La Porte declared ''dead zone'' for scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Could someone in English (plain) explain the difference in a regular site and a simulcast site.
I do know what 'simulcast' means but how does it apply here? Thanks much....

Simulcast refers to the process of transmitting the same signal from different tower locations over the same frequency at the same time.

For public safety communications, this typically means multiple towers: configured to transmit the exact same communications, on the exact same frequencies, at precisely the same time. This can result in better coverage of a wide-area or a dense area with higher populous and/or buildings. Such simulcast systems must use some form of very precise timing: to synchronize, their, multiple transmitting towers, or interference can result, from mis-timed (asynchronous) signals, destructively mixing, in a receiver i.e. scanner or even a subscriber's radio on that system.

Simulcast is not analogous to multiple-site wide-area-networked trunking systems, that use different frequencies, at each site; however, simulcast "cells" (several sites operating as one in a simulcast configuration) can be implemented in such systems.

Example: Washington County (example only) Has 4 Sites: north, east, west, south; each is listed as a "Simulcast Site" in the RRDB. These Sites cover their intended area with frequencies that differ amoungst each site, but share all "Common" Talkgroups. Generally each site carries its own traffic on the individual Sites, without a Dispatcher's "Console" interference, in extreme circumstances at the Dispatcher's Console a key press can enable all 4 Sites to "All talk", cross-linking them together; now some may argue that this is the only time the Washington County is truly "Simulcast", but henceforth it's just "A System" with 4 independent Sites, aka a Multi-Site System. These 4 Sites allow 4x the amount of traffic to be on the Washington County Public Safety System at any given time at the peril of Public Safety people not hearing what could be happening a few miles away on one of the other Sites.

North
East
West
South

In reality:
North actually has 4 Tower locations (1 Simulcast Site)
East actually has 6 Tower locations (1 Simulcast Site)
West has 3 Tower Locations (1 Simulcast Site)
South has 5 Tower Locations (1 Simulcast Site)

[source]
Simulcast - The RadioReference Wiki

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Stan Maddux doesn't have a clue

I sent an email to "Stan Maddux" of WCOE radio requesting he publish a retraction, and do some more research before accusing his local public safety officials of hiding information, which clearly they aren't, and to contact his scanner manufacturer and ask them why their products are pure trash.

My email inbox has been as quiet as Stan's garbage pail scanner is. Imagine that.

What Stan doesn't realize is these kind of harsh words against well meaning government officials only do more harm than good in the long run.

WCOE is a 3KW class A FM station that, according to WikiPedia, has filed for bankruptcy protection. Got to wonder how long until 96.7MHz in LaPorte is either silent, or bought up by Entercom, ClearChannel or someone else and turned into another translator for the "Radio Training Network" aka Edgewater Broadcasting .

A local radio station should be a steward of the community it serves and not an antagonist.

Last edited:

DJ11DLN

Nothing like regurgitating a completely factless, baseless article. And people wonder why the corporate for-profit media is known for "fake news".

In this case, this is certainly true.
Such is much of journalism these days. Sad state of affairs.

troymail

Silent Key
Nothing like regurgitating a completely factless, baseless article. And people wonder why the corporate for-profit media is known for "fake news".

In this case, this is certainly true.

I don't think I would call it "fake news" -- Many are experiencing problems (and not just in Indiana) - so there is some truth to it. However I would definitely call it inaccurate. If subscriber radios are working for "real" intended users, they aren't going to "tweak" anything (even if they could) to satisfy scanner users....

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I don't think I would call it "fake news" -- Many are experiencing problems (and not just in Indiana) - so there is some truth to it.

Many scanner owners yes, due to incompatible and improperly engineered consumer products.

Those of us with actual subscriber radios on similar systems around the country aren't. If we were, we'd be demanding our vendors fix it, or refund our taxpayer's money.

If subscriber radios are working for "real" intended users, they aren't going to "tweak" anything (even if they could) to satisfy scanner users....

So I asked Mr. Maddux for any real proof that actual public safety responders in LaPorte were experiencing the "dead zones" he claim exist. Guess what, they only "dead zone" is his lack of response with real proof.

Again, this is pure FAKE NEWS if there ever was.

ads47

Premium Subscriber
WOW he obviously didn't even bother to simply google it for a little back ground or explanation of the problem.

I am always amazed at how some members of the scanner/ham community fuel the fire in situations like this by not understanding whats going on and demanding they have the right to listen to the system. Your right you do, but we are not going to compromise a mission critical system to make sure a $300 scanner with the wrong decoder in it can listen clearly to a talkgroup that may or may not even be affiliated with the tower you are close to.

Unication is currently one of the only scanners on the market with a decoder that works fantastic on LSM systems. They are also great guys to work with and very responsive to users needs.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
WOW he obviously didn't even bother to simply google it for a little back ground or explanation of the problem.

because the author is a typical misinformed idiot who is now creating a crisis where one doesn't exist.

Hey Stan, are any actual system users (subscribers) having issues with their actual public safety radios?

If the answer is no, (which it most likely is), than you are wasting your officials' time distracting them from real actual work crying to them that garbage pail consumer electronic devices are just that: garbage and aren't properly designed to industry standards.

I am always amazed at how some members of the scanner/ham community fuel the fire in situations like this by not understanding whats going on and demanding they have the right to listen to the system.

And those are usually the ones that cause us in the business to "eyeroll" when their names are dropped. Most of us know the truth and are experiencing EXCELLENT performance on the systems we maintain, and our users agree.

The real complaints should go to the scanner manufacturers who pump out cheap garbage based on decade old designs that are subpar performing products. How about a "news" story about consumers getting ripped off?
Oh I know, that takes real, actual factual work- though they would not have to do much. It's WELL documented.

Unication is currently one of the only scanners on the market with a decoder that works fantastic on LSM systems. They are also great guys to work with and very responsive to users needs.

Remember the Unication is a professional tool and marketed as such, it is not marketed as a "scanner" per se, but it certainly fills a gap where the two big players are ignoring: and that is a quality, robust and superior performing receiver capable of flawless decoding of both LSM and C4FM digital.

The demos we have are superb in all respects.

RRR

Premium Subscriber

Except for totally ignoring us with request for information on the much delayed release on Phase2, talkgroup lockout, talkgroup hold, the latest funky bugs in the firmware upgrade, etc. etc.

...I know, I know it's not a "Scanner". Excellent excuse to ignore those issues, but don't preach they are so "very responsive to users needs"....

ads47

Premium Subscriber
Yeah we have fielded a couple thousand Unicatoins and the users love them.

ads

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Yeah we have fielded a couple thousand Unicatoins and the users love them.

Maybe Stan Maddux should reach out to Unication and request a demo. Once he actually hears what the LaPorte system on an actual professional subscriber and not some plastic garbage toy, he could then print a retraction and apologize for his fake news articles and accusing public safety officials of some absurd conspiracy?

Yeah right. Easier to make up "bad cop" stories than actually gather and report facts. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.