Slowed audio on RPi Broadcastify feed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K5DVT

Feed Provider
Wow that just shows you my intelligence. Still a similar error:

pi@twotonedetectv67 ~ $ sudo darkice
DarkIce 1.0 live audio streamer, Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.
Copyright (c) 2000-2007, Tyrell Hungary, Tyrell Hungary Corporation
Copyright (c) 2008-2010, Akos Maroy and Rafael Diniz
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under the terms of The GNU General Public License version 3 or
any later version.

Using config file: /etc/darkice.cfg
Using ALSA DSP input device: plughw:1,0
Using POSIX real-time scheduling, priority 98
DarkIce: DarkIce.cpp:1187: can't open connector [0]
pi@twotonedetectv67 ~ $

Screen -list and sudo screen list shows that TTD and Darkice aren't running.

*EDIT*

It took about 5 mins to start, but the stream is back online. I'm going to tune it to a NOAA weather station to see if the audio is still delayed or not.

K5DVT

Feed Provider
Well, after rechecking my TTD config parameters, I have it showing up in the detached screen. Thanks for all the help! Now I will set it back up on the shelf and hope nothing happens to it for the next 10 years....

JACK26

Nice to hear you resolved your problem. A good time to back up an image of that sd-card. I do that periodically when I have something that works. Still working on a reliable rpi3 solution for rtl-sdr fm narrow band bcfy feeder :).

Last edited:
I have the same slowed audio problem with Lubuntu box using one of the $3 usb sound cards off eBay, works fine on Win7

JACK26

That's another example of how that can happen. Sill a mismatch in the bitrate and sample rate between the hardware and software. In that case a mismatch with the LUbuntu box config settings and not a sound card failure issue.

That's another example of how that can happen. Sill a mismatch in the bitrate and sample rate between the hardware and software. In that case a mismatch with the LUbuntu box config settings and not a sound card failure issue.
The thing is that b.u.t.t says that anything except 44.1k or 48k are invalid sample rates for that device

JACK26

Re-sampling at different bit rates can work but the decoder has to know what the resampling ratio is so it can decode playback at the correct rate. The problem happens when the decoder doesn't know the bit rate re-encode ratio. Some USB sound sticks may have limitations with the workable range of some encoders, but would not call that a 'hw failure' it's a hardware limitation.
So far my experience with this problem has been re-encoding the sound from a rtl-sdr stick and mismatching sox re-sampling rate. Interesting though and maybe useful in some applications :).

DC31

Feed Provider
I have the same slowed audio problem with Lubuntu box using one of the $3 usb sound cards off eBay, works fine on Win7

I agree with Jack26, it is a setting problem and not a sound card problem.

I set up a streamer using darkice on a pi last week and experienced the same slow audio problem. This pi was solely running darkice, no TTD, and no pulseaudio. Changing the samplerate in the darkice configuration file from 11025 to 44100 corrected the problem.

Here is that portion of the configuration file:

#this section describes the audio input that will be streamed
[input]
device= hw:0,0# OSS DSP soundcard device for the audio input
sampleRate= 44100 # sample rate in Hz. try 11025, 22050 or 44100
bitsPerSample = 16# bits per sample. try 16
channel= 1# channels. 1 = mono, 2 = stereo

Status
Not open for further replies.