• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-790 issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDOXF

Feed Provider
Picked up a remote mount 790 off the auction site. Radio is functioning and had a few NWS stations programmed and RX is fine. Unable to communicate with KPG-44D software (display shows PC and then get comm/check settings error). Further in trying to check the firmware, radio seems to ignore the power on with PF2 down and powers up like normal.What am I missing?

What type of cable? USB or serial? If serial are you using a USB to serial adapter? Check your com port. Can you try another cable? Checking the firmware is only possible if within the software that check box has been enabled.

KDOXF

Feed Provider
Non-OEM serial KPG-43 from KJ6ZWL on Amazon. Always had luck with him in the past. Serial to USB adapter that I have programmed numerous Kenwood and Icoms through as well on same machine. First 790 though. Adapter and KPU com port matches and have tried various.

KDOXF

Feed Provider
Tried an old desktop I had running XP but with a serial port and all is well.

gutter89

there is also a KPG-44d FS version for the radios used by CAL FIRE and others if you think its not a cable or computer issue look in to the other version as a possible issue

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
KPG-44D FS and KPG-44D will communicate with either firmware load. It won't make a difference in communications.

Look into your cable. Sometimes an adapter will not work with certain cables. My genuine KPG-43 cable won't work with certain FTDI chipsets that don't provide power to the TTL converter.

car5le

Premium Subscriber
I ran into a similar issue with KPG-44D. Using a serial port cable, one TK-790H would not program using a computer with Windows 10. However, when I used my XP computer it worked just fine. Every other 790H, 790, 890 or 690 programmed fine using Windows 10 except for the one 790H...

Status
Not open for further replies.