Funny/Odd things heard on the scanner

KC3ECJ

Another thread on here is concerning a Motorsport facility that supposedly said their frequency was 000.000 MHz. To keep from going off-topic in that thread, I thought I would post this story here.

I went to a dirt track here in North Carolina one night and I took my 396XT with me because I like to listen to Race Control to keep up with what’s going on. I immediately found the one-way frequency that they give instructions to the drivers. (Raceceiver on 454.000) but I had a hard time finding the Race Control frequency that the officials, tow trucks and rescue personnel were using.

I finally got a Close Call hit and heard them, looked down and saw that they were using 401.000 MHz in CSQ mode. This wasn’t an image because I plugged it into an FT-60R and got them there also. What I found interesting was that this particular race track was near a major military base. Found it surprising that a radio shop would do something like that but again, they may have programmed the radios themselves or clipped something on some ham radios.

There's these radios that fall into the military range. I don't remember the exact frequency, but it was shown to be in 400mhz US Military band. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-Wirel...206015&hash=item3ac35c8c06:g:T3QAAOSwt7pXMqy~

BartowCountyScanner

Banned
Sometimes, it is easy to get caught up in your work and forget about the things going on outside. This is especially true for dispatchers.
Dispatch: Caller advises her roof is green.
Deputy: All the roofs are white!

I guess the dispatcher forgot that it snowed nearly a foot the day before. Thankfully the shutters were green too!

Now they are two!!!

Animial control in my city got a call about a small black pig running loose on Highway 11..... When the cop was dispatched another came over the air and said "now there are two down there"....

1977addis

W3WIK
Premium Subscriber
Karaoke machines

I’ve always got a kick out of listening in on people’s kareoke machines. Very funny when the kids give it a go!

boyledad

Ahh, pigs...

Animial control in my city got a call about a small black pig running loose on Highway 11..... When the cop was dispatched another came over the air and said "now there are two down there"....

I helped animal control chase a pot bellied pig once when I was considerably younger. Those suckers are slick. There's nothing to grip even if you do get close enough to attempt a grab. We had to literally corner it in a yard.

teufler

Tonite a local farmer had some sheep get out on the road. A deputy showed up and after a few mimutes, we called dispatch to say problem taken car off. He explained to dispatch, "I told him I can help get the flock out of here.". A deputy with a sense of humor.

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
Dispatch: 361 stack your call, 361 and 360, be enroute to a.. Welfare.. Check..
361: 361 both units received.
Dispatch: 361 and 360, 3XXX Sheppard Lane, caller says people are watching her through her TV and phone.
360: 60 sounds like my ex, I'll be stepping it up code.

RDGDigital

Late last night, I heard the county police dispatched to a call where someone's car was in their swimming pool. I hope the car wasn't someone's Christmas present.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Happened a few years ago. Most agencies in my area were using the state (at the time) analog/digital trunked system.

I heard a couple units (sheriff deputies) come across that I was familiar with, but something was different. The 2 officers were chatting & doing radio checks with each other on this new channel they'd found that had real good coverage and dispatch couldn't hear them on. 1 officer even called someone & verified they weren't being heard on the scanner. They seemed to be pretty happy about their new found "private" channel.

They were on the NPSPAC calling channel, that's monitored 24/7 by state police dispatch. The "different" sound was that I normally heard them on a digital talk group, but this time they were analog. I didn't let them play around too long before making them aware of their mistake. 1 of the officers is a relative & I didn't want him to get jammed up.

Jeff.

Jeff, I’m just curious, but I’m assuming that since one of the officers was a relative that you made him/her aware by calling or texting them? In other words, not via radio!

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
File this under you gootttaaaa believe you have now heard it all:

Are you sitting down yet, better sit down and empty your mouth for this one: Just moments ago... IMPD runs a DL..
Jason Bourne
Your Welcome!

ricktal1965

Mystery tower

I drive through the middle peninsula (Mathews, Va,) sometimes. As soon as I enter the cobbs creek area, my radio blasts on 155.185. Mathews, Va lists no tower there for sheriff or fire. Etc. The picture is availible on google if you go to the Cobbs Creek Post Office, 23035 and look behind the P.O. with street-view. Tower has parabolic (x2) and various other antennas. Various curious as to its owner and operations.
37.505692, -76.396889.