Yaesu: Setting up FT-60r for a road trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbranch

Premium Subscriber
Hello all, my wife and I are heading to Gettysburg mid Sept and I'd like to take my HT along. Was curious if anyone had any tips for setting up the FT-60r for a road trip.

73's and Thanks,
Roger
KD9RLB

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Everyone is going to have a slightly different approach to this, but what I used to do with the 7800 mobile and later on, a Kenwood:

I'd set up various repeaters along the route in order of my trip. I could generally switch to the next repeater down the highway as I drove. Often I'd forget, or wouldn't hear anything for a long time. But, having the ability to hit a repeater most of the way along the route gave a bit of peace of mind.
On the way back, I'd just switch back down the list in the opposite order.

Also, keeping 146.52 in the mix is a good idea, although I rarely hear anything on it. I've done a few long road trips, California to Colorado, California to Texas, California up into British Columbia, etc. Often not much hear on 146.52. Occasionally I'll hear traffic off on some of the other simplex channels from other travelers, usually groups/families just talking between cars. Sometimes just scanning the band will find you stuff you'd otherwise miss if just focusing on the repeaters.

ermin

Thanks, generally that is my plan. I'm looking for more detailed possibilities of the FT-60r HT. If none get mentioned then I'll probably go to K5EHX Amateur Radio Repeater Map and get repeaters along my route if travel. That's a great site if you've never seen it. Check it out.

Thanks,
Roger

I would also use the great Repeaterbook.com and use their app on your smart phone.

Ermin

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
FT-60R

You might want to check out the RT Systems programing software for the FT-60. I have not used it, but the FT-1D (I do use it) lets you import from the RR database, RepeaterBook, or RFinder. You can select the state and county and pull in data much faster than looking it up and typing using other software. Check Youtube or RT Systems for this program's abilities.

wrath

You might want to check out the RT Systems programing software for the FT-60. I have not used it, but the FT-1D (I do use it) lets you import from the RR database, RepeaterBook, or RFinder. You can select the state and county and pull in data much faster than looking it up and typing using other software. Check Youtube or RT Systems for this program's abilities.
Excellent suggestion my though exactly I have my radio stuffed with every repeater from Manhattan NYC to pittsburgh pa 370 someode machines anf it took me 20 seconds to program it all .imported into rt systems and bang that also includes law enforcement and public works as well , it helps to monitor those to know ifbtrafgic is to be avoided .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks, generally that is my plan. I'm looking for more detailed possibilities of the FT-60r HT. If none get mentioned then I'll probably go to K5EHX Amateur Radio Repeater Map and get repeaters along my route if travel. That's a great site if you've never seen it. Check it out.

Thanks,
Roger

Many years ago I had a piece of software that came as a package deal with one of the radios I purchased. I think it was called "Travel Plus". I allowed you to map out a route and it would pick all the repeaters along the path. If I recall correctly, it would even upload to the programming software. Pretty sure it was a Kenwood dual band at the time, but I could be wrong, it was several years ago.

Not even sure if that software is still around.

wrath

Travel plus was an A.R.R.L. Repeater software since rebranded as repeater book it will cost you $9.99 a year currently per year , the price will be going up soon , but if you suscribe with auto reneaal you can lock that price in , and then just plan your route online it will generste a list of repeaters that you then import and install to your radio.it does everything from setting the shift , PL and naming the memory. It's worth the investment!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

k6cpo

The FT-60 has the capability of storing memories in banks. there ate ten memory banks and frequencies can be stored in more than one bank/ You could use Repeater Book to select a group of repeaters in a location and store them in a particular bank, then store another area in a different bank. This will be much, much easier with the RT Systems programming software.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
On the road an in the car, the portable is going to have a somewhat limited service area. Are you going to have an external antenna?

Using a mobile radio, I do like mmckenna. Historically, however, I've found that many repeaters are not active, in spite of what the outside sources say and that responses are infrequent from active repeaters. It's an FT-8900 and I sometimes put the 2m simplex frequency on one side. I heard two farmers in Kansas talking one time but that's the only conversation I remember on simplex on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.