• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New Public Safety P25 Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

candlercoso

Feed Provider
We are in the process of implementing a new Motorola P25 700 trunking system. We are starting with our office (sheriff) and we hope to bring other agencies onto the system incrementally. We have a great project team thus far. We will be coming from the dark into the light so to speak. From analog vhf over 20 years old to the new system. Can any of you veterans offer any advice of things that I may need to consider or look out for?

Thanks

JP.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Having had "Motorola Built" systems under my control before, it's hard to say. A lot of it depends on who is actually doing the work.
Some guys will make sure it's all done right and do a great job. Others will cut corners every chance they get. Just because it's "Motorola" doesn't mean anything about the techs.

The issue is when Motorola comes in and does one of these jobs, they do -everything-. Ideally you want an outside consultant or local Subject Matter Expert (SME) that is separate from the project that can watch over things. Making sure the job is done to spec, done to code, and done right is important. Relying on the company that sold you the system to do that isn't always a good idea.

As for specific things to watch out for…
Specifically with Motorola, make sure they do not enable ANY AND I MEAN ANY! proprietary features on their system that will lock out any other brands of radio. Used to be that Motorola was really good at enabling the "free" ADP encryption on their radios and that would lock out all other manufacturers. You would basically be stuck buying Motorola radios for the rest of the system life.
Do NOT let them do this on your system.

Also, make sure that they do not read, write, or read/write disable ANY of your radios. Some shops will do this in an effort to make you go through their specific shop for any changes, reprogramming, etc. Remember, they are YOUR radios, not Motorola's, not the shops, etc. You need to have complete control over your radio system. That means no one is allowed to force you into using a specific shop for all your equipment and programming for the life of your system.

northzone

Premium Subscriber
Can any of you veterans offer any advice of things that I may need to consider or look out for?

Thanks

JP.

The fact that you are even asking that question on a scanner hobby forum means you are in way over your head. Get PROFESSIONAL outside help, although it may be too late at this point if you have already signed a contract. Tons of things that can go wrong.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
ADP is wide spread

Specifically with Motorola, make sure they do not enable ANY AND I MEAN ANY! proprietary features on their system that will lock out any other brands of radio. Used to be that Motorola was really good at enabling the "free" ADP encryption on their radios and that would lock out all other manufacturers. You would basically be stuck buying Motorola radios for the rest of the system life.

Not true. I was a radio system admin on a 700 P25 system, and ran into this problem Now all manufacturers have ADP available. I tested and certified EF Johnson, Kenwood, Harris, Tait, and Relm radios did work with ADP encryption with our radios. Now, ADP is NOT included in the radios, unless requested by the customer

candlercoso

Feed Provider
Having had "Motorola Built" systems under my control before, it's hard to say. A lot of it depends on who is actually doing the work.
Some guys will make sure it's all done right and do a great job. Others will cut corners every chance they get. Just because it's "Motorola" doesn't mean anything about the techs.

The issue is when Motorola comes in and does one of these jobs, they do -everything-. Ideally you want an outside consultant or local Subject Matter Expert (SME) that is separate from the project that can watch over things. Making sure the job is done to spec, done to code, and done right is important. Relying on the company that sold you the system to do that isn't always a good idea.

Also, make sure that they do not read, write, or read/write disable ANY of your radios. Some shops will do this in an effort to make you go through their specific shop for any changes, reprogramming, etc. Remember, they are YOUR radios, not Motorola's, not the shops, etc. You need to have complete control over your radio system. That means no one is allowed to force you into using a specific shop for all your equipment and programming for the life of your system.
Thank you. I am making sure that I am involved in every step of the process

Status
Not open for further replies.