My feed audio sucks and don't know what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelita

Feed Provider
I hope I can get some help here. I've searched the forum endlessly on how to fix audio. People who listen are always complaining. I'm at a loss. I am not "techy" in regards to audio stuff so I've done the basic stuff. Sometimes it's clear as a bell, and others (most of the time) is patchy, hiccup-y, etc.

I am running a Uniden BCD436HP on a dedicated Windows Vista computer. I have it plugged into the sound card for "line in." I'm wondering if the audio is bad because I'm not all that close to the radio towers but my scanner does seem to have good signal.

Here's the link if anyone cares to try to help me. https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/22835

I did purchase the pro version of ProScan yesterday thinking that would help me fix settings but nope. :(

ChrisABQ

Simulcast is just terrible to deal with. I have suburbs here that have analog simulcast, sometimes it's okay, sometimes it's so annoying and unintelligible. It's just a beast to have to deal with it. Fortunately for our digital system, the nearest tower is less than a mile away so it's 0 error rate and clear all the time.

Kelita

Feed Provider
Simulcast is just terrible to deal with. I have suburbs here that have analog simulcast, sometimes it's okay, sometimes it's so annoying and unintelligible. It's just a beast to have to deal with it. Fortunately for our digital system, the nearest tower is less than a mile away so it's 0 error rate and clear all the time.

Thank you, I'm glad to know it's not on my end. I wish people would stop reporting the feed to me though because there's nothing I can do. /sigh.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Sadly, I'm in an HOA and I doubt they'd allow that. :(

If the antenna is inside, they can't make any more fuss about it than whatever you're using now. UHF and 800MHz Yagis aren't excessively large.

Kelita

Feed Provider
If the antenna is inside, they can't make any more fuss about it than whatever you're using now. UHF and 800MHz Yagis aren't excessively large.

Oh so that antenna can be used indoors? Do you think it's a signal problem rather than a simulcast problem?

byndhlptom

Similcast

The problem with simulcast is that you are receiving several identical signals that are all out of phase. Then the scanner has trouble syncing to one digital signal.

A directional antenna is an attempt to get a single signal (from a single tower) strong enough that the scanner can sync to it in spite of the lower level out of phase ones.

Before you spend money on a yagi..... you can experiment with a simple corner reflector around a simple whip to see if you can "null out" the offending towers. Google "corner reflector antenna". alternatively, borrow a couple of cookie sheet from the kitchen and use them to form the corner reflector.

you can also make the reflector out of aluminum foil wrapped around some cardboard for experimenting

$.02

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Oh so that antenna can be used indoors? Do you think it's a signal problem rather than a simulcast problem?

A yagi (or any decent directional antenna) will be helpful in either case, even if indoors.

Kelita

Feed Provider
I'll look into that, thanks! The things is, it's so inconsistent...the audio. Right now, it is clear as day. Seems to start crapping out at night.

Kelita

Feed Provider
The problem with simulcast is that you are receiving several identical signals that are all out of phase. Then the scanner has trouble syncing to one digital signal.

A directional antenna is an attempt to get a single signal (from a single tower) strong enough that the scanner can sync to it in spite of the lower level out of phase ones.

Before you spend money on a yagi..... you can experiment with a simple corner reflector around a simple whip to see if you can "null out" the offending towers. Google "corner reflector antenna". alternatively, borrow a couple of cookie sheet from the kitchen and use them to form the corner reflector.

you can also make the reflector out of aluminum foil wrapped around some cardboard for experimenting

$.02
I want to thank everyone who helped me in this thread.

I did some searching on the corner reflector and ended up making this and wow! What a difference. Sound is crystal clear, no crazy cutting out, etc. Even overnight, when the feed seems to get really garbled, last night it was clear as a bell.

Thanks again!!

Attachments

• 2018-01-28 09.23.36-3.jpg
    2018-01-28 09.23.36-3.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 192

deltabravo921

1st of all Yagi is a bad idea UNLESS your getting one signal ONLY. 2nd You want a vertical so that way it can all the teams signal. 3rd You may want to take that aluminum foil off the antenna one it looks stupid and two that's what's probably messing up that signal. 4th You either you should update your sound card or computer. Oh telling you about your info on your feed page the one that needs to be changed is Team-2 it's North Team-5 is west. You probably got confused cause those two teams do combine on frequencies

goaliebob99

It's not multi path but P25 coming from Tucson sucks as it's way over compressed. I have a BCD996XT and have the same audio decode problems you have even with a vertical antenna. I had people report to me all the time when I had Tucson's feed before I took it down. People dont understand the fact that the system the county put into place has horrible audio quality. I feel your pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.