plan B. Kenwood repeater in a 4U rack, with a small fixed station duplexer, wrapped in foam in the 2U empty space, and a single antenna. Takes up far too much space, but appears to be a working solution.

If you have the ability/separation, I'd obtain a mobile duplexer. Epcom (El Paso Communications) has the best pricing I've seen so far on mobile duplexers...$215 before shipping. Getting it across the pond may be an issue though.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Quick report - so far the results are NOT encouraging. Kayn's prediction appear to be correct and the separation is not sufficient. In fact, so poor that I need a spacing of 11MHz before I get a system that would be usable. I had hoped that 8MHz would be acceptable but the repeater even on low power desenses the receiver far too much. I'm now on plan B. Kenwood repeater in a 4U rack, with a small fixed station duplexer, wrapped in foam in the 2U empty space, and a single antenna. Takes up far too much space, but appears to be a working solution.

I will suggest it again.

The Hytera portable repeater(you already own), with a mobile duplexer. If you need one, buy one of the Chinese ones, while they are a PITA to tune due to the screw and nut tuning 'rod', they will meet or beat the specs. of the Sinclair mobile duplexer they are a rip-off of.

paulears

The experiment with a duplexer does clearly show that I have to do it properly to get more than 400m or so range. My hope the split would add enough isolation was clearly wrong.

Is there a design difference that makes the mobile duplexers more expensive - externally, they appear the same, and I have a couple here, one UK built and one Chinese sourced that appear extremely similar. As the function of these and construction seems the same - has anyone cut one of the Chinese ones open to look at the engineering?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
The experiment with a duplexer does clearly show that I have to do it properly to get more than 400m or so range. My hope the split would add enough isolation was clearly wrong.

Is there a design difference that makes the mobile duplexers more expensive - externally, they appear the same, and I have a couple here, one UK built and one Chinese sourced that appear extremely similar. As the function of these and construction seems the same - has anyone cut one of the Chinese ones open to look at the engineering?
I do not think so. The probable reason the Chinese ones are so cheap is the cost to make them. Like I said before, the Chinese ones tune up as good as the Sinclair ones they are a copy of. I have had them side by side on a bench with test hear. The big difference is the way the tuning rods are built. The Sinclair ones use a compression nut, where as the Chinese ones have a threaded nut on a screw.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Project25_MASTR

I do not think so. The probable reason the Chinese ones are so cheap is the cost to make them. Like I said before, the Chinese ones tune up as good as the Sinclair ones they are a copy of. I have had them side by side on a bench with test hear. The big difference is the way the tuning rods are built. The Sinclair ones use a compression nut, where as the Chinese ones have a threaded nut on a screw.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

The Chinese ones generally don't use silver plated connectors. Then again, some of the offerings from RFS (Celwave) don't either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Project25_MASTR

I actually just delivered two RF Technologies Eclispe 2 reciters in interop repeaters to a customer of mine. There's a new official mobile repeater based on the Eclispe 2 minus some features but will add the in-vehicle repeat capability for VRS operation. Originally I spec' d that job using Simoco SRM9005 radios configured for P25 repeat but they never would function properly in analog so they got swapped with the RFT options.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
The Chinese ones generally don't use silver plated connectors. Then again, some of the offerings from RFS (Celwave) don't either.

Oddly, I have seen the Chinese mobile duplexes tune up as good as the Sinclair mobile duplexes. Agreed on the silver connectors... a bit over budget for the chinese

Project25_MASTR

Oddly, I have seen the Chinese mobile duplexes tune up as good as the Sinclair mobile duplexes. Agreed on the silver connectors... a bit over budget for the chinese

The irony, $100 more than a 50W Chinese notch duplexer (which is between $100-$150 less than an RFS or EMR) you can get a Made in Mexico notch only duplexer from El Paso Communications...with sliver plated connectors.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
The irony, $100 more than a 50W Chinese notch duplexer (which is between $100-$150 less than an RFS or EMR) you can get a Made in Mexico notch only duplexer from El Paso Communications...with sliver plated connectors.

Interesting. Good to know.

tacticalrf.com/tech/antenna_isolation.pdf

I found this H vs V isolation chart, don't know who to credit.
If you have to use dual antennas try yagis vertically stacked if you can get away with the unidirectional
pattern.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I sold the Pyramid and Vertex units. Both work. The Vertex is simple with a lower cost.

Vertex Standard | VXR-1000

The Pyramid SVR series and the Vertex VXR are simplex crossband repeaters to use as mobile extenders. They are not duplex repeaters like th OP is seeking.

You can make a duplex repeater, but you need either an in band mobile radio or a second SVR or VXR to do the transmitting. And yes you will need a duplexer either way you go for in band operation.

I have to wonder how these cheap Chinese duplexers handle shock and vibration. Hat to be down on the Chinese, but those damn cheap radios. What are they thinking?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
You can make a duplex repeater, but you need either an in band mobile radio or a second SVR or VXR to do the transmitting. And yes you will need a duplexer either way you go for in band operation.

Almost be better off using 2 mobiles with a controller. Set it up so you have 5 watts out of the duplexer and put the 3rd mobile(that the SVR/VXR would be hooked to) on the link port. You would also be able to talk back before the repeater drops.

I have to wonder how these cheap Chinese duplexers handle shock and vibration.

I would loctight the threads and I imagine it would be no worse than the Sinclair mobile duplexer they are copies of.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.