What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaRradio

After a long time off (work, life etc) I have my HAM station back up and running. So now it's time to get the listening portion back up. I have not bought a new scanner since UCA did the rebanding a few years ago so it's time for a new one. These are the one's I am considering and was wondering what you all thought would be my best bet. I'm covered for VHF Lo/Hi and UHF systems with my current set up. Just need a new one for UCN.
https://www.bearcatwarehouse.com/scanners/bcd996p2-phase-ii-base-mobile-digital-scanner

https://www.bearcatwarehouse.com/scanners/bcd436hp-handheld-digital-police-scanner

https://www.bearcatwarehouse.com/scanners/uniden-bcd325p2-phase-ii-handheld-digital-police-scanner-

https://www.bearcatwarehouse.com/home/whistler-ws1040-handheld-digital-scanner

So which one do you all prefer that will get the job done for me and why?

ranger2004

#1 I have one and it can be upgrade to DMR and Provoice.
Either are used much. But I have the DMR upgrade.

#2 is a good choice also.

#3 not so good.

#4 I don't think this can upgraded to do DMR NXDN Provoice

Just my thoughts.

BP

SaRradio

Thank You for the response. I think it is going to be the BCD436 if that will do what I need with the UCA system and it sounds so far like it will.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Twins

Thank You for the response. I think it is going to be the BCD436 if that will do what I need with the UCA system and it sounds so far like it will.

I was going to suggest such. This radio is incredible. It does have some things, like all radios, that could be improved, but I am very happy with the two I own.

I own the GRE-version of that Whistler and it comes with issues. First of all, with Whistler, the DMR does not track conversations like the 436/536. The Whistler tends to have psychotic decompensation in the presence of linear simulcast distortion. Furthermore, the Whistler likely has that crap BNC module that tends to go south after a while, loosening issues. This was the reason I bought the 436HP.

The 436/536 offer the GPS function.

The memory took me a while to figure out, but when I did, it works great.

I believe you made a good choice. I would recommend a 16GB micro SD if you are recording things.

Last edited:

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
U(tah) C(ommunications) A(uthority) - Weber Simulcast.

Some traffic can be heard from the Mt. Ogden Repeater but not all

belvdr

No longer interested in living
If the system you wish to monitor is simulcast, I would think long and hard about getting a 436. I'm at wits end trying to monitor the Ohio MARCS system. It's a nice radio, but for my system, it might as well be a rock.

kc7rhw

radio scanners

i have a uniden BCD536 HP i realy love this radio i have the pro voice upgrade done.
i travel with mine in new mexico and tx that have pro voice works really well ,
on none encriped police channels . but very hard to program so i use the zip code for now

kc7rhw

would you be able to help me with my BCD 536 i having the same problem with mine can not figure the memory out this is David

bojangle

One consideration that you might think about is if you look at the UCAN system data. You will find very little digital usage. Perhaps in the distant future it will expand. But for now I only see 6 instances of digital in the system data. In my opinion analog will do the job.

N7YUO

Very little digital on UCAN, but,
National Parks: Zion, Arches, digital.
Hill AFB: p25 digital
Go to Idaho: ICAWIN: p25 digital
Go to Wyoming: Wyo-Link p25 digital

Status
Not open for further replies.