WS1080: Possible Bug; Weather Priority operates independently of other priority function

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarmFamily

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,
First off, thanks to Wendy and Whistler for setting up the upgrade program, I am currently using my PSR-800 upgraded by Whistler to a WS1080, so technically it's now a WS1080 which is why I'm posting here.

That said, I was having a problem where every ~5 seconds, regardless if receiving a transmission or not (paused on a TGRP), conventional or digital, I would have a very brief fraction of a second interruption where the system would "mute" for that same brief fraction of a second, and the display would blink to "FM" for that same brief fraction of a second, then go back to whatever it was doing.

I had priority disabled. I had no channels in any scanlist set to priority. After scouring this forum, the web, help in EZScan, and the "easier to follow" online scanner manual done online by some blessed soul, I understood that the expected behavior for any priority actions would take place when not receiving a transmission.

I tried everything. However, after hours of tweaking and restoring, etc, I noticed that when listening to a NOAA broadcast, there was no interruption to the NOAA broadcast, which is, of course, conventional FM.

What was the problem?? I had one freq in the Weather section indeed set to priority, and the check interval was default at 6 seconds. AARRG!! :)

What's the "bug"?? Apparently the Weather priority works independently of how "priority" works regarding the rest of the scanner, and will indeed check for the weather signal at the set interval regardless of transmission or idle. This is why it was briefly hitting "FM" and going back every 6 seconds, interrupting transmissions and generally making me slowly insane.

What was the fix?? I deselected the priority check box on the weather frequency I'd selected. D'OH!!

I'm posting it here because I'm not entirely sure it's a "bug" per se, but perhaps it's the expected behavior. I didn't see it documented anywhere and couldn't find any other references to this behavior on this scanner (PSR-800 or WS1080), so I'm posting it here in case others have this issue and want to know how to resolve it. Perhaps it's known expected behavior, but it was driving me crazy and counter-intuitive to how priority works with everything else on the scanner.

If it's indeed a bug I'll happily send in an email, but after reading the bug submission sticky, it appears confirming it's a bug is best before sending Whistler the email.

It may be, for all I know, the intended performance of a priority NOAA channel, so perhaps a few kind folks with the WS1080 could check this issue and confirm it's not just me, and Whistler can confirm whether this is expected behavior, or needs to be addressed in the future. For now I just make sure none of the weather freqs are selected priority and all works just fine again.

Thanks again Wendy and Whistler, and sorry for the long post, I hope it helps someone else from tearing out their hair, believe me, I've lost enough for us all. :)

HF

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
While selected, the weather priority feature will always check for alert tones on the specific NOAA frequency regardless of normal priority settings. It is the intended performance, not a bug.

I always just leave the weather priority feature turned off.

DJ11DLN

I've always considered the WX priority to be something of a "Swiss Army knife" feature and I don't use it. I have a dedicated WX alert radio instead...my scanners have better things to be doing than listening for WX alerts.

That said, if you want the WX alert feature to work, you have to have the WX priority enabled -- unless you just have your scanner sit on your preferred NOAA frequency, which in my opinion would be a colossal waste. That's how it's supposed to work, and it has to be as you observed "independent" from the "regular" priority feature. So it's not a bug, IMHO.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
Not a bug, it's a feature. :) I too was slowly going insane with a massive blip every 5-6 seconds. Took me a while to narrow down what it was. It's off for good now.

HarmFamily

Premium Subscriber
Hi gang,

Thanks for the replies and agree with all, it is a little odd that it works the way it does. Definitely leaving it priority off given the nature of operation, I have other radios for weather alerts and honestly not that important to me as a feature.

Glad I wasn't the only one who found this a little troublesome, it indeed made me a little nuts trying to sort it out!

I'd change the title to remove "possible bug" if I could, but I think leaving the issue and resolution up might be helpful for others who stumble upon this issue. Maybe a mod can edit the words "possible bug" out of the topic title?

Thanks again for all the responses gang, have a great weekend!

HF

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
How?

@sbobola44 Assuming YOU have the WS1080, you simply turn off Priority within the WX channel settings. Push the little button with Skywarn logo on it, when it stops on your local weather frequency you press "menu" button and scroll to Priority, use the right-left arrows and move it to OFF. Of course SAVE any changes. Make sure it's set to OFF in the EZSCAN form too, as you will just reload that interruption again next time you update the scanner/microSD card. If you have it on for any of those 7 NOAA freqs? you get that interruption

Last edited by a moderator:

Voyager

Agreed - not a bug. If they were to change it so turning off Channel Priority disables WX Priority, someone would post complaining that was the bug.

Bottom line is that you enable/disable WX Priority separately from Channel Priority.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
I've always considered the WX priority to be something of a "Swiss Army knife" feature and I don't use it. I have a dedicated WX alert radio instead...my scanners have better things to be doing than listening for WX alerts.

You know, that is a GREAT idea, thanks! I live on the water and surfing, fishing and boating are all important to me.... aka, I'm always watching the weather closely. I love having the WX priority feature on my scanners, but I of coarse HATE the horrible break in audio every x seconds to do that check.

So this begs the question, why in the world haven't I just bought one of those $30 WX alert receivers on amazon or something?? I'm such an IDIOT!! :D

Anywhoozle!

Status
Not open for further replies.