OP25 VirtualBox Project - Run OP25 on Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

ansul1001

#1 Member
I don't recall having that much of an issue when I installed Mint, but that was a while ago...

Try this:
sudo apt-get install python2.7-dev
or maybe this:
sudo apt-get install python2.7

If it fails you can always do this to fix the numpy error, but I wonder what else is missing.
sudo apt-get install python-numpy

Now i get an error cannot find op25 swig

ansul1001

#1 Member
Installing the swig did the trick seams something has changed though tried it again on 16.04 and had the same errors maybe the update from Linux changed something thanks for your help got it working

rylvir

Feed Provider
So I ran back into the same headache I had last year with streaming with OP25 to broadcastify (or icecast internal). After about an hour, there is a good 15 minute delay to the stream when monitoring a single talkgroup. This delay seems to just get longer and longer as time goes on, making it difficult to setup a "live" feed. I am using the internal audio server (-W), and darkice to stream to broadcastify. I have also tried streaming locally with darkice > icecast and connecting on the same network with the same results.

The PC I am using is just a regular PC with Linux Mint 18.2 64bit installed. I can't recall if that audio delay is present on the PC itself (no speakers) but I'll check when I get home.

boatbod

So I ran back into the same headache I had last year with streaming with OP25 to broadcastify (or icecast internal). After about an hour, there is a good 15 minute delay to the stream when monitoring a single talkgroup. This delay seems to just get longer and longer as time goes on, making it difficult to setup a "live" feed. I am using the internal audio server (-W), and darkice to stream to broadcastify. I have also tried streaming locally with darkice > icecast and connecting on the same network with the same results.

The PC I am using is just a regular PC with Linux Mint 18.2 64bit installed. I can't recall if that audio delay is present on the PC itself (no speakers) but I'll check when I get home.

Is Mint your primary OS or is it running in a virtual machine with Windoze as the primary? If the latter, I would suspect something is causing a major slowdown (e.g. windows update process) but what doesn't make sense is how op25 does not loose track of the control channel if it's being swapped out or otherwise delayed.

I recommend you test the audio on the local machine first, before making the determination whether the delay is due to op25 (unlikely) or darkice. I personally stream to broadcastify from an Ubuntu 14.04 machine with absolutely no problems, and also from a RPI3 running Debian Stretch.

royldean

So the system that I set up with boatbod's help is using a control channel that is NOT listed as the control channel in the RR database. No problem, using GQRX I checked all of the listed frequencies and found the control channel, and used that frequency in the rx.py command line as well as the trunk.tsv file.

Now, I want to enter all of the frequencies so that in the event that they switch the control channel back to the original, everything still works. With trunk.tsv, no problem - just add multiple control channels seperated by commas (correct?). But what about the command line to initiate rx.py? What does the frequency in the command line control? Does it need to be the actual control frequency?

Is there a list of arguments for rx.py so that I can tinker with my setup? Current command line as given to me by boatbod is:

./rx.py -P fft --args "rtl=0" --gains 'lna:36' -O 'default' -f 769.53125e6 -S 1440000 -T trunk.tsv -v 1 -q 0 -d 0 -2 -U 2> stderr.2

Also, to start rx.py without the plot, do I just omit the "-P" (I believe I read this in the rpi thread).

boatbod

So the system that I set up with boatbod's help is using a control channel that is NOT listed as the control channel in the RR database. No problem, using GQRX I checked all of the listed frequencies and found the control channel, and used that frequency in the rx.py command line as well as the trunk.tsv file.

Now, I want to enter all of the frequencies so that in the event that they switch the control channel back to the original, everything still works. With trunk.tsv, no problem - just add multiple control channels seperated by commas (correct?). But what about the command line to initiate rx.py? What does the frequency in the command line control? Does it need to be the actual control frequency?

Is there a list of arguments for rx.py so that I can tinker with my setup? Current command line as given to me by boatbod is:

./rx.py -P fft --args "rtl=0" --gains 'lna:36' -O 'default' -f 769.53125e6 -S 1440000 -T trunk.tsv -v 1 -q 0 -d 0 -2 -U 2> stderr.2

Also, to start rx.py without the plot, do I just omit the "-P" (I believe I read this in the rpi thread).

For multiple control channels I believe you just put multiple lines in trunk.tsv.

The frequency listed on the rx.py command line is required to get the system started, and also in the case where you are not trunking (i.e. no -T option) and want to tune a specific frequency. It doesn't have to be a valid control channel frequency as it will be overriden by the contents of trunk.tsv.

NOTE: if you are using my fork, you can set a 0x000 nac and rx.py will take and use the first nac it finds.

tecc1229

Power / Receive power

So after much time, blood, sweat and beers (due to minimal Linux experience), I got op25 running on Linux 16. Everything is running and fine tuned to dead tuned thanks to the new plot. I am still getting some drops and quite a bit of choppy transmissions as if I am loosing the transmission a second after it starts. I guess my question is what is the recommended power level that "should" derive a fairly clean signal? Currently -40dB. Have 3 different antenna's including a ALTELIX Yagi. Please Advise :)

System I am monitoring:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6916

RFSS 4

tecc1229

Also, I couldn't go back and edit my previous post due to mod approval, But I am not experiencing any buffer under runs. System specs are as follows

ASUS G750JM
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ Processor
16GB DDR3
240GB SSD Drive
GTX 860 W/ 2GB DDR5

boatbod

So after much time, blood, sweat and beers (due to minimal Linux experience), I got op25 running on Linux 16. Everything is running and fine tuned to dead tuned thanks to the new plot. I am still getting some drops and quite a bit of choppy transmissions as if I am loosing the transmission a second after it starts. I guess my question is what is the recommended power level that "should" derive a fairly clean signal? Currently -40dB. Have 3 different antenna's including a ALTELIX Yagi. Please Advise :)

System I am monitoring:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6916

RFSS 4

Also, I couldn't go back and edit my previous post due to mod approval, But I am not experiencing any buffer under runs.

Virtual machine or native Linux?
-40dB on which plot? On my main system I see about -28dB on plot 1 (fft) and about -40dB on plot 5 (I/F). It decodes pretty much 100% with no drops.

Turn the logging up to level one "-v 1" and report whether you are seeing any rx_sym() timeouts.

rylvir

Feed Provider
Is Mint your primary OS or is it running in a virtual machine with Windoze as the primary? If the latter, I would suspect something is causing a major slowdown (e.g. windows update process) but what doesn't make sense is how op25 does not loose track of the control channel if it's being swapped out or otherwise delayed.

I recommend you test the audio on the local machine first, before making the determination whether the delay is due to op25 (unlikely) or darkice. I personally stream to broadcastify from an Ubuntu 14.04 machine with absolutely no problems, and also from a RPI3 running Debian Stretch.

Mint is the primary OS; just a clean install of Mint 18.2 64-bit. So I hooked up a speaker and checked in after 8 hours of running: there was no delay from OP25 whatsoever heard through the speaker! The feed was still a bit behind but only about 5 minutes. Worth noting I did change the talkgroup hold time in trunking.py from 10 down to 6. With the delay at 10 it may have just exasperated the delay heard over broadcastify. It's weird: I hear the follow up response to calls immediately on the PC speaker, but there's always an odd 10 second or so delay between the two calls on the feed. So it must be darkice.

Could you PM me, or post your setup for streaming to broadcastify? Do you provide metadata with your feed?

Last edited:

tecc1229

Plot 5: -39dB Plot 1: -24dB.

added -v 1, not seeing any errors, but I may be looking in the wrong spot. Would the they in the main terminal window? I did check stderr.2 file. Not sure if it has any relevance. I have one talkgroup white listed (my listening area) to see if that helped at all.

audio device: default
1509055550.963130 p25p1_fdma::rx_sym() timeout
1509055550.963251 control channel timeout
1509055569.644621 voice update: tg(33054), freq(854712500), slot(None)
1509055569.800432 voice update: tg(33054), freq(854712500), slot(None)
1509055572.218334 voice update: tg(33054), freq(854712500), slot(None)
1509055573.426872 voice update: tg(33054), freq(852962500), slot(None)
... Rest of the files looks the same .....

EDIT: Using Native Linux, not VM

Last edited:

boatbod

Plot 5: -39dB Plot 1: -24dB.

added -v 1, not seeing any errors, but I may be looking in the wrong spot. Would the they in the main terminal window? I did check stderr.2 file. Not sure if it has any relevance. I have one talkgroup white listed (my listening area) to see if that helped at all.

audio device: default
1509055550.963130 p25p1_fdma::rx_sym() timeout
1509055550.963251 control channel timeout
1509055569.644621 voice update: tg(33054), freq(854712500), slot(None)
1509055569.800432 voice update: tg(33054), freq(854712500), slot(None)
1509055572.218334 voice update: tg(33054), freq(854712500), slot(None)
1509055573.426872 voice update: tg(33054), freq(852962500), slot(None)
... Rest of the files looks the same .....

How often does rx_sym() timeout occur in the stderr.2 log? The first part of the message is a timestamp, so you can check the interval in seconds.

With solids reception and tuning you shouldn't see any of those messages. Catching one every now and again isn't a big deal, but if they occur frequently it might be that you need to improve your signal strength.

tecc1229

How often does rx_sym() timeout occur in the stderr.2 log? The first part of the message is a timestamp, so you can check the interval in seconds.

With solids reception and tuning you shouldn't see any of those messages. Catching one every now and again isn't a big deal, but if they occur frequently it might be that you need to improve your signal strength.
Only one in the log is the one at the top of the log I included. I recorded a small clip of it. I'll link the YouTube url in a bit.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

PiccoIntegra

Premium Subscriber
It would be really helpful if you provided the command line you're using. Going by the video you posted, it looks to me that you aren't tuned properly.

tecc1229

There is a good chance I am way off with my command line. I did use the fine tune from the new plot 5 to tune in the center of the freq.

./rx.py --args 'rtl' --gains 'lna:44' -f 851.32500 -T trunk.tsv -d 800 -S 2400000 -P mixer -w 2> stderr.2 -U

I am using the metal sdr from RTL-SDR.com. Played around with higher and lower sample rates without much of a noticable difference.

Edi: Have also tried to increase and decrease the gain levels

Last edited:

PiccoIntegra

Premium Subscriber
Code:
./rx.py  --args 'rtl' -N 'LNA:49' -f 851.325e6 -o -20000 -q 0 -S 2400000 -P mixer 2> stderr.2

try this command line, and post a screenshot of your gnuplot window. (I'm assuming the control channel is active on 851.325e6)

Status
Not open for further replies.