Stereo Input on Combined Plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4zhg

Hello

I'm in the process of upgrading the equipment providing my feed. Have two 996P2s and a new laptop. I'm planning to provide a stereo feed (2 scanners) and ran into a snag.

I thought the laptop had a separate plug for the microphone. It does not. It has one plug that's supposed to provide both headphone and microphone, and no way of telling if stereo microphone input is possible. Laptop is an HP 15-ba015wm

Thoughts on whether I should consider a USB microphone input for this? Does one even exist?

Thanks in Advance

Frank N4ZHG

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
I'm in the process of upgrading the equipment providing my feed. Have two 996P2s and a new laptop. I'm planning to provide a stereo feed (2 scanners) and ran into a snag.

I thought the laptop had a separate plug for the microphone. It does not. It has one plug that's supposed to provide both headphone and microphone, and no way of telling if stereo microphone input is possible. Laptop is an HP 15-ba015wm

Thoughts on whether I should consider a USB microphone input for this? Does one even exist?

I am not familiar with that specific laptop, but I would be surprised if the jack supported a stereo microphone. Does the laptop have a line-level input jack? If so, it would most likely support stereo.

A stereo USB audio interface is certainly an option. I use one, although I don't use it for a stereo feed (I use it for two separate feeds). Here's what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/BEHRINGER-U-Control-Low-Latency-Interface-Digital/dp/B000KW2YEI

It is USB-powered and is crystal-clear. A fabulous interface! It can be used for a stereo feed if your feed software supports stereo.

You may also be able to use two monaural USB interfaces for a stereo feed, but I've never tried it and have no idea if it would work.

n4zhg

That particular one isn't going to work for me because the plugs are 3.5mm coming from the scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.